Puzzling research advances

Col. Kurtz

Well I don´t think limiting Nations will do the trick. For me Sc is about changing the history haveing the pieces setup of 1939 and deciding from therer on not to repeat the mistakes of the secound world war. Now we know the importance of planes, now we know that rockets woul not change the outcome of the war and now we know that Rusia will be hard to bring down and prepare more for the event.

My grip with the research system is: Money spend on research is never gone, sucess is always secured. Even if you make advances in a tech field it doesn´t mean in reality that suddenly all my planes fly faster or are better than before. At least my computer doesn´t not update constantly neither does it my car without a huge investment.

This is although why it is though attractive to do research in SC. It is to cost effective and to fast

There is one thing that was mentioned some time ago, that I belive will solve part of the research problem.

That would be that each time you achieve a tech advance, a research chit is consumed. So, if you have two (2) chits in Jets, as soon as you advance one tech level, you would now only have one (1) chit.

The other issue is having all units receive that tech upgrade immediatly. I think I understand why Mr H did it that way, so for the moment, I can live with it. But if we do get a system in place that allows us to upgrade a unit to the next tech level(s), make sure that we have to pay an upgrade for each unit, not just have it go to a city and receive the upgrade.

A quick addition Shaka. Do you suppose that maybe HC incorporated the cost of the refitting into the tech investment? Agreed it should be separate, more Tank Corps = more tanks needed = more MPPs. Should it require a city occupancy, or a hex next to a city, or a return to the country of origin. Seems like in WW2 new equipment was distributed directly to the battlefield in some cases. How about just a one turn inaction if supply >= 5 or maybe 8?

I would like to see research advances open up the option to purchase additional types of Units. Then players could have the choice to purchase an air fleet unit at Str 10 or one at Str 13.

I would also like to see synergistic effects of high levels of research in seldom reasearched tech areas: ie Subs Tech 3 And Improved Sonar gives a +1 NA (Naval Attack Bonus) to Subs OR Anti Air Level 3 and Radar Laying Guns gives a +1 Bonus to Air Defense.

[ April 07, 2004, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

SeaMonkey

I don't think Mr H built the cost of the upgrades into the research chit. Too many units (ie think in terms of Russia and a anti-tank tech increase).

As Skanvak pointed out, units could be refitted, as long as they were not in the front line. I like the idea of them being at supply level 8 and not next to an enemy unit.