My New Mods (screenshots and links)

jmbunnelle

Hey everyone,

First off, I just finished version 1.2 of my Force-Specific Units mod, which features the Minor powers (see Polish forces in last screenshot) and smaller cruisers (people had trouble distinguishing between my battleships and cruisers). PLEASE NOTE: the Minor powers do not have all of the later tech levels done because they are never utilized by the game and are only included in the bitmap to keep things kosher with the code, according to Hubert (I'm paraphrasing :D ). Sorry, I haven't had time to finish the other requests, like darkening the tint of the German counters. That's next. Get the new version here: JBUNNELLE'S FORCE-SPECIFIC ICONS vers 1.2

Also, just finished revamping the cities, forests, mountains, fortifications, swamps, and oil resource icons. I left the mining and anchor icons alone, as I believe they are fine as is. I ditched the oil well altogether but placed a big puddle in front of the barrels in case you can't figure it out. smile.gif I didn't touch the underlying map at all because, well, I like it and think it's highly functional.

JBUNNELLE'S TERRAIN MOD

Here are some screenshots:

sc1b.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Jim

[ August 19, 2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: jmbunnelle ]

This is one great mod! :cool: One of the very vew things I would like to have different is this: in the original as well as in the mod, the city icons resemble much more a production plant than a city. I for one would prefer an icon which has a more city-like look to it.

Straha

Originally posted by Straha:

This is one great mod! :cool: One of the very vew things I would like to have different is this: in the original as well as in the mod, the city icons resemble much more a production plant than a city. I for one would prefer an icon which has a more city-like look to it.

Straha

Straha,

That's a very good idea, I'll give it a shot tonight. Squeezing a city into that hex is hard, I'm sure that's why Hubert opted for the factory instead.

Jim

JMB,

Excellent job, as per usual -- though I don't take these mods for granted -- you are taking considerable time & effort on this and it is very welcome. :cool:

The cities would be difficult to translate differently, given the amount of space provided, and I don't mind the factories all that much. Experiment with some alternatives and see if anything strikes your fancy, etc.

A few have suggested unique Capitals, such as Eiffel Tower for Paris, or Brandenburg Gates for Berlin, so maybe you can experiment with those as well? (... since I'm asking -- don't forget the Euro moon, might as well throw that out in the SC sky as well... ;) )

Tho, I don't really care for the marshes, they seem a little bland and watered down, so to speak. I would try some other interpretations on those, but, hey -- I do not mean to be hyper-critical, keep up the creative work! smile.gif

Originally posted by jmbunnelle:

Hey everyone,

First off, I just finished version 1.2 of my Force-Specific Units mod, which features the Minor powers (see Polish forces in last screenshot) and smaller cruisers (people had trouble distinguishing between my battleships and cruisers). PLEASE NOTE: the Minor powers do not have all of the later tech levels done because they are never utilized by the game and are only included in the bitmap to keep things kosher with the code, according to Hubert (I'm paraphrasing :D ). Sorry, I haven't had time to finish the other requests, like darkening the tint of the German counters. That's next. Get the new version here: JBUNNELLE'S FORCE-SPECIFIC ICONS vers 1.2

Also, just finished revamping the cities, forests, mountains, fortifications, swamps, and oil resource icons. I left the mining and anchor icons alone, as I believe they are fine as is. I ditched the oil well altogether but placed a big puddle in front of the barrels in case you can't figure it out. smile.gif I didn't touch the underlying map at all because, well, I like it and think it's highly functional.

JBUNNELLE'S TERRAIN MOD

Here are some screenshots:

sc1b.jpg

sc2.jpg

sc3.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Jim

Thx for your contribution!

Mods r d no1 thing that keeps a good game run for years.

/Eric

Immer,

The notion of including landmarks to represent capitals sounds great but it won't work, as all city hexes in the game access the same image on the bitmap, either standard or capital. Therefore, you'd have an Eiffel Tower in every capital city on the map.

I finished a test run last night on the city image instead of the factory. It looks mediocre. If you try to include more than a couple of buildings, it turns into a big mass. I'm still tinkering with it but I'll post a screenshot here later and you can tell me what you think.

I'll work on the marsh a little. Any suggestions? More brown perhaps?

Jim

Carl,

Well, the fortifications I modified from PG2, which someone previously modified from Talonsoft's WF or EF. The marsh image is borrowed from my own terrain mods for TOAW. And the factories I designed.

Jim

[ August 20, 2002, 11:57 AM: Message edited by: jmbunnelle ]

As originally posted by jmbunnelle:

I'll work on the marsh a little. Any suggestions? More brown perhaps?

Mine is obviously not the only opinion that matters, and others can chime in, but, I liked those little marsh-reeds or cat-tails or whatever they are, sticking out of the swampy area.

As for color, hmmmm, I would try something darker I guess -- you will have the color pallette in front of you and can play around with it until the marsh seems a little more pronounced and threatening maybe (... that is a hellacious area :eek: to pry those berserkers and partisans out of, yes?) -- perhaps someone with more knowledge of the Pripyet area could provide some input. smile.gif

Originally posted by Canuck_para:

I was looking at the old Panzer General cities and think they look pretty good. Could you use those for the cities in SC?

Yeah, I'd have to convert them from .SHP to .BMP but I think I still have the tools to do this on my computer. I actually cranked up a game of PG the other day and had a blast. Still works great in XP. That game injected new life into computer wargaming on a mass scale. I think Strat. Comm. is easily that good and has enormous potential. And it's easier to mod! :D