WTF? Can you give me an answer?

I was playing Citadel Schwerpunkt, at the CMBB demo. The situation was like this: I had sent alot of guys to the front. I think it was about 6 of them. One of them were my only commander. All of them were killed, ofcourse, witch they should be; facing dussins of tanks! ;)

After that I waited for the tanks. I wanted them to get close, so I wouldn´t waste any unneccesery ammo. And then, all the sudden, just when I was thinking, like: "Hmm, this will be a hard one, but my guns are still intact all of them, so I might do it!" The familiar trumpet sounded and the text: "Major Defeat" fillt my screen. "WTF?" I thought.

Now, why did this happen? Do I loose when my last commander die, or what? Otherwise I would like to know what happned!

For a starter, you could tell which side you played as. And what do you mean with "six guys"? Six men? Or six units? You know, the polygon guys on the screen do not represent individual soldiers but something like 1-4 men.

What was the turn at the time? Your forces didn't autosurrender, right?

Hey! Do I loose cuz I order cease fire? Doesn´t that just meen that my troops shouldn´t fire 'til I tell them to?

Ah, all becomes clear now.

The "Cease Fire" button means that you are offering to stop playing the game at that point. It is an offer to the other side (human or AI) and is handled secretly by the computer. When both sides offer a cease fire, then the game will end.

The Strategic AI is programmed to be fairly liberal in when it decides to offer a cease fire.

So what happened is that you (perhaps unintentionally) offered to end the game. A while later the computer decided to also offer to end the game: Result, the game ends before all of the turns are exhausted.

The "Cease Fire" button is therefore not an order to your troops, but an offer to the enemy.

If you want your troops to not shoot, then in CMBB the proper commands are to tell them to "Hide", and for good measure, give them a short "Covered Arc". It may be sufficient to just tell them to hide, though.

If you want to give this order to a bunch of guys at once, you should be able to drag a rectangle around them, and give a group order to Hide.

One thing I forgot to mention: When your cease fire offer is accepted it doesn't necessarily mean that you lose. It is different from a "Surrender" in that regard. What happens when the game ends in a cease fire is that the victory conditions are evaluated. If you happen to be losing when you offer a cease fire, then you will lose. If you happen to be winning, and the other side agrees to a cease fire, then you will win.

and if you want to win this one as russians, set up your guns so they're firing sideways instead of along the length of the map; so they all have firing lanes running crosswise at about the same spot of the map.... you could put about half your guns on one side and another half on the other, each group facing inward and with only that lateral los (line of sight)... the best spot in my opinion is that valley ... i think it's about 2/3 across the map (1/3 from the russian or east end)... set up your stuff in and around there so and is invisible until germans start cresting the hill above... or even a bit later... once that german spearhead first finds a 'hot spot' (lots of your interlocking firing lanes)... you should 'toast' (eliminate) a lot of tanks in short order if things go well...