Rolling a 90 foot tracter over Rambo: And he just barely skated out of it.

BriantheWise

So this is how it went....

First game: Dutch Gambit. I, accidentally took Brussels with a french unit. My bad.

I bough a French HQ. usless. He jammed forward on the north, and since I had moved units and declared war on the little wooden shoe folks, readinness was bad.

Then something weird happened....He was so attacking on the north, I took the whole line of maginot men and attacked. His air, His HQ, took Frankfurt. It was a mess.

He took France in late June.

I felt benign. I had cost him all his ships most of his air, cut off and killed two panzers.

I was moving to Irag, I was winning. I was about to post that Rambo is not the winner of all.

When, suddenly, all this armies show up, mostly italians, on my England shores, and I am not at all prepared. I suck out my research, I buy what I can, I pound the units in transit, but mostly, I'm sitting down there. I was expecting to go for vichy, and then spain...

He took everything, and the sink and invaded England. Very daring. Major losses.

The game flipped. I conceded.

Brian --- Yes, SeaLion saved the day after a bitter fight in France. You were playing like it was the last game of your life. When I was getting slashed out of supply in France, watching my pieces get hammered, you got all happy. You were talking all that Smack during my turn, then taking 20 minutes for your turn.

But you saw what a Champion does when trouble comes, check the battlefield, make a decision, & close the deal. I thought is was funny when you were getting all warm & fuzzy. Don't let your feelings & emotions distract you from your goals. You were getting ready to post on the Forum about Rambo going down.

Should've, couldn've, would've...

Rambo

As Rambo correctly pointed out a while back on another post, all the chatter about Med strategies is deceptively distracting. Between the fall of France and Barbarossa, Germany and Italy are free to do anything. And it's easier for the Axis to shift resources around than for Britain to switch between homeland defense and adventures in the western Egyptian desert. That's the advantage of interior lines.

In the back of your mind as the Allied player, you must remember that you can afford to lose Egypt and still win the game. You can not win if you lose Britain - which includes Egypt, Malta and Gibralter all at the same time. Britain must use FOW to conceal its true dispositions until Germany tips its hand elsewhere - such as Sweden, Spain or Russia. By demonstrating Allied strength in the Med in the early game (or by lucky spotting of Allied movements), it implies weakness in Britain and invites Sealion. In an early PBEM game I did exactly this, had a successful Sealion, and ended the game in late 1940.

Britain must play smart. Use FOW like a shield. Use your Strategic Bomber(s), perhaps with a Long Range Aircraft tech advance, to keep an eye on German intentions and respond accordingly. Watch the reports to observe any increase in Axis naval activity indicating transports being launched. Bottom line - make Sealion as risky as possible for the Axis so that it doesn't happen. It's easy to be lulled into thinking that Sealion won't ever happen (like with the AI), that it's worth moving more resources to the Med, and that Britain can be a power-player in the early game - but that's a risky and sometimes fatal strategy against a human opponent.

You know Rambo....while there is something to be said for being confident and even "cocky", perhaps you might just tone it down a little.

To read your post , one gets the impression that you've got Guderian's brain , have been gifted with Patton's flair for the battlefield and inherited Zuikov's strategic genius

We never meet, we've never played against each other, hell until I started reading this forum I didnt even knew you existed and yet, I find myself wishing you'd loose !?!

How extraordinary is that !

I have not problem with being proud of your winnings and/or contributions to the game but the

way you constantly challenge people,and pose as the King of the Hill is surprisingly irritant, my sister the shrink would probably ascribe this to a latent Napoleon complex.

When you finally meet your better...and please dont be arrogant enough not to admit that it will happened at some point, it might be fun for you to have a few people be sympathetic instead of having just about the entire forum community Rise up in a huge cheer, celebrating the fall of Humpty Dumpty from the wall.

Arrogance usually lead to Stalingrad...some people just enjoy a longer route there.

I now close the hatch of my Char Lourd 1bis and prepare to ride out the heavy artillery barrage that is almost sure to start falling.

So the Italians operated to the Aquatiane and embarked out of sight of the English, correct? As one cannot penetrate the Strait without first reducing Gibraltar (And you can't reduce Gibraltar, easily, without conquering Spain).

Cute strategy. Where was the Royal Navy and the RAF during all of this?

BTW, in the novel "Rambo" , Rambo dies. Stallone's revisionism was the only thing keeping him alive.