SC-2 marketing, raise your price & make some jack

jon_j_rambo

Another thing about pricing. I had a friend who owned an old fashion barbershop. He cut hair for $4, & it was a quality haircut. His shop was busy constantly, had 4 people cutting, many waiting, etc. They worked their ass off.

I told him he was insane. The shop is packed & you never get a break. I told him to charge $8. He told me he'd lose all kinds of business. The closest competition was charging $6 - $8 on average, Supercuts & other retailers charge $10-$12. I just didn't understand. My barber friend said he'd lose all the "parents bringing little kid business, this person, that person, etc...it would be half his business.

Simple answer, yes, he'd lose half his business, but make the same amount of money & work half as much.

I know reproducing a computer cd-game has nothign to do with labor, but I wouldn't give my game away for $25. I'd sell it for at least $39.95. And if you weren't willing to pay $39.95 for my game, then you don't get my game.

Customers being right is overrated,

Rambo

Member #4691

I've never played CM, so I can't discuss that comparison.

But to me, SC isn't really simple, as much as its easy to play. Below that ease of play is alot of complexity that you don't appreciate unless you play it over and over. And even though you can just about guess where people are investing in tech, the randomness of the tech increases adds to the replayability.

So in my case, I believe its well worth $45, since I've paid more than that for other strategy type games that have alot more eye candy than SC, but don't require any grey matter.

rambo,

That is an apt and appropriate story, well told... you should be a... traveling raconteur and you would...

Was going to say: "make a good living at it"... but, it would be hard to set a price-schedule for that, since it would be difficult to guage the market and the competition, and everthing would depend, like that little red wheelbarrow in the rain... on the day and age.

Well, and now, the haircut-business fell on hard times in the 60s... all manner of folks were just... letting their hair grow, long and lush! :cool:

Truckers, Hell's Angel's, Rodeo riders, Yippies & Hippies, and garage mechanics and stock-car racers and many more!

And so, the barbers of the Western World had a genuine dilemna... do I LOWER my costs, thereby TRYING to induce these degenerates (... well, an old hanger-on at that Barber Shoppe reminded him that Jesus Christ and the disciples had long hair too!... were they degenerates?) to come in and get a haircut?

One barber said, t' hell with that! I am very good at what I do, and I would rather work LESS anyway, so I keep my prices exactly the same! tongue.gif

Well, soon enough he was working as a... roadie for a rock & roll band, and only cut hair on the side, which, given the wild & crazy guys he was associated with, only happened, oh, about once every 2 years. ;)

Strangely, he let his hair grow out too - and massively so! And ended up married to a feminist RCA Record Exec, and from then on, lived the life of Hollywood Riley, even to the extent of writing a little screenplay... all about this barber who...

One odd note: in his later years he would get the old dulling scissors out of the attic trunk, and FORCE!! his only child to sit on a little kitchen high-chair (... even when he got to be 16, 17 years old!) and took incredible time and care over the kid's haircut. ;)

The kid grew up, a bit misfit, and he does have the one ear that is... a smidgeon smaller than the other, but! is now a successful business-person, who speculates on high-flying ventures here and there, and is SO well-to-do, that he can afford ANY computer game that comes out, no matter what the price!

What a... LUCKY guy! smile.gif

I still say, let's not actively campaign for higher prices... on anything! ;)

SC2 will likely be a little more expensive, fine, it will be worth every penny.

The thing is, you want a LOT of folks to buy it, and not stand in the shiny Tech Store of their Mulling Mind, and say... hmmm, $60 bucks!... and forthwith, set it casually aside.

SC the Original was priced... just right. ;)

[ October 27, 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]

SC proves you do NOT need fancy graphics to make people like a game. The game itself merely has to be well made.

Now frankly, this was Hubert's first game.

I wish half of my wood working prototype projects came out looking so good hehe.

To say it is undeserving of a decent price based solely on it not being knee deep in expensive graphics is perhaps a weird argument.

I counter that those games out there with fancy graphics are not half the game SC is, and they cost twice as much.

So what do you get with fancy graphics games half the time, twice the expense and only half the worth.

SC is a great game, because it is a great game. It has zero to do with its graphics, which would not improve the game at all, just make it more expensive to produce.

Maybe more games out there should concentrate on being good before attempting to fool us with pretty graphics first.

[ October 27, 2003, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Les the Sarge 9-1 ]

If the SC2 is as good as the first part I would certainly spend 15$ extra.

Better yet it would be that the game designer /publisher commits himself from the beginning to lets say a year of improvement of the game due to players feedback, for this kind of commitment I would gladly pay extra.

I am little bit sad that in SC1 some issues regarding game balance are and probaly will not be adressed simply because the programmer has to move on to earn his living. A certain ammount of money allocated from the beginnig for the explcit purpose of improving the product may help to establish a long term fan base.