Rockets, what are they good for?

Tellu

I just tested on hotseat mode effects of tech. I researched diffrent fields with diffrent countries. With Germans I maxed rockets and subs. So finally I got rocket tech 4 and had five(5!) rockets stationed in Netherlands to used agains Britain. Firing commenced.

Units

1 strenght 12, 2 strenght 13 and 2 strenght 14

Target

Londons harbour

Results

One(1) point of damage!! :eek:

So this is not what they are good for... But is there something that they are good in?

I fired on two earlier turns with 1 and 3 rockets. Both times I managed to do no damage to that harbour.

And Britain had Radar tech at starting level(1).

Well, I found that they were good at drawing the British air attacks away from more valuable (in strategic terms) units. They kept hitting the rockets, rather than transports full of German soldiers heading for Kent.

I also played the same, (Although Italy conquered France for some reason) I got level-3 rockets positioned around malta, and lo and behold, the island capitulated after one or two turns of rocket barrages. smile.gif

Rockets only have a range of 2 or 3. They have to be right on the coast, or one hex back to be able to fire.

That also draws every British air fleet to attack them. They are magnets for Brit air power.

Originally posted by Rediroc:

Thanks for the info. I did notice they attract a lot of air power.

And we have a winner for the "understatement of the year" award!

Even with fighters at +1 defending, I took damage to the fighters and the rockets. Much more effective than if he bombed my port. The AI is such a gamey bastich.