tour cancelled

WIN --- Liam (5/21 Allies 235) R.A.I.

WIN --- Hellraiser (5/22 Allies 235) R.A.I.

IN PROGRESS --- Avatar *** (5/22 Allies 200)

WIN --- Zapp (5/22 Allies 200) R.A.I.

WIN --- Zapp (5/22 Allies 200) R.A.I.

WIN --- Zapp (5/22 Allies 185) R.A.I.

WIN --- Liam (5/23 Allies 225) R.A.I.

WIN --- Zapp (5/24 Axis 135) Quick French break

LOSS -- Zapp (5/27 Axis 150) lost to R.A.I.

LOSS -- Liam (5/29 Allies 200) S.Play no UK tech

LOSS -- Yoda (5/30 Allies 250) Italian readiness

LOSS -- Yoda (5/30 Axis 250) Canadian gambit

WIN --- Liam (5/31 Allies 250) R.A.I.

WIN --- Liam (6/01 Allies 255) LC-Gambit on #3

WIN --- Liam (6/02 Allies 255) Kamakize All-In

LOSS -- Zapp (6/02 Axis 165) Polish disconnect

LOSS -- Yoda (6/04 Axis 265) bogged down

LOSS -- Yoda (6/04 Allies 260) TCC crushed me

LOSS -- H.R. (6/04 Axis 225) LC failed on #2

[ June 04, 2005, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: jon_j_rambo ]

Out of my hot streak, only Liam got Paris. Zapp is the biggest joke out there! HaHaHaHaHaHa! His air strategy for Gerry, looked like the Hindenburg burning in New Jersey!

"Down goes Fraizer, down goes Frazier" --- Howard Cosell anouncing the knockout.

chill out bro smile.gif

quit trying to capitalize on 'five knuckles handshake' strategies like that you play now :D:D:D

I will be on line for you later (7-8h) ... now i am at the office :(

side note:

Seems a lot of players are developing (improving on) very aggro early allied strategies as of late - we know they are very rolls-dependant adn yes, they do have the potential of killing axis in france (axis need 2-3 poor combat results and things can go ugly). The problem is - if ppl fine tune the early aggro strategies and really squeeze out good results, will the bids go lower to keep the balance? Or the game is becoming more of an early shootout with the ideea of playing 10 games in 2 hours? smile.gif

2 things:

1. Axis, when handled by a good good player, is virtually unbeatable post-france.

2. Allies, when played by a good good player, can crush Axis in France, or at least heavily heavily delay them. Post-France is much harder.

= Allies should invest heavily in defending France. Any losses can/may/will be offset by Axis losses, and a much stronger USSR.

It maybe this way or not.

Delaying axis in France is such a good thing BUT if axis eventually get France (in a normal time frame) and if, in the process, UK lose too many assets, UK will be a joke later on and Axis will never worry about an early D-Day.

But indeed, with just a bit of luck - late poland and 1-2 bad rolls, allies can stop axis in France.

It is a matter of taste: some like short games and some longer ones - but if allied player is smart enough not to overuse air and make bad counters and he knows exactly when to keep the pressure high on Axis' mpps, France ain't no breeze anymore for Axis...

The ideea of 'stopping axis in france' applies also to situations where axis capture Paris but they lose 2-3 AFs and some heavy pieces - virtually the game is over, Axis would need a miracle to win at current bids the game plays today.

Originally posted by Avatar:

2 things:

1. Axis, when handled by a good good player, is virtually unbeatable post-france.

2. Allies, when played by a good good player, can crush Axis in France, or at least heavily heavily delay them. Post-France is much harder.

= Allies should invest heavily in defending France. Any losses can/may/will be offset by Axis losses, and a much stronger USSR.

In real WW2, they defended France heavily surely. Just because real WW2 was until 1945 does not mean we must play until 1945. I like these short games.

The point is, it is a good "pot odds" trying to "hit the flush" with Allies. If not being aggressive u let Axis off the hook and give advantage to Axis.

I bet Yoda went straight to his SC bunker, going through his library of Warbooks and military tactics to come up with a counter. He wont get sleep until he finds a new Axis move against this, believe it.

This is the first serious threat in ages against the TCC (Terif Cookier Cutter) game!

Rambo, u never stop surprising everyone around here. Just when u think the fish lies dead, it starts flounding again showing signs of life.

[ May 23, 2005, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

@Hellraiser:

Yep, it is a matter of taste if you prefer short or long games smile.gif .

No need to fear any aggressive/all-out France defence if Axis knows how to counter. And it is no real problem to counter them - no need to develope new counters cause they already exist and work since a long time - many players tried to kill me in France and never succeded, there´s nothing new with the current France strategy ;) .

BTW: only because loosing some time and/or heavy pieces in France doesn´t mean the game is lost - only if you surrender too early ;) .

Terif, I know u wanna calm down the SC childs that are now in total fear of these new breed slick sharks coming up with newer and sharper variations to kill the Axis early on.

However, I still think you are digged in, analyzing it, most surely u sense the danger too. Remember AA Bug that u dismissed as being just a minor thing? Turned out to be HUGE.

Warning, some stuff is hapening at this moment, more to come... :cool:

@Rambo:

Yep, when two players with the same attitude (i.e. who love the short games) meet in France, no doubt this strategy works 50/50 - the one with more luck wins ;) - but where is here the fun and what counts such a victory only by luck ? Simply throw a quarter 7 times in a row...will need less time and has the same result :D .

Also I am sure it is possible to kill many players with such a ´strategy´ pretty easily since there are only a few out there who really know how to counter such an aggressive defence AND have the will to be patient and reach Paris safely instead of going for the fast kill - which can easily backfire.

But if the axis player knows how to play his side against such a defence and plays for the long game, this defence ´strategy´ will usually not work.

Just try it in our next game, but I can already tell you it is no really different strategy, only one of the old ones in new clothes. The other guys who try to perfect the France defence already tried it very often hundreds of times in all variants to kill me in France - until now no chance to do that and I don´t think it will work in the future smile.gif .

Despite the new talk about improved Strategies, ZappBetting has the following odds (assuming 200 bid at 1:5:30)

Odds (Terif=Axis)

Axis To win: 1.05

Allies To Win: 20

Allies To Hold Paris until October 1940: 8

Game to progress until 1947: 20

Axis to Win in a PreBarbarossa Succesfull Sea-Lion: 15

Just saved a game vs zapp a few minutes ago...

He used some variant of aggro defence - ships sailed to denmark, RAF used from london.

Results so far: allies lost almost every ship (3 carriers and i think 1 other ship left), allies lost a lvl 1 jet :D

My Axis got France in march - june 41 (can't remember exactly), no loss of heavy pieces (only some corps), got enough time to complete all the minors and Dowed USSR with quite a sizeable army - 2 armies (odessa) survived, both tanks killed, 1 red AF hit.

Meanwhile allies landed in Brest smile.gif

Tech race: Germany lvl 2 jets, UK lvl 1 (dunno of the rest) - uk had lvl 1 since 1940 smile.gif

What Axis did this game: knowing that Zapp was going to use a modified version of the All-In , it focused on killing the navy and engaging the RAF later - after raping the allied ships near denmark, I went for norway/sweden to have cash to sustain losses for my AFs - 7 Axis AFs and 3 HQs + all heavy ground pieces then began rolling over France.

Going for ships is usually a bad ideea - means a later France but I did it on purpose just to see if it works this way.

It is a very interesting game, though Zapp considers that i already lost...I am not so sure but maybe he will manage to use the russians in a very effective way, who knows?

Definitely one of the most interesting games i've played lately.

[ May 23, 2005, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: hellraiser ]

Definitely a pest of a strategy ;)

It annoys those of us who enjoy the Axis but trust me, no strategies comes without flaws as reiterated by all the greats in here ;)

I will tell you this, just once did I not take Paris in any of my games with this new strategy, and in all these games but 1 or 2 I slow played as I'm rather slow at learning counters. Once I have them downpat however, this strategy will be a flaw and I will eat the Minors more hastily than before<like Bratwurts<sp?>

That will mean that the UK at best will be a pest, and then operate over before Barbarossa and shoot down the entire RAF or rape the home Island to death... Any Carriers, ships, units are going to be good experience for an Axis who can kill France in early June or better yet, May ;)

Point is this, Dice baby. 35% aprox to a Flush, it'll win a few times but in the end my Pocket Rockets will eat you alive! Or well, Terif's will

I wanna see Rambo VS Terif, with new strategy no preparation I say 20% to 80% chance...I favor Terif and his Austrian Alpine Calculations, but give the young American Hotshot a bold chance with good Rolls and outright aggression!

Rambo got Axis for 135 in our last game!!!

But, nevertheless, I was having some serious success in the early stages. I did a few moves that could be debated, could make even better moves after playing the RAI a few times.

YES, this one has a future. Unlike Rambo Rome Invasion, there is nothing gamey with it!

Also, important to note, I did not go totally All-In I tried to be more cautious. Next time I will probably "Play Ball" more.

[ May 24, 2005, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]