Finding Opponents in the Finder Forum

Iron Ranger

Is it me or are there alot less people heading to the Finder Forum these days? I know its almost summer (and I won't be online alot eather) but for the thousands of people that I assume bought this game you seam to see almost the same 5-10 people every week with one or two newbies thrown in the mix. This is the first and only game that I care to play/try online, so is this normal?

Its iteresting that Zappsweden's Ladder has over fifty names but how many have more then 2 games listed? Is the learning curve too great or does it require just too much time to play once you become and face experenced players (30+ hours for one game is not unreal)? Just an observation.

Originally posted by Iron Ranger:

Is it me or are there alot less people heading to the Finder Forum these days?

Speaking for myself:

Most people don't care to continue a game pbem when they are not online, and I don't care to start anymore when I still have unfinished ones. If people were more agreeable to keeping it moving with pbem, then I would start more.

I don't have a problem with the top-flight players like Terif, Rambo, Codename Condor, etc., (simply because they wipe me out early), but if I run into a low/intermediate player (like myself) and the war drags on with no clear-cut advantage into 1942-43, then some of my opponents seem to lose interest in continuing.

Or perhaps they just forget. I am human and I forget too.

I can't help but wonder if other players have backed off (from SC) for the same reason I have. (Not to mention work, family, other games/activities).

Sincerely,

Ken

I just stumbled across this thread that someone bumped to the top of the opponent finder forum. I post it here without the originators permission:

"I don't know if this is blasphemy, but I'm willing to play Ladder PBEM if someone else is. I pledge not to cheat/replay turns and trust the other player to do the same.

I thought TCP IP was faster, but its kind of lame sitting and waiting for your opponent. One good feature is that you can scroll around and think while the opponent moves. Ultimately I like TCP, but its hard to put together the 3 hours a nite to play when you have a family and other responsibilities.

PBEM has the disadvantage of "getting you out of the groove" when you play several different games at a time, or if turns are played too far apart. But for a player that sends back 4-5 turns a day, I find it just as good as TCP."

Speaking for myself:

There are many competent SC players west of my time zone (USA est or Forum time) but it's difficult for me to get many tcp/ip turns in with those players as this old man has to be in bed by 11:00pm. They are just coming online when I am thinking about shutting down for the evening.

Just another reason to consider pbem to keep things moving.

Sincerely,

Ken

Yes thats true...

I suggest that everybody playing the game should go to icq...

It's so more easy to find opponents because you see who is online and who is not...

And I think if finding opponents becomes easier, more and more player would make online games with SC.

Ranger you are right, same people, which I happen to like, but most people are timid and will not jump into the river, or they post once and no one will answer (us who have the grace to participate on the forum need to encourage the newbies). Also the TCP Game takes waaaaaaaaaaaay toooooooooo loooooooooong to play. We need some scenarios that are around 8 hours or so. I just can't find a two, or three, or four day period for a game! I have a life, I guess some in Europe(excluding france which I am banning, and will not play against on the network), America or Canada, have unlimited hours left over every day.

[ April 21, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: SeaWolf_48 ]

Or use AOL instant messenger. It would probably benefit to find out which one is used more.

If anyone wants to play PBEM I'm game. I'm studying for final exams so I can't gaurntee more than three turns a day but I won't send any less than two. I also just want to play for fun right now since its been a while since I've played against anything other than the AI.

You have to be a bit more obnoxious to get a game I noticed. Often people drop in for 2 or 3 seconds just to see SC as a header. I don't the moderators mind ;)

Also train your newbies, talk about a Learning curb!!! I have played several people like myself that took 5-15 games before we could truly beat any of you good players! I still can't beat you good players!!!