Siberian transfer

Col. Kurtz

I have questions concerning the Siberian transfer. Specifically: 1) Is there any randomness built into the entry or is it a guaranteed event if certain parameters are met 2) Does the presence of Russian units in any other countries affect the transfer 3) Is there a floor on the number of Russian units that must be present to prevent the transfer or is it strictly based on the ratio of Russian to Axis units 4) If the transfer is based on the ratio of units, what is that ratio?

Originally posted by Col. Kurtz:

I have questions concerning the Siberian transfer. Specifically: 1) Is there any randomness built into the entry or is it a guaranteed event if certain parameters are met 2) Does the presence of Russian units in any other countries affect the transfer 3) Is there a floor on the number of Russian units that must be present to prevent the transfer or is it strictly based on the ratio of Russian to Axis units 4) If the transfer is based on the ratio of units, what is that ratio?

Not 100% sure about this, but anyway:

1) Its random to an extent, if Axis get within a certain distance of Moscow, it will trigger. The closer the Axis get, the better the chances of it triggering.

2) No.

3) Neither.

4) n/a.

For informations about the siberian transfer process read e.g.:

- Siberian Transfer help

- siberian army

To answer your questions in short:

1) there is no randomness, transfer is quaranteed if certain parameters are fullfiled

2) No

3) No

4) The ratio is based on strenght, unit type (e.g. tanks count more than corps etc.), supply and other factors - so you can´t calculate it on the battlefield. But as a rule of thumbs you can say if Axis is ~1.5 : 1 superior vs Russia in the report screen Siberians will most likely transfer.

Presence of axis units near: Moscow, Vologda, Stalingrad or Voronezh (if i recall correctly) - 'presence' means 3 hexes...or 4 ? Do a search on the forums, Terif explained this some time ago.

The transfer won't occur though, if russian army is still strong. I don't know exactly how this 'strength' is calculated.

Ref: russian pressence in other countries: i don't think it is a factor.

Ref: 'a floor of russian units' - this is the problem, I don't know exactly how the 'strength' of russian army is calculated: as no. of units or no. of units+their strength or as a sum of MPPs the respective units are valued at that certain point.

Anyway, the ideea is that the Axis commander will stay away from those cities until his army is ready for the final assault and its supply lines are good enough to support the thrust. Further advance in the east means axis face supply problems thus is a good ideea to let those cities behind, reach a strength of 5 and place the HQ properly on the map so as to be able to properly supply the front.

EDIT 1: LOL, it seems Terif posted in the same time as me smile.gif only it took me longer to write things down tongue.gif

[ March 22, 2005, 02:57 AM: Message edited by: hellraiser ]

IMHO this nice feature should be slightly improved in SC2. I would like an additonal automatic time trigger. I hate it when the Germans can take an eternity to do the final push to Moskow bombing everything into the ground with their lvl4 super AF with LR4-5 etc. I think a little bit more of a timepressure would make the game much more interessting.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO this nice feature should be slightly improved in SC2. I would like an additonal automatic time trigger...time pressure would make the game much more interesting.

Doesn't this time pressure come from the Allies invading France? One of the big items for the Axis is to knock off Russia before the Western Allies can invade--conversely the Western Allies HAVE to invade to keep Russia in the war.

Or am I missing some nuance of strategy in HvH games here? (This is an honest question, not a criticism)

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by santabear:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> IMHO this nice feature should be slightly improved in SC2. I would like an additonal automatic time trigger...time pressure would make the game much more interesting.

Doesn't this time pressure come from the Allies invading France? One of the big items for the Axis is to knock off Russia before the Western Allies can invade--conversely the Western Allies HAVE to invade to keep Russia in the war.

Or am I missing some nuance of strategy in HvH games here? (This is an honest question, not a criticism) </font>

SomeGerman pictured below executing the TCC strategy (Terif Cookie Cutter)

P02.jpg

The Germans

German soldiers fought to protect an emerging national identity. They believed the Nazi government had saved Germany from economic and political ruin caused by the treaty that ended World War I. The Nazis provided jobs, extended social benefits, and expanded educational programs for average Germans. Many Germans felt the Nazis created a more egalitarian society. Most accepted or overlooked their government's racist and anti-Semitic ideology.

Germans fought the British and Americans in Western Europe, Italy, and North Africa. They battled the Russians in Eastern Europe. German soldiers took advantage of a lack of Allied preparedness and occupied most of the continent by 1942. These men believed they possessed superior fighting ability and would easily beat Allied soldiers.

These men believed they possessed superior fighting ability and would easily beat Allied soldiers.
Well, believing - I mean REALLY believing

That you are "superior"

Is... half the battle, eh?

Nothing wrong with that - it's what separates

The Olympic Class athletes

From the weekend warriors, trotting

Round & round the neighborhood park.

Right after taking Sudetenland,

GErman "Volk" should have had a collective

Epiphany - another

"Night of the Long Knives,"

Only this time... each dagger stuck true

To the heart of each and every

Nazi leader - Hitler first, then Goering

And Himmler and Bormann and ALL the rest.

Then you'd have seen a strong and vital

Nation... exactly powerful enough

To be left alone to pursue peaceful economies.

Like that Olympic class runner,

Adopting a philosphy something like this:

Run hard,

Land easy,

Kick butt - just, if

You must.

And embrace a grace-full trick - save

The punishing kick - when you need

Leave... (mis)perceived enemy, or, the setting sun

In the dust.

You do have to fight for what's right; hard

Sometimes to know just what that is,

And, as now, as then, as ever, folks will differ

In their martial opinions.

Hemingway borrowed Gertrude Stein's passing remark

About the survivors of WW-1, and said:

"You are all a lost generation."

WW-2?

More like... "an annihilated generation."

Let's count the cost:

GErman soldiers killed - 2,000,000

GErman soldiers "missing" - 1.5 million

GErman civilians killed

In air attacks - 1,000,000

[... worth noting that this was the FIRST time

in history that mass-scaled attacks were

conducted on "innocent" civilians; well, since

the Genii was let out of the bottle, now

it is ACCEPTED oh, ho hum, as part of all out

warfare; VERY odd notion, contra-opposed by

EVERY single religious tradition]

United States,

Poland and Austria - 300,000 killed for each

Britain & France - 400,000 killed for each

Russia - 7.5 million soldiers killed

About 10 million civilians killed

Grand total?

~17 million soldiers killed

~18 million "civilians" killed

Yep, some somebody should have got out

Them pre-emptive "long knives"

Oh, 'round about summer of 1939.

A hard-learned lesson for now, and in future.

And,

So that I won't be accused of advocating

Violence, may God forbid, we might say

That "knives" come in many sorts and sizes,

As for instance - (almost) imaginary ones

Shaped like... the kind

That Archangel Michael carried around, and etc.

[ April 18, 2005, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

These men believed they possessed superior fighting ability and would easily beat Allied soldiers.
Well, they were 1/2 right. They did possess superior fighting ability--they were better trained and had a much better officer corps. Man-for-man they probably would have beaten Allied soldiers. Their biggest problem was they they were often man-on-five-or-ten-men.

And then there was the fact that everytime they moved (after Overlord) Allied air forces cut them to ribbons--so they couldn't maneuver.

And then there were Hitler's military mistakes. He had to work at it a bit, but he finally managed to ruin a truly great army.

I believe the United States made some very serious blunders during WW-2 too. Much as the movies & history books want to claim they were success, I believe D-Day & Iwo Jima were diasters. Lots of guys died that day, for what? You didn't see Eisenhower, Patton, or MacArthur storming those beaches.

Far as the average soldier & squad leaders, the Germans probably had an advantage in an even fight (all weapons aside & stuff). For one, they had more experience & organization for the most part. The American's strength was firepower & ability to rally troops the quickest. Fighting thousands of miles away on multiple fronts wasn't easy, we (USA) had some smart dudes organizing all the shipping & production stuff. The Russians had the numbers, weather, homefield advantage, & some real fanatics to their country.

-Legend