Gaps between buildings

In a future version of CM, i'd like to see these shrink, get blocked or otherwise impeded - any small village in CM, BO and BB, is a little maze, except that tanks can drive through almost anyhow they please.

It irritates me - especially defending on a built up map, as the mass of housing provides almost infinate, well covered, avenues of attack.

Can we see some kind of cover on the same tile as the smaller houses in future CM? Walls/hedges/fences on the edges of the tiles would be good too.

Well kind of.....your right to say what you say.

but it has never really yanked my chain because I consider the grafics representative (probably spelt wrong sorry) small towns in CMBO (I've never been to Russia so I can only speak of the western European scenarios) are nothing like, and would probably only house 1 to 2 hundred people there just too small as a rule of thumb

the lack of housing simply makes up for having lots more closer together and the fact that tanks can not move through houses (as they occasionally did)so overall the current system works well.

HOWEVER you are right about unlimited avenues of approach thats why I buy (if possible)road blocks when defending 'towns' and built up areas, I do think that scenario designers should consider this more when allocating forces so the prudent defender could channel the enemies attacks. more often a road block is thrown across a road in open country merely forcing a slight delay around it.

anyway thats my 2 pennies worth

[ January 05, 2003, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Mr Byte ]

Maybe certain house tiles can be coded as if they are also "rough" terrain to simulate houses with "stuff" lying about them such as sheds and woodpiles that would render vehicle movement around them difficult? These can be used together with normal house tiles to create more complex villages etc.? Best, Richard

More complex tiles would be good.

As a matter of comparison I look around relevant areas of my home village (European [british], 1930s and earlier) and there is no way a tank could get between them, and going through them would be folly even in a modern MBT. Where there are gaps (and there are many low level terraced houses) these are frequently filled with trees/walls/small buildings/chocolate cheesecake. It isn't atypical of a European village either.

It's worth remembering that settlements in Europe look nothing like their American equivalents. American towns tend to be more dispersed, with lots of space around individual houses - even more so today in this suburban era.

Village types vary enormously by country, and then by region. But the present villages do not resemble villages in Western Europe. There, most villages, particularly the older parts of villages, have houses adjoining one another or very nearly so. In some cases you couldn't get a tank through there unless you wanted to demolish foot-thick stone walls. Also, gardens and stone walls are often common - there's much more cover around a house than CM suggests. And streets tend to be narrower.

The Finnish villages I've seen were more like CM villages, open, with space between houses. Then again, I've only been in the southern part of the country.

This does affect tactics. There's is much less cover now than there should be, and as others have pointed out, you can approach a village from too many directions.

But villages are about the right size now. A few hundred people would have been pretty common for a farming community in the earlier part of this century.

Size is fine -I've got no problem with that.

It's just that villages, at least in W. Europe, tend to be a closely packed nucleus that you couldn't get a tank through with more widely dispersed outskirts. You also have some walled villages/town which are a maze of small, adjoining buildings with narrow streets. The current CM engine doesn't represent these very well, as with the smaller houses thereis always a gap all the way around it.

Well, making more of the terrain additive would be a helpful thing to have in any engine rewrite.

That way you could add roads or buildings to other terrain, instead of having to have pre-constructed tiles with all the possibilities (like the road+clear, road+woods, road+pine, etc.). Having things additive would allow you to put buildings in brush, rough, open, etc.

I think the goal in the next engine is to have 10 or even 5 metre terrain tiles, which would allow truly European villages, etc.

I second the motion for walls and hedges on the EDGE of the terrain tiles. This would allow two terrain types in one tile, and would permit you to put a hedge between two houses without the necessity of the houses being 20 metres apart.

Goodale, is that really you?

Not a Grr or angry face in sight, nor a whiff of TNT, molten or otherwise.

While we're at it... why not buildings more than 2 storeys tall?!?!?
IIRC, the "2 storey" buildings are just abstractions - if you look at the facings they have more than 2 floors.

Houses that go on slopes would be good too - you see alot of those in Europe. Oh, and a map tool that tells you if you can't put a terrain item on a square (like putting house on a slope at present).