anyone use "human wave" orders?

I use it when running across small open distances, when I want to minimize my time of exposure. If there were almost no fire coming in, I'd simply use run, but if there is a possibility of a machinegun firing a burst, then I use human wave. Although I do prefer run to human wave, because of the smaller command delay and none of that brisk walk crap.

Hmm ... I use it slightly differently. On occasion I have issued human wave orders in order force my opponent to concentrate his assets on my low-quality marching troops. The gain is that I can then move up some other assets rather undisturbed and put them in a good position without being harrased by opposing fire.

For example: I recently played a game where I had no vehicles left and all infantery close to the main flag was supressed by my opponent's three Stummels. I had two ATR's on the other side of the map and needed to move them into LOS of the Stummels. Said and done I ordered my suppressed troops to human wave up to the Stummels, while I ordered my ATR's to move into a good position. My opponent had no real option but to stand firm and deal with my human wave. He did it well, but was later on shot by my ATRs. Was it worth it? Yeah, I had fresh reserve infantry which could move up after the Stummels were killed.

M

• 4 months later...

What's that scenario in which the Russians have to attack some German infantry dug in alongside a river? It's an all-infantry small scenario on the disk but I forget the name. Anyway, my friend, a complete novice, simply gave all the Russian infantry the human wave command, and he had a total success. The benefit was that the Russian infantry arrived on top of the germans all at the same time, perhaps the only possible way to deal with the HMGs. This was especially good since that scenario is only about 10 turns long, as I recall. There was no time to scout, fire and maneuver, formulate clever plans, or whatever.

I use it not to bayonet charge right on top of defenders, but to cross open areas well short of them. I aim to get to cover 100-150 yards from defenders. Once there I just shoot it out, only advancing the rest of the way when the defenders are pinned or running away.

It is much faster than "advance" a few squads at a time. It does leave a residue of broken guys behind, but company HQs can pick those up and get most of them back into the fight eventually.