Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Demo vs real game

cruzzer

Hello all, i am new to SC but am a long time player of Pg, Ag, 3R, Risk, etc etc tongue.gif . I have just downloaded the game yesterday, i think its really really good - a combination of 3r and Pg/Ag, something i had hoped would appear :D .

my question is whats the difference between the demo and real game? is the upgrade worth it? i dont mind paying the $25 as long as its worth it.

thanks

georgie

I am likely the most skeptic person on this forum (ask anyone they will say yes Les is the least likely to say anything nice).

The demo give you a good taste in my opinion. It doesn't play long, but it is not a stunted version,

The full version gives you more campaigns and more time (the whole war I guess), but the demo is not missing anything.

If you like the demo, then you like the game.

Not really sure cruzzer what you are looking for...the most important consideration is that the demo, gameplay wise, is basically the complete version, except of course for the time limit...there are no disabled enhancements or features, especially in solo play, that you are not privy to. The last patch does make the game play much better than the demo though, and that cannot be ignored. So, if you like the demo, you will enjoy the game that much more. If you are not impressed by it, then this game is not for you.

[ January 09, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: J P Wagner ]

As originally posted by cruzzer:

... im sure that when i can i will buy tyhe game, if only to support the programmers.

Not a bad idea.

This would provide even more encouragement for those who would take ill-advised risks (... most companies, and individuals, are very-very meek and un-Nietzsche-like... has to do with the death wish, I think... ) and seek to satisfy the esoteric but high-spirited! WW2 gaming market. smile.gif

A year ago at this time we had... nothing. Nada. Not even a little fallen-sparrow in hand.

Now we have a game that, trust me, is incredibly addictive, no matter any percieved or apparent flaws. For one anecdotal example, a well-meaning relative gave me Hearts of Iron for Christmas, but, you know what?

I played it twice and put it away. It sits brooding like some plastic malcontent on my game-shelf. SC? I play a complete game a couple times a week, at least.

Seriously, this is no small victory. For years & years many of us had hoped and prayed that SOMEONE would arrive out of the wild blue yonder and provide a WW2 Grand Strategy Game.

Lo and behold, here we actually have it, thanks to Hubert Cater and Battlefront, and better yet, SC2 is more than merely a rumor.

It's a great day to be alive and kicking spryly, yes? :cool:

Hmmm was not aware the demo was full function internet and all that, not that it matters now for me I guess.

Hmm in favour of buying the game, one comment I can make, that might sound odd coming from me, but oh well I can live with it, the price is 25 bucks eh.

Now compare that 25 dollar price with eeeeeeeeevery other game on the shelf out there (no not includng the junk in the bargain bin of course).

I have seen games that can be slagged 7 ways to sunday, and they cost 3 times the price in some cases too.

Perhaps the most significant thing Battlefront has done, with SC, is show that a game can actually be made without the usual price tag.

Not sure if the price has anything to do with SC not possessing a lot of the usual flash, but hey, if it is cheaper due to a lack of a lot of the usual flash, then I say that sure does a lot to support my well known condemnation of the usual flash now doesn't it.

[ January 09, 2003, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1b ]

The beauty of SC is that there is a lot going on under the hood -- the staid (but functional) interface is attached to an intelligent and highly replayable game of real substance.

I bought the game when it first came out, so haven't dealt with the demo since. But I would add that the full game (unlike the demo) allows you to watch the tech advances unfold in all of their glory, which adds additional elements of randomness and replayability.

Buy it, Buy it, Buy it!!!

I downloaded the demo and bought it the next day. It's the best game to come out in a long time. As a bonus you support Hubert and his team as they develop SC2 and who knows what other great games they may make in the future.

The biggest advantage over the demo is being able to fully drive the German war machine through the Russian plains!!! Or being able to mass inpenetrable defences to block the road to Moscow.

I think the demo that Fury software has provided is excellent and really lets you know how the game plays. The full version just makes it all complete. Plus you can only do PBEM and the campaign editor with the full version as well.

Don't bother with Hearts of Iron. It sucks! Unless of course you like the idea of micro-management hell!

If you want a great WWII RTS game check out Sudden Strike 2.

Strategic Command rating - 11 out of 10!!!!!

Originally posted by cruzzer:

the demo is upgradeable to tcp/ip play. my point about buying the game was what do you get for your $25?

You get the Knowledge that you are helping support a worthy endevour that is not ruled by Corporate greed and caters to the Player community. That is why i purchased my version even though I had a full blown copy anyway. (No i'm not a pirate i just like to preview before i throw my money away on a game that stores will not let me return).

:cool:

Originally posted by Hueristic:

That is why i purchased my version even though I had a full blown copy anyway. (No i'm not a pirate i just like to preview before i throw my money away on a game that stores will not let me return).

Obviously I am not about to condone this and think it unfortunate since I believe this is the point with Battlefront providing demos for all games, and if I may point out it is something that not all publishers do for their game community smile.gif

Anyways, glad to hear from everyone who has bought and enjoyed the game, and as I believe Cruzzer's initial question has been answered I am going to lock this one up.

Hubert