Which Minors?

jmbunnelle

I'm going to start doing the art for the Minors tonight and I want to get everyone's input. Obviously, everyone can't be represented thoroughly. So far, I've done several Polish and Spanish aircraft (Bf109D and SM81) but still haven't decided on anything. I wanted to ask this now because the second I finish it, I will here cries of "Where are the Canadians?" and "Why the *%&*@! weren't the Finnish included?" ;)

So chime in now. Give me specific vehicles and aircraft if you know 'em.

Also, does anyone know why there are two seperate rows of Allied Minors on the bitmap? Is it simply because of the larger number of participants shown on the board at once?

[ August 13, 2002, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: jmbunnelle ]

Originally posted by jmbunnelle:

Also, does anyone know why there are two seperate rows of Allied Minors on the bitmap? Is it simply because of the larger number of participants shown on the board at once?

Hubert answered this question a couple threads down:

"The two lines of Allied minor are in place to take into account potential MOD work that would have the Allied minor unit icons face east or west. The first line is for unit icons to face east, and the second allied minor line is for unit icons to face west.

So for example the first line of Allied minor would include countries like Canada, Spain, Portugal if they joined the Allies, and the second line would inlcude Turkey, Persia etc. if they joined the Allies

Hubert"

smile.gif

Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

Hey! Where are the f&*%$#@! Finns!!!!

In Finland of course ya dork!! ;)

Sheesh - some people have no sense of geography!! lol

oh shut up and give me ur feedback on crocodile you hillbilly

btw, i finished 15th in the missouri state geography bee, the prelim to nationals in DC

For you Europeans, this means he can point out the state of Wisconsin in three tries.

oh shut up and give me ur feedback on crocodile you hillbilly

It makes good shoes.

btw, i finished 15th in the missouri state geography bee, the prelim to nationals in DC

who's the hillbilly??

No doubt this is an achievement where you come from.

But I doubt if the winner of the nationals could place the Atlantic Ocean to within a solar system of it's correct location, so you'll forgive me for being unimpressed. smile.gif

First of all I would like to thank you JMBUNNELLE for the excellent icons. Thanks for taking the time to share your icons with us. I would also like to give you my feedback on the infantry icons. If tanks and planes change, why don't the infantry change when they reach higher levels of research? So basically why not add some elite unit icons for the major powers. Finally, I would like to ask you about the first thread you posted on your new icons, they look a little different to the ones you recently released.

Whoa whoa whoa, first off, 'place wisconsin in three tries' u know better, more like naming the latitude and longitude that __________city is.

And to "this must be an acheivment where you come from" Ok ur foreign i know u dont fully understan what this is: but, if thats not then getting over 1000 on an SAT when ur 13 IS!

sry its late i had to vent, but nobody nobody accuses me of not knowing geography.

CVM

sry its late i had to vent, but nobody nobody accuses me of not knowing geography.

CVM

So how come you didn't know where the Finns are then??!!

Hmm????? ;)

glezmez,

Sorry, infantry can't change because they're only allotted two slots on the bitmap, one for corps and one for army. Green troops and elite, anti-tank troops have to share the same image. Perhaps Hubert can change this and expand the original bitmap but I have no idea how big of a pain in the ass that would be.

As for the images in my initial icons post, the only ones I changed were the infantry and the Bf109 Emil. I opted to work with uniforms that reflected each nationality as opposed to the generic, infantry-aiming image from before. It would basically have been the same for each force, just a color change. The end result felt too much like a boardgame, like the Axis & Allies infantry pieces; not that that's bad, it just wasn't what I wanted. So I thought, if I'm putting this much effort into doing each vehicle/plane, why have generic infantry?

As for the 109E, I may yet change it back to the initial version, as it had a more yellow nose and is probably easier for people to identify. Again, I did not play test this much beyond looking to see if the icon was clear and distinguishable. I'm just now finishing up my first game. I did notice some weird things, such as a jet sound accompanying the tech level 4 Mustangs. I can't really get around that, as I don't want any jet icons apart from the tech level 5 ones.

If more people request the old infantry, I will consider replacing them. This is a work in progress and will constantly be updated and modified. I really appreciate your input, keep it coming.

Jim

And to "this must be an acheivment where you come from" Ok ur foreign i know u dont fully understan what this is: but, if thats not then getting over 1000 on an SAT when ur 13 IS!

What? :eek: Someone translate to english, please! :rolleyes:

Hell, I beat that by 300 points stoned and hung over.

You do know that they have changed the scoring since I took it 20 years ago, don't you?

Well you asked for some Ideas on units so heres a couple. The PZL 11 was used by the poles and the upgun24 by a few other countries. For the axis you could have the Fait CR32 for spain or the Fokker DXXI in finnish markings mainly to keep CMV happy :D as for the other high end fighters I'd look to the Saabs for the allies.

I can't think of any tanks other then the 7TP? from the poles and a captured T26 for the finns.

I'm looking forward to your finished mod as I've been using it and adding national insignia for the different nations and force branches.

Happy Moding

;)

As originally posted by jmbunnelle:

This is a work in progress and will constantly be updated and modified. I really appreciate your input, keep it coming.

OK, I would like to see a little more differentiation between Cruisers and BBs... I may be the only one, but it is hard for me to tell them apart at a glance. Couple of times I have attacked the wrong ship with the wrong ship, etc. :eek:

Also, since these icons are so well done, is there any way to make them slightly larger, and the strength numbers a little smaller?

Minor quibble -- I don't care for the background color for the Italians -- given your desert motif, it cannot be too light, but how about a darker tan?

Though, I guess I can learn to use paintshop or whatever the appropriate tool might be, and try to "mod" for myself... smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. I was already going to differentiate between the cruisers and battleships on the next version, as I'm always making the same mistake!

Thanks. A Finnish Fokker it is. I'm almost finished with the Spanish CR32, Savoia Marchetti 81 and Bf-109D. I'll try to work on the Polish fighters tonight.

As far as using smaller numbers, I haven't experimented with this at all. I'll give it a go.

Jim

Immer,

It's not the number that's the problem but the dimensions of the square. I can make the number smaller but in order to expand things like aircraft, the square would have to be more of a rectangle. Smaller numbers would work for infantry and the more box-shaped tanks, but when you start getting into the huge 88mm cannons on the heavy tanks, you run into the same problem. Not wide enough.

Jim