Makin an offer you cant refuse(hubert, SuperTed please read)

Ok, this will sound stupid and corny, but i have a friend who is in my mohaa clan and is my neighbor, that visits hack-sites frequently. With him i can keep tabs on the hacking and cracking community, if you want me to(free of charge, nothing is in it for me, i just want this game to come out as soon as possible). I'll keep an eye out for it, and if i find anything, i will give you the website and any other info.

Concerned gamer, Baron CVM

Hackers should not be such a problem. And an internet Gestapo should not be such a solution.

I've read through the saga of discussions on Official Update and decided not to waste any more time there. Legal or not, IF game data files *can* be editted, they probably will be. What needs to happen is for proprietary or other sensitive information for games or demos to be embedded in the source code and compiled as executable files, which for languages like C++ and Eiffel are very difficult to hack. IF certain game data files should not be editted and shared, then they should be encrypted or protected somehow. Unsecured data files simply create a bad situation.

IF game data files containing game parameters and map information *can* be editted, it makes more sense for developers to provide a full-function editor up front as part of the game package rather then wait for some third-party hacker punk to do it on the side and then complain about it. Nobody hacks TOAW because they don't need to. Hubert has indicated that he will consider a more robust editor in the future, so we should all be patient and see what happens.

Battlefront and its staff of computer game experts should also recognize the customer demand for and potential of a game design engine based on SC and perhaps help with its development. Don't get all defensive and legalistic - be proactive and leave the hackers in the dust. smile.gif

Don't get all defensive and legalistic - be proactive and leave the hackers in the dust.
Well I think the special circumstances and requests for clarifications, by yourself included, were more than warranted and I wouldn't consider it excessive defensive and legalistic posturing.

In answer to your inquiry, as outlined by Moon, if you own a copy of the game and decide to edit game files, that is entirely up to you, a similar example would be like scribbling notes in a book that you own. Now making game file modifications that change how the game plays PUBLIC requires permission and that is a simple rule to follow. If you are not sure, just ask and as I've said before there may even be official editors released in the future. This strict limitation of course does not include modding the graphics and sound files as this is encouraged and there are already fansites that include such work.

Now just to reiterate how this is different from cracking the demo (in order to avoid the possible flurry of follow up questions), modifying demo code that can make the game playable beyond the original limitation, regardless of how easy this may have appeared to some people, makes it in effect a full game where there is no longer the need to purchase a full version, and that is clearly illegal.

Hope that helps,

Hubert