In deadly combat

I have just read "In deadly combat" by Gottlob Bidermann who served most of WWII on the Eastern front. An excellent book it had several graphic descriptions of his early days as a 37mm Pak gunner.

Later as a Leutnant in July 1944 he came into a village and was attacked by two T-26s!

I was suprized to see that T-26s were still being used (in the Northern or Central sector).

Recommended book

ISBN 0-7006-1122-3

T-26's? Wow, I had thought only Finnish Army used them at that time... tongue.gif

At that time in Finland, there was a Soviet tank reported as destroyed by a Finnish PFaust team, which wasn't of any known Russian type. Based on description, it probably was a L&L M3 Grant. In 1944! :eek: Maybe they belonged to a penal battalion :D

Great book..so good I also went and bought a Hardback version for my library.

Currently close to completing a similar book entitled "Blood Red Snow." Features the experiences of an Eastern Front heavy machine gunner...very graphical...and very very sad.

Great text commentary about the time his division were issued their first Ferdinands and how devestating they were against T-34's etc.

[ February 18, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: MG-42 ]

Originally posted by Hans:

I have just read "In deadly combat" by Gottlob Bidermann who served most of WWII on the Eastern front. An excellent book it had several graphic descriptions of his early days as a 37mm Pak gunner.

Later as a Leutnant in July 1944 he came into a village and was attacked by two T-26s!

I was suprized to see that T-26s were still being used (in the Northern or Central sector).

Recommended book

ISBN 0-7006-1122-3

Definitely a good book. As for the T-26s, I suspect they were actually T-70s.

CBB

Originally posted by MG-42:

Currently close to completing a similar book entitled "Blood Red Snow." Features the experiences of an Eastern Front heavy machine gunner on the Eastern Front...very graphical...and very sad.

Great text commentary about the time his division were issued their first Ferdinands and how devestating they were against T-34's etc.

Right up till they abandoned them.

Did you ever figure out the unit?

I thought he was originally in a Cavalry division.

{edited because I missed your edit}

[ February 18, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Lars ]

Originally posted by Lars:

Lars,

I re-edited my post again :rolleyes: He wasn't in 21.Infanterie-Division. He was in a cavalry division - the 24. Panzer-Division (The Leaping Horsemen) in one of the regiments who escaped the Stalingrad encirclement. All I can tell you about the introduction of the Ferdinands was that he first references them on 23rd November 1943 at the Nikopol Bridgehead

Hope that helps and apologies for my previous errors..the words dumb and ass spring to mind smile.gif

Regards

MG

[ February 18, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: MG-42 ]

Originally posted by Gpig:

Wha?

I didn't know any thing larger than a company (or so) of men ever escaped the Stalingrad encirclement.

Were there other large units that escaped Stalingrad?

Thanks,

Gpig

Gpig,

The author was shipped in as part of newly recruited and trained reinforcements for 24. Panzer-Division. Although he did take part in a supply run into the centre of Stalingrad soon after arrival, he returned to Division Supply Depot out on the steppe, where soon after he escaped as the threat of encirclement became imminent Apologies for genralising things to the extent that it has caused confusion

Kindest

MG

Mr Spkr and V

Yes I marked about half a dozen "made for CMBB" scenarios. We should coordinate and not duplicate efforts. The two I was most interested in was the first encounter with Soviet tanks in the village (which I suspect has already been done) and the second one was the "escape" which involved the T-26s/T-70s.

Originally posted by MG-42:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Lars:

Lars,

I re-edited my post again :rolleyes: He wasn't in 21.Infanterie-Division. He was in a cavalry division - the 24. Panzer-Division (The Leaping Horsemen) in one of the regiments who escaped the Stalingrad encirclement. All I can tell you about the introduction of the Ferdinands was that he first references them on 23rd November 1943 at the Nikopol Bridgehead

Hope that helps and apologies for my previous errors..the words dumb and ass spring to mind smile.gif

Regards

MG </font>