Invading Turkey

Amy Aemilius

Originally posted by Amy Aemilius:

Has anyone invaded Turkey as the Axis or the Allies? What are the benefits of such a strategy for either sides?

I have invaded as both the axis and the allies, usually the axis. It takes time, as the terrain severly limits you. It usually requires a number of air fleeets, corps, and tanks. But you do get access to the black sea, and you are poised to land units or drive across the mountains and hit russia from the south. And even if you dont make a sustained push and open a huge front there, the mpps you get from all of that oil and industry make it a very worthwhile gamble.

Never tried it as the Allies, but I have to agree that it is the just about the best use I've ever found for the Italians. The Turkish plunder and Russian resource MPPs are worth the time and effort. Plus, it plays pure hell with the defense of the Worker's Paradise.

It really thins out that front line in front of the Germans, if you can pull it off.

I invaded it a few times...one time (in a current game with PO) I invaded just the hexes that prevented the Axis from entering the Black Sea..then I didn't have to slog through the mountains and send a bunch of airfleets down there. I got everything I wanted (the ability to invade the oil fields by sea) without the hassle. The only thing I missed was the plunder. The PO apparently sent elements of the Turkish army to the main conflict in Russia...where they were easily terminated without having to deal with the entrenchment. This may make conquering Turkey pretty easy.

I invaded with Italy once after taking Iraq in order to open up another front against the Russians since the German offensive was bogging down. Sadly the turn after I invaded the USSR flooded turkey with troops (Operated them around the cities) and put me on the defensive to keep them out of the Balkins and Iraq

Playing the Allied side, my consideration for invading Turkey is to open a third front and to relieve pressure on the Soviets. I am bogged down in Italy and my other options are to declare war against Greece or Spain.

By the way, the Axis AI allowed the Italians to capture Paris and earned about 900 mpps. I would guess this Axis strategy was due to my capture of Palermo and Bari right after Italy declared war. I eventually withdrew from Taranto after taking horrendous losses but Palermo held out only because the Soviets declared war. Oh well.

Originally posted by Amy Aemilius:

Playing the Allied side, my consideration for invading Turkey is to open a third front and to relieve pressure on the Soviets. I am bogged down in Italy and my other options are to declare war against Greece or Spain.

I think that the Turkish terrain will cause problems for an effective third front. In addition to this, the DOW on Turkey may have an undesirable side effect, namely that the German forces will be able to strategically redeploy forces into eastern Turkey to directly threaten the Caucasus region possibly causing the Soviets more problems than they initially had. Spain (after Portugal) may make a better choice for a DOW, but what about France?

Originally posted by daystrom:

Has anyone tried invading Turkey as the Axis pre-USSR extry? Is Russian entry greatly accelerated? Has anyone had any luck with this strategy?

regards,

Ray

I've been experimenting with this to no avail. My objective would be to launch a sea-based invasion of the Russian oilfields. Unfortunately every time I invade Turkey I get the "USSR Prepares for War" warning in early 1941...before I am prepared to wage the eastern war on two different fronts. Part of the problem is that I have invaded Yugoslavia and Greece to get to Turkey (I can never get all of the Axis minors to join in time)...therefore, by that time the Russians are in a tizzy.