Recovering Armor

Quick question on recovering armor in Operations...

The manual states "Be aware that a vehicle can only be repaired if its crew escapes from the battle map". This seems to imply that you have to move the crew off-map to have a hope of getting that knocked out vehicle back someday.

BUT...in several other spots, the manual says that if you move units off map, they won't be available for the next battle.

So should I have my tank crews run for cover and hide, or run them right off the map?

in several other spots, the manual says that if you move units off map, they won't be available for the next battle.
This pertains to actual combat units, not crews.

So should I have my tank crews run for cover and hide, or run them right off the map?

Make it a habit of running crews off the map, even if playing scenarios or QBs. The points your opponents gain from killing them far outweighs anything they can accomplish on the battlefield.

Bump this one up...

I play operations all the time and had not thought about this before. I had assumed that a crew that survives a battle in an operation and had not been captured counts as "escaping" the battlefield, but does the manual actually mean that abandoned vehicles will not be recovered UNLESS the crew is exited off the map prior to the end of the battle in question? I must admit I have not yet seen a single vehicle recovered in any of my ops in CMBB yet so maybe my habit of hiding crews in nearby trees is the problem.

Can someone clarify this - do these crews actually have to be walked off map?

Cheers

Al

• 1 year later...

I noticed that no one has ever answered this one. i did a search and this is the exact question i had all the way back to the early days of beyond overload, i had hoped that cmbb would have clarified. could someone at battlefront answer this? maybe a good one for the faq page. smile.gif

It's a bit unclear, because also when the crew dies inside the vehicle or doesn't make it to the edge, the vehicle is sometimes still towed away between battles. And as it is rather difficult to discern between normal reinforcements and repaired AFV's unless you really know that there's no special bn/rgt/div reserves or such, I don't know if those removed vehicles return or not.

It would be great if abandoned guns could be repaired as well, btw.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

You can do either. If you hide the crew somewhere that is not cut off at the end of that battle, they will be available in the next battle. Same if you exit them off a friendly map edge.

so what you are saying is: it doesn't seem to matter whether the crew exits or not they might be back. is that right?

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

You can do either. If you hide the crew somewhere that is not cut off at the end of that battle, they will be available in the next battle. Same if you exit them off a friendly map edge.

Next battle? Doesn't it normally take more time than that? Depending on settings, of course...

Originally posted by Sergei:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Next battle? Doesn't it normally take more time than that? Depending on settings, of course... </font>

Originally posted by Sergei:

Do you know for sure that it wasn't just a reinforcement?

I am playing a big operation and I had at least 2 and probably 3 Russian inf guns recrewed in the next battle. They were damaged, i.e. the crews suffered casualties, but I kept them by the abandoned guns.

Had a T-34 with a gun damage return, and that was really a surprise.

I *think* (with a very strong emphasis on "think") that points are not counted between battles in Operations, only the final kill/flag tally in the end of the last battles matters.

But then again, I might easily be wrong, I haven't played that many Ops (apart from "A Day in the Cavalry", which was truely brilliant)

Well, if you accept only the final kills count, killing the same tank twice will only get you points once (since the game would check the starting roster (plus reinforcements of course) against the final roster).

And in fact, maybe "killing" a tank, and that tank gets recovered, you don't get any points at all...worth checking/testing. I don't have much time right now because of my exams, but I'll try and run tests when I'm done (around the 22th of this month)

No need, I just tested it. I had a five-battle, three-day (so two battles were night) operation. In the first battle a Pz-IV was abandoned. In the last battle it came back, repaired. In the AAR Germans were reported as having lost one AFV.

So, you get kill points even if the abandoned vehicle gets repaired.