DEY-No Goulash For Ivan-V3

I posted an update of this 1942 Hungarian versus Russia battle at the proving grounds, it's been upgraded to a large battle now.

I would be interested in knowing how this version plays out either against the AI or in a two player contest.

This is what the map looks like now.

deynogoul0fq.th.jpg

*********SPOILERS********************'

Ok, I'm on tun 15, I have a stern grip on the 2 large objectives but I have come to notice that hungarian tanks are crap. Even in keyholed positions and 1 on 1 I losse even if I get multiple penetration hits. They just suck. On the upside is my little mistress Nimrod who are spanking a russian squad really badly in the field behind the factory with the small objective. Nasty situation for them. Have put the 37 mm at gun in command of the center road through the village, seems to work great.

Ok a plane showed up and dropped hundreds of exploding muffins over the russian tanks. Took out a tankette. Now the problem is that the russians seem to have som great german equipement which the german allies lack. PZ IV that is. very bad the are using them to blow the houses up. I'm loosing men here. On the upside is a bitching nimrod that are harrasing russian squads at the factories, did I mention this before?

Very exiting tun now. Toldi shot a bt-5 to pieces. Lost some french crap due to a weak penetration, seems like thay only has those and no armor, got a PZ IV (supposedly) in the sigts of a bitchin nimrod on a field behind a factory and in the sights of the 37 mm at guns holding the main road. Stay tuned.

My tank hunters are throwing bottles with gasoline not grenades. Very annoing. The nimrod got multiple pens on the PZ IV but its not dead it just retreated. Bastards... Anyway, the Nimrod got a new target andso does the 37 mm. Haven't lost a tank in ages now, they are all dead except a nimrod behind the factory at that field.

Some russian plane shot at my nimrod. Didn't hit. Got the PZ IV with the 37 mm and also a bt 5. Got probs now. They are to many.

Ok more tanks coming in. Several tankettes also. Got a stuart burning, must have those modded. Another PZ IV showed up. Damn. Got som reinf also. Driving them to the left most objective which is under heavy attack.

My Nimrod from hell drove up behind the advancing russians. Is now entangled in a head on fight with a Stuart! Damn AI. So confused that it faces all directions at once.

The flanking with the Nimrod worked so well that I'll try it with the reinf of 38's I just got. The russians are making progress now, dunno if I can halt them.

Oh no! He got the Nimrod. My heroin....

Ok, chaos now.

It reminds me of odd tanks parade.

Oh come on..

Stall the axis... Yeah right :)

Ok ruskies are finished...

Ok, finished. Major vic., no enemy AFVS alive left.

You know what made this a great scenario in my op? It was very dependent on your initial approach and decisions. And in every new sitiution you could adapt. lots of options is the way to go for a great game. Would be more fair in a HTH game though.

I played the earlier versian as the Hungarians. What a bloody mess that was but I managed a minor victory out of it. Sure was a lot of destroyed tin-can tanks (I love battles featuring crappy tanks)! Was a real nail biter. Maybe I'll try the updated one as the Soviets.

Hi Vixen, this scenario isn't suitable for a human allied playing a computer controlled axis.

There still are guns coming on map as reinforcements for the Hungarians in this version and they are still a very important asset for the axis side, and being that the AI doesn't seem to be able to use them properly in this context, I must again point out that this battle is only playable as a human controlled axis versus a computer controlled allied or two humans trying to destroy each either. tongue.gif

I'd be very interested in comments from someone who played the earlier version 2 then played this one, there is quite a few changes all the way around in OOB's, the map, an added third objective.

Played another of your scenarios:Hungary Pains. Another very intense scenario. I enojoyed it a lot. The lack of a comprehensive order of battle in the discription added to the tension. It looks near hopeless at first with those crappy Hotchkiss tanks.

Hi Vixen, I've actually updated that Hungary Pains battle but never got around to posting the newer version.

I had that scenario amongst others over to the proving grounds but there was next to no interest in them, so could get little to no playtesting done.

Thats one quandary I've had to deal with in regard to briefings, a lot of complaints that I don't state everything one and all in them.

Frankly I've got quite discouraged with this scenario making stuff.

I'm glad that older version was fun for ya.

Thanks for the playtest Larry, I'm going over to check out your comments now.

A possible improvement to you briefings would be to give a vague reference to reinforcements without being specific. Like saying "some light and medium tanks are on the way, though with the heavy air attacks in this sector they might be delayed or destroyed en-route"

Hi Vixen, ya I've tried a somewhat different method in that newer Goulash battle, I tried to picture myself playing this battle totally blind and what I could do too help with the players battle plan without giving to many specfics, though I think a lot more then I likely should have.

Maybe when you get a chance to look at the newer Goulash briefings sometime you could post some comments about them.

Originally posted by DEY:

Hi Vixen, ya I've tried a somewhat different method in that newer Goulash battle, I tried to picture myself playing this battle totally blind and what I could do too help with the players battle plan without giving to many specfics, though I think a lot more then I likely should have.

Maybe when you get a chance to look at the newer Goulash briefings sometime you could post some comments about them.

I've downloaded it but not had a chance to play it yet. I'll give you some feedback when I get a chance to try it out.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to playing this. I liked it better than v2. I managed a tactical victory 67% to 33%. The increased map size really helped as I was able to get my guns forward without getting shot to pieces before getting there this time.

*** Spoiler***

The captured PzIV's were a nice touch. I thought they must have been misidentified T-34 for the longest time so played real gingerly around them. Without the airstrikes on target though I think I would have gotten massagred. Two of them went in just perfect and just when I needed them. Still, I would like a bit clearer of Order of battle. It's pretty slim and I think you should at least have an idea of what sort of equipment is in the area, if not the exact numbers you'll be receiving or when. All around I give it 4 out of 5. smile.gif