How popular are landing on Dow ?

Desaix

In my games it is perhaps 50/50.

Especially between veterans the no landing rule is frequently used since there a game has more competition aspects and therefore most players here prefer limited options so there are not so many surprises and they can prepare for a standard game.

As long as Allies are not allowed to attack Italy amphibiously (and the Axis player knows how to play), they have no real chance to hold the Med or to do - successfully - major attacks in this area. To have more fun and variety I can only recomand to play without a landing rule for Italy smile.gif .

In my eyes only the no landing rule for Russia is a really good rule, since this opens more options for Russia. Without landings they are able to hold the Riga-Minsk line for some time and so have the necessary breather to prepare their own offensives (e.g. Finland, Skandinavia (both impossible/unlikely without Riga) and Turkey + middle east - or a defense of the motherland...etc).

To battle for the Med can be very interesting smile.gif . Allies can destroy the italian fleet by a preemptive strike and can buy some turns until Axis has reconquered the italian mainland cities. So Allies are able to launch a war for the Med (conquering Tobruk/Tripoli, Iraq, eventually Greece) where both sides have the chance to win it. Nevertheless Allies have to be cautious not to commit too many troops in the Med or England will be open to Sealion. So usually by the start of Barbarossa they usually are only able to keep Egypt+Iraq.

In case of an italian gambit, as Germany it is essential not to follow the temptation to go directly to Italy - except there is a good opportunity to trap some carriers in the eastern Med... ;) . First Axis have to finish off France, the most important target. Then they can reconquer Italy while not neglecting Skandinavia. Skandinavia should have a higher priority than Italy to conquer the necessary income base for Axis. Then Axis can start to battle for the Med and since with Skandinavia they have enough mpps, they are much likely to beat Allies back to Egypt/Iraq.

In the end:

An italian gambit changes the game totally which results usually in much more fun and a very interesting game.

It is a risk for Allies and has its advantages and disadvantages (read e.g.: http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=003800)

, but it doesn´t really change the chances to win, only the necessary way to go and the strategies both sides have to use - which is a good thing in my eyes smile.gif .

Imho Italian Gambit is not necessarily a game breaker. Riga first turn landing is by far more close to being a 'game breaker'.

Although a bit unrealistic, Italian Gambit adds a bit of challenge, as Terif pointed out, and if ppl are bored to death of playing the same 'standard' games, it can be used as a 'fun factor' ;)