Picked up the special edition today in Canada

Electronic Boutique finally got the special edition into my local mall. Two whole copies. I was sooo tempted to drop my own name to the guy at the counter; I asked "have you sold many of these?" and when he asked why I was asking, I was going to be all "well, you know, I have a few scenarios published on the CD" ahem ahem

Of course, the kid at the counter was probably all of 16 years old, and apparently they only got two copies of CMBB into the store, so I didn't bother with my little moment of glory and simply asked about Squad Assault instead...

Anyway, now I have a second copy of CMBB to give away to a friend. Sorry if the fact this is in retail stores in Canada isn't news, I hadn't yet seen it on the shelves.

They got several copies in to the NE Futureshop quite soon after the release date... and at the very reasonable price of $39.

Still have no idea how the Canadian price matched up with the US one so neatly. I tell ya, software retail has me more and more convinced that whoever's in charge of pricing just spins a wheel, multiplies that price by the current phase of the moon, then sets it to $60-$70 anyway if they had a good dinner the previous night.

Still, if that whole insane process somehow ends up with me getting CMBB for less than even Battlefront offers, in US dollars no less, then I certainly won't complain.

Originally posted by Officer Meatbeef:

They got several copies in to the NE Futureshop quite soon after the release date... and at the very reasonable price of $39.

Still have no idea how the Canadian price matched up with the US one so neatly. I tell ya, software retail has me more and more convinced that whoever's in charge of pricing just spins a wheel, multiplies that price by the current phase of the moon, then sets it to $60-$70 anyway if they had a good dinner the previous night.

Still, if that whole insane process somehow ends up with me getting CMBB for less than even Battlefront offers, in US dollars no less, then I certainly won't complain.

All right. That's the second or third neighbor to the north that's qouted the price as $39.

What's the conversion rate between your funny colored money and our newly introduced funny colored money? 1.25? 1.5? Or did the US coloring the money devalue it to match yours?

Whatever it is, this is the one I'm going to BFC with!!!! Fix or do somefink!

[ October 25, 2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I was sooo tempted to drop my own name to the guy at the counter; I asked "have you sold many of these?" and when he asked why I was asking, I was going to be all "well, you know, I have a few scenarios published on the CD" ahem ahem

I'm suprised the kid didn't recognize you when you walked into the store.

[ October 25, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: Runyan99 ]

Perhaps the Canadian Gov't (in cooperation with business/industry) should instead develop policies that promote "productivity" of the workforce rather than using a weak Canadian dollar as a crutch to prop us up. US productivity growth has been outstripping ours on an annual basis for something like 10-20 years from what I can recall. Increased productivity means more goods produced for $1 or in other words more cheaply. One factor that contributes to productivity is modern automated equipment so this rise in the dollar is beneficial in the sense that purchasing such equipment to improve our productivity has become cheaper (e.g., a piece of equipment (er, I mean Panzer (gotta keep this on topic) that costs US$500K would have cost us approx. $800K CDN a year or two ago when we were at $0.62 US. Now that same line (I mean Panzer) would cost something like $650K CDN with the dollar at current levels.)

Anyhow to bring it back on topic, CMBB is also at $39.99 CDN here in Toronto at EB, but we get to pay additional sales taxes (15% in all) compared to our friends in Calgary.

Andrew

[ October 25, 2003, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Kulin ]