Disappearing units?

rleete

I had moved a Brit corps unit into southern France (off Gilbraltar, via transport), to try and stave off the German onslaught. Before it could move up to defend Paris, France fell. The unit was within what would become Vichy. When France surrendered, the unit disappeared.

Do all British units within France just vanish? Doesn't this automatically avoid saving some units a la Dunkirk? What about air fleets? Do they disappear as well? I have never seen that, as my air power is long gone by the time France conceeds.

It this related to the Italian unit disappearing in Africa if it has moved in to try and attack Algeria, when Vichy is conquered, and the gov't moves to Algeria?

Absolutely sure. After having the Italian unit invading Algeria disappear, I thought it was destroyed (hadn't paid attention during the AI turn). Then I saw the thread on it, and Hubert's reply. So, this time I looked. Not on Britain or Canada, and not back in Gibraltar. I suppose it could have been in the far east, but I'm pretty sure I checked there, as well.

It was very frustrating, as I had contemplated moving it to Algeria to help defend against the Italians, or disbanding it for the MPPs. At that stage of the game, 60 MPPs is a big loss.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Absolutely sure. After having the Italian unit invading Algeria disappear, I thought it was destroyed (hadn't paid attention during the AI turn). Then I saw the thread on it, and Hubert's reply. So, this time I looked. Not on Britain or Canada, and not back in Gibraltar. I suppose it could have been in the far east, but I'm pretty sure I checked there, as well.

It was very frustrating, as I had contemplated moving it to Algeria to help defend against the Italians, or disbanding it for the MPPs. At that stage of the game, 60 MPPs is a big loss.

RL,

That is indeed not supposed to happen. It may have been sent to Alexandria, but that seems a bit far.

Well, if you (or anybody else) can check this, I am sure Hubert will be able to track down the problem. It's simple to check: play the Allies and get all the French units out of the way to allow the Germans to take Paris easily. Be sure to get the Gibraltar garrison to Marseilles before France falls.

Thanks.

It wasn't in Marseilles, but north of it by 2 hexes (in between the mountains). Not sure if that would make any difference, but thought I'd clarify.

Also, one other point. If France falls, and all British units get sent back, shouldn't they have some sort of penalty? Sort of a "lost a lot of equipment at Dunkirk" type of thing. Either a hit to British MPPs (transport costs), or a random reduction in their strengths? I'm sure the Germans wouldn't just let them walk out, without trying to destroy them. It might add uncertainty to the decision to try and reinforce France, especially if they were on the verge of collapse.

Okay, I replayed the Allied side. Several times, with different unit placement. Happens every time. The unit (Gibraltar Corps) just disappears. Not on the board at all, I checked thoroughly. Unit MUST be within the borders of Vichy, otherwise it is still there, out of supply, unless they are on the remaining city.