Hubert's Canadian Bias?

sogard

In a recent game, the "at start" forces for the Allies came up. I remarked to a friend that I found it interesting that the Brits started with a Corps in the United Kingdom; but, an Army and a Corps in Canada. Now, I know that the Canadian military involvement in the European theater eventually grew into a full Canadian Army in Europe; but, I do not recall that there were any substantial Canadian ground forces until 1941.

Is it possible that Hubert's Canadian bias is showing? smile.gif

On a serious note, I presume that the reason for the Canadian Army and Corps at start was for game balance and to probably represent British forces which went to Europe from elsewhere in the world; but, Hubert, the Indian Army entering the game from Canada? :confused:

Originally posted by sogard:

In a recent game, the "at start" forces for the Allies came up. I remarked to a friend that I found it interesting that the Brits started with a Corps in the United Kingdom; but, an Army and a Corps in Canada. Now, I know that the Canadian military involvement in the European theater eventually grew into a full Canadian Army in Europe; but, I do not recall that there were any substantial Canadian ground forces until 1941.

Is it possible that Hubert's Canadian bias is showing? smile.gif

Are you crazy Sogard? We won that mother and saved your yankie hides. ;)

regards,

Ray

I joke with my "canuk" friends from the Great White North that you can't trust a country that doesn't produce its own cars! (Although GM and Ford do have Canadian plants, that don't count). Heck, even French have the Citroen! :D

Back to SC....I am glad that the Canadians can now be supplied and reinforced fully when under the control of a British and/or American HQ. Before the patch, the Canadian army was a merely a distraction, something you transported somewhere to get destroyed. Now, with the patch in place, the SC Canadians now mirror the fine fighting forces that helped the Allies win the "big one". ;)

Originally posted by Doomsday1:

I joke with my "canuk" friends from the Great White North that you can't trust a country that doesn't produce its own cars! (Although GM and Ford do have Canadian plants, that don't count). Heck, even French have the Citroen! :D

Cars shmars, we make pretty darn good wargames! :D Well atleast Hubert does.

We also came up with penicillin and Really Good Beer. smile.gif

Just for the heck of it, I am going to give you one old veteran American's opinion of Canada in general. I have not traveled there (other than a brief excursion or two across the border in my VW traveling Van) much, and so this is based on non-specific perceptions...

Rugged.

Slow to be angered, but when they are -- you'd sure better be ready. :eek:

Makes too much of a very minor sport, hockey.

Fine and ferocious Navy.

Good at making irreverant jokes, and even better beer.

Understands (and plays) baseball as if it is of passing (... yawn) interest, and of little consequence (NOT! the genuine Myth & Magic that it truly is).

Somehow -- and this is strange to me -- produces more rock & roll singers and war-game makers and odd diplomats than the small population might allow.

Are learned and literate, but disinclined to boast or act didactic.

More protective of Environment than USA, which is much appreciated since there is not a lot of pristine wilderness left -- thank you!

And last but not least, Canadians seem to have a kind of... "worldly savoire faire" (... how they got this way is a marvelous mystery to me) which sometimes irritates Americans who -- due to feelings of insecurity I would guess, cannot accept "French" or even old Celtic culture. ;)

Originally posted by daystrom:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Doomsday1:

Cars shmars, we make pretty darn good wargames! :D Well atleast Hubert does.

We also came up with penicillin and Really Good Beer. smile.gif </font>