Known Bug? - Second fall of france - other notes

If the allies take and lose Paris in the 'overlord' invasion the game treates it as the surender of a major country. All FF units that are in france disband and the entire country turns gray (german). If this problem can not be fixed perhaps a general notice should be posted that the allies must not take Paris till they are sure they can hold it as they will lose control of any ports or citys they do not have units in.

I haven't done extensive play testing but it seams that the resouces in France will develop beyond level five even if you do not hold paris - bug? It seams you can link up with and newtral VF and use its capital?

I haven't seen a siberian transfer in months during IP play. I don't know if this is a sign of my good play as the allies in delaying the axis (not) or the simple fact that everyone now knows what variables effect this event. I do not see any reason to give the axis a new 'life' (clean out the rest of the newtral after getting the easy front armys in russia) for poor play earlier in the game. Can/should you develop a random number gererator that will cause the siberin tansfer after a certian date and the USSR and USA are in the war? It seams this would provide better play balance, more historical (the lack of attack in the east is what freed up these troops) and elimiate this gamey feature.

thanks

Let me add some detail to Iron Ranger's 2-different subjects:

1) When the Axis Liberate a country for the 2nd-time; (Axis conquers, Allies conquers, Axis 2nd-time) the Allies lose all their land/ports which are not occupied. It happened in Iron Ranger vs Rambo in Norway. When I took Oslo back, Iron Ranger lost Bergen since it wasn't occupied. It was very deadly for I-Ranger. Makes sense that after a country has been rolled over a few times, the entire landscape wouldn't convert back-and-forth. In this case it was very good for Rambo, I will keep my eyes on this when I'm Allies.

2) The Siberian Transfer: The Axis players sort of know not to go too deep into Russia until they are ready.

Idea: Allow Russia to make the one-time phone call to get the transfer, but the one-time help they get is based on date or something. Just an idea. It works fine now, it's player's knowledge of the rule.

Do the developers have any comments?

[QB] If the allies take and lose Paris in the 'overlord' invasion the game treates it as the surender of a major country.

This is the same for all countries, any time a capital is captured, regardless if it is the first or second time to fall into enemy hands it is treated as a surrender.

All FF units that are in france disband and the entire country turns gray (german).

True but only the ones on French soil, the FF units that might still be in the UK etc., will not surrender.

I haven't done extensive play testing but it seams that the resouces in France will develop beyond level five even if you do not hold paris - bug? It seams you can link up with and newtral VF and use its capital?

This depends on which side you are refering to and which resources. If it is Axis occupied France they will increase up to max of 8, if it is Allied liberating France it could return to max 10 without holding Paris only if there is a direct link to another major capital which would have to be Moscow. This could happen in two ways, direct from Moscow to France through Poland, Germany etc if such an Allied line of hexes exists, or actually through North Africa, if you can draw a line from Moscow to Iraq, all the way to Spannish Morroco, across the Gibraltar straight, through Spain and up to France. The Gibraltar straight is considered a link of land hexes.

I haven't seen a siberian transfer in months during IP play. I don't know if this is a sign of my good play as the allies in delaying the axis (not) or the simple fact that everyone now knows what variables effect this event.

Could be, the transfer system was designed to more or less execute when you need it, sometimes earlier then when is absolutely crucial, and sometimes later to add spice and incertainty to game play. It may not be perfect but is under consideration for revision for future versions.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This depends on which side you are refering to and which resources. If it is Axis occupied France they will increase up to max of 8, if it is Allied liberating France it could return to max 10 without holding Paris only if there is a direct link to another major capital which would have to be Moscow. This could happen in two ways, direct from Moscow to France through Poland, Germany etc if such an Allied line of hexes exists, or actually through North Africa, if you can draw a line from Moscow to Iraq, all the way to Spannish Morroco, across the Gibraltar straight, through Spain and up to France. The Gibraltar straight is considered a link of land hexes.

Just did a detailed play test of this. The resources in France (and any where you can link to) will advance to ten if you hold a continues line from the EDGE of paris to the resource. The allies do NOT need to control Paris to use it as supply base for thier resources. If you do not control the hexs around Paris your resources will stay at '5' other wise they will advance to '10'

- Sorry for the confusion above, all of this referes to the liberation of France -

[ May 05, 2003, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

Just did a detailed play test of this. The resources in France (and any where you can link to) will advance to ten if you hold a continues line from the EDGE of paris to the resource. The allies do NOT need to control Paris to use it as supply base for thier resources. If you do not control the hexs around Paris your resources will stay at '5' other wise they will advance to '10'
Interesting analysis as I've never noticed this before but nonetheless correct. This was not ever intended but consider it a secret play feature available to all sides under the same conditions. ;)

Hubert

The fact that the French get to have so much FF if they retreat right away is a gamey player option and would that be historical? The French wouldn't abandon their homes, families, etc... for the sake of the War... There should be a cap and it is sorta buggy that if a unit is designated FF after the first fall of France that it should ever turn back over... When a countries surrenders if there are enemy units in that countries territory they may be treated friendly by the former ally or hostile...depending.. Should be a random factor on the surrender of all resources,ports,cities at that point... Especially in Anti-Axis Nations