The Italian Ambush Ploy

Friendly Fire

Saw a new one today, surprised it is not more common. Allied player parked the entire French Navy + much of the UK med fleet off south Italy. When Italy enters the fleet is trapped (can't move!) and forced to fight the (about to surrender) French navy!

Perhaps I haven't seen it before because many players disband the French navy to fund the defense of France.

It seems pretty gamey to me, not much different that an amphib invasion on the first turn a major enters...

Has anyone else seen this? Do some of you have a house rule against this?

(I have a screen shot but I can't seem to add it to the post, any hints?)

[ December 23, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Friendly Fire ]

It really makes sense and it was commonly used when it was permited to make anphibious invasions in the same turn u declare war. So u declare war on Italy and land troops in venecia and taranto ports and attack with all the navy. If italy holds all the ports the attack wont be very effective.

And yes, disbanding french ships in the first turn can make a difference in the france defense.

Unique and effective HR commonly used:

House Rule: No landings invasions on any major country the first turn it enters the war.

No more HR needed, attacking with the frech ships is another strategy, not a winner, not better than others.

In the old days the MED option was the star, everybody kept trying new things to get Iraq/keep egypt allied. Nowadays the MED option is considered to be a LOSER, no matter how hard u try, axis seems to prevail. But, everybody sometimes give it a shot, as Iraq is key to defeat axis.

[ December 23, 2003, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Codename Condor ]

About 6 months ago that was a big thing, I haven't really seen it happen in the past few months, not really anything new. There are other variations to that tactic that include landing corps into unoccupied Italian cities upon declaring war on Italy.

Do a search, I know there were quite a few discussions about this gambit in that past.

Comrade Trapp

ANYTHING done with the French seems gamey smile.gif

Ok hands up, does any veteran player even expect to see France in the game past mid 1940?

I have seen it all guys. Even the AI does it.

French Air says screw it I am going to Britain, or a player dumps it on Malta.

Gamey!

I sell the fleet to buy anything at all.

Gamey!

I attack LC with French

Gamey!

So why would it be considered a foul to suicide them on the Italian fleet and beat up those pesky aggressive Italians as a favour to the British?

So what if the French fleet ended up hating the British.

Personally, my biggest beef with SC is with design glitches that can't be overcome. I hate not being able to get my unit back OFF Ireland. I hate that those subs are next to worthless. Always makes me laugh when they are represented in any scenario that starts post 39.

I once fought the game as allies and did what they did in real life. What a shambles. I sent troops to aid France, and I sent my air and bomber as well.

The whole shebang rolled over and died. Worst fricking game I have ever played, and I was mimicing history.

I have since decided that when I play, I use any notion I can think up at all.

I like the surprise stomp the Italians notion. I am planning on trying it now actually. I hate their fleet (the Italians). In real life the fleet was to chicken to fight. I hate that they never give me an inch to spare in the game.

hate not being able to get my unit back OFF Ireland
Disband it once the captial has reached str 8. Or use a very damaged unit from the battles in France.

. I hate that those subs are next to worthless.
I've won several games with subs as my primary axis force. The key is surprise, in the first battle you need to suck in as many of those irrplaceable ships and sink the SOBs. Once you cut heavily into his fleet you can control the sea and sink his MMPs till the cows come home.

I once fought the game as allies and did what they did in real life. What a shambles
Yea, following history is a joke with this game. Russia lets Germany take over all of Eroupe and doesn't give a shat. USA enters early but produces less then Italy by the summer of 1942. Fighers can fly 400 miles, conduct combat operations, and fly home another 400 miles. Hitler desides when Russia should send there Siberian Troops west to help in the defense of Moscow (I guess he had a 'hot' line all the way to the Pacific and could ring them every day to check on the train schedules). The axis can conduct seaborn operations better then the US or UK. Any defence of Egypt is sicking. Troops that sit in combat loaded transports for MONTHS disinbark with 100% readiness. Fighters will rise up and conduct Defensive interceptions even when they are unsupplyed and under 50% strenght. Winter combat is just as effective as summer. the finish troops should start with 3 bars of exp!

I dont think its gamey at all, u have certain resources and u use em the best way to help in yout strategy. U r gonna make a Norway gambit u can use the french fleet to attack the kriegsmarine, u r gonna defend egypt u attack the italian navy, u r gonna defend france u disband fleet and buy HQ, u can even do nothing at all and hope with luck u can get some free ships, are they gamey? nope just posibilities.

The reason I think it is gamey is that it is silly to think the Axis would sit idly by while the whole French Navy has set up such a blockade.

To reflect this properly in the game, Italian war readness should increase when a big fleet moves near the as yet inactivated Italian Navy. But what the hell, the standard scenario is unbalanced towards Axis, so I can live with this one. I don't see that it will turn the tide in the med or anything.

Iron, I get your point, and agree. All your comments are valid, I've just learned to accept those problems - this one caught me by surprise. No sweat, I'll put it in the bag of tricks, maybe do it myself sometime...

thanks for the posts guys, & have a great Christmas.

[ December 24, 2003, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: Friendly Fire ]

Yea, following history is a joke with this game. Russia lets Germany take over all of Eroupe and doesn't give a shat. USA enters early but produces less then Italy by the summer of 1942. Fighers can fly 400 miles, conduct combat operations, and fly home another 400 miles. Hitler desides when Russia should send there Siberian Troops west to help in the defense of Moscow (I guess he had a 'hot' line all the way to the Pacific and could ring them every day to check on the train schedules). The axis can conduct seaborn operations better then the US or UK. Any defence of Egypt is sicking. Troops that sit in combat loaded transports for MONTHS disinbark with 100% readiness. Fighters will rise up and conduct Defensive interceptions even when they are unsupplyed and under 50% strenght. Winter combat is just as effective as summer. the finish troops should start with 3 bars of exp!

Much of what you say here can be fixed with the editor, even though it is a very light editor.

1- Give USA 2000 MPP to start.

2- Don't allow jet ro long range tech, it also keeps the game from being a race for those techs and then a I have the best air = game over.

3- Give Egypt 2 Armies & 2 Corps with a General.

4- Add 2 German corps in Finland with 2 bars of experience.

Having beeb the person who just used the Italian ambush against Friendly Fire, I am surprised that I am the only person that agrees with him. It shouldnt be possible for 4 French Fleets along with most of the British navy to sit outside Italy waiting for it to declare war. There are , as a number of others have written too many events that dont make sense in this game and hopefully there will be a SC2 that can correct them. I also wonder about lining up the British AC's outside Ireland and pounding the infantry there until all the carriers have 4 bars - great ploy, but not realistic