Surrendering

Canuck_para

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Canuck_para:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Is it possible to force a country into one camp or another via political pressure?

Is this not based on how well the war is going?</font>

How about Spain, Vichy and Turkey? I recall COS had "political points" that you could spend on trying to sway neutral into your camp. I know old Adolph said something about rather having several teeth pulled than negotiating with Franco again, but it is an interesting what-if. Didn't Vichy almost go to war with England after the French fleet was attacked? A bigger allied effort in the Med might have brought Turkey in the war for the allies.

As originally posted by BloodyBucket:

How about Spain, Vichy and Turkey? I recall COS had "political points" that you could spend on trying to sway neutral into your camp.

I kind of liked that option -- where you could spend resource points to influence the potential alignment of minors.

However, until the United States is in the war, the Allies might not have enough MPPs to be very effective. The Axis could put on a diplomatic blitz and settle most everything before the Allies could round up the usual suspects?

I believe the way it works is that a potential ally can only lean one way. So, Italy, Finland, etc. will NOT be Allies at any point. The same goes for the USSR or US joining the Axis.

Minor correction here: Italy, USSR and the US are considered majors and will only join their historical respective alliances as Ted has stated. OTOH Countries like Finland, Yugoslavia etc are minors and can be declared war upon by any side, so in this case Finland could join the Allies if Germany declares war on them, or Yugoslavia could join the Axis if the Allies declared war on them. But if the 'Axis / Allied Minor Random' option is selected and these minor countries have not been declared war upon, or have not entered the war yet, then they will join their historical alliances if the right play conditions have been met and if they are left untouched by either side

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

How about Spain, Vichy and Turkey? I recall COS had "political points" that you could spend on trying to sway neutral into your camp. I know old Adolph said something about rather having several teeth pulled than negotiating with Franco again, but it is an interesting what-if. Didn't Vichy almost go to war with England after the French fleet was attacked? A bigger allied effort in the Med might have brought Turkey in the war for the allies.

This was something I thought about including as well, but decided against it and modelled it instead on game play. One of the main reasons for this was to avoid cheating, which I know was done in other games by saving and replaying turns, and at least this way it is still included but depends on how successful or unsuccessfully you conduct your campaigns. So countries like Spain and Turkey have also been included (as well as the regular ones) as hypotheticals to join the Axis under the right conditions.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

I believe the way it works is that a potential ally can only lean one way. So, Italy, Finland, etc. will NOT be Allies at any point. The same goes for the USSR or US joining the Axis.

Minor correction here: Italy, USSR and the US are considered majors and will only join their historical respective alliances as Ted has stated. OTOH Countries like Finland, Yugoslavia etc are minors and can be declared war upon by any side, so in this case Finland could join the Allies if Germany declares war on them, or Yugoslavia could join the Axis if the Allies declared war on them. But if the 'Axis / Allied Minor Random' option is selected and these minor countries have not been declared war upon, or have not entered the war yet, then they will join their historical alliances if the right play conditions have been met and if they are left untouched by either side</font>

• 8 months later...
Originally posted by Genghis:

How does Vichy France get conquered?

I took over marseilles and destroyed the Vichy fleet but no surrender yet.

do I have to physically conquer both Syria and Algeria as well?

If you take Marseilles the Vichy capital relocates to Algiers. Take Marseilles and Algiers and they should surrender.