THE SC WORLD CHAMPION LADDER : APRIL 2003

zappsweden

Codename Condor (Axis) beats Zappsweden (Allies). The bid was 250. The game was good (in my opinion) and I was doing great with allies and Russia until he got L2-L3 long-range. When my first Russian HQ was destroyed by 6-7 Axis air fleet from far distance i knew it was all over. I resigned in 1942.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zappsweden retires from ladder. I have grown tired of becoming frustrated by certain tactics that make the game inbalanced. Especially, I do not like that some things can be easily countered (tanks with anti-tank, bombing with anti-aircraft) meanwhile some other things are almost impossible to defend (long-range air attacks on HQ's).

If someone wants to take over the ladder, let me know. In recent weeks i spent less than 1 hour per week on the ladder so it is no big commitment.

I had thoughts about changing the handicap system to give Russia more MPP relative to UK and USA. 1:1:10 could be used i.e bid 100 means 100 MPP for UK, 100 MPP for USA and 1000 MPP for Russia. You can also make house rules to balance the game. I thought of it but now I just think it is too much effort into it. I do not want to be involved with a game too much, instead I want to play it. I was hoping that 1.07 would have brought some new balancing to the game and I just do not want bother balancing it myself.

[ April 23, 2003, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Zapp;

I don't remember if I ever got to play you, and I never participated in the ladder, but I would like to thank you for your time and committment to the game. I'm sure others on the board are just as appreciative.

As to your 1:1:10 proposal (100, England; 100 US; =s 1000 for Russia). I'm actually doing something similar with other players, and having fun with it! Actually, most of the games I'm playing now are mods. Doing so really spices up the games.

I see the standard 1939 scenario as the basic floor model. Functional in of itself, it will get you most places you want to go. But the beauty of SC is it can be modified, you can add your own fancy accessories, and make the ride more fun along the way.

I'm a year into SC, and still enjoying it, I think in large part because I have some regular opponents who also like to mix things up a bit.

See ya around, maybe for SC 2. Your a very astute player of this game, and I'm sure some of your input is going to find its way into the sequel.

Bob

Originally posted by zappsweden:

zappsweden retires from ladder. I have grown tired of becoming frustrated by certain tactics that make the game inbalanced. Especially, I do not like that some things can be easily countered (tanks with anti-tank, bombing with anti-aircraft) meanwhile some other things are almost impossible to defend (long-range air attacks on HQ's).

If someone wants to take over the ladder, let me know. In recent weeks i spent less than 1 hour per week on the ladder so it is no big commitment.

I had thoughts about changing the handicap system to give Russia more MPP relative to UK and USA. 1:1:10 could be used i.e bid 100 means 100 MPP for UK, 100 MPP for USA and 1000 MPP for Russia. You can also make house rules to balance the game. I thought of it but now I just think it is too much effort into it. I do not want to be involved with a game too much, instead I want to play it. I was hoping that 1.07 would have brought some new balancing to the game and I just do not want bother balancing it myself.

Im sry to here about that, i just hope i didnt have nothing to do with it about our last game, but remember manstein was attacked with yer airfleet several turns and i didnt say anything, most of the time its our own fault for trying to bring our HQ too close to the troops. I think it was more frustating 1.06 with the air-carrier bug, 1.07 fixes some issues, i just hope SC2 would be the solution.

I has nothing to do with our game Condor. I have been frustrated on occasions. Your game is just one of the games that made me realize that the game was not going to be what I hoped for. With

1.06 patch

ladder+bidding system

1.07 patch

there was something new all the time. Now it feels like it is going to be like this and I have lost the motivation to make further, necessary, improvements. By the way, I do not think it is wrong that air poses a threat to HQ's. Instead I think it is bad that you cannot escape long-range enemy air even when u put HQ far behind.

[ April 23, 2003, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Zapp, Amen!!!

Air is redicilious!!! In my most recent games it's the sole deciding factor and nothing else matters once you learn the basics. It's all you need is luck on jet tech and long range and kill all HQs and your in like flynn. If the other side can't counter with better or more than your out...

88mm signs up to the ladder :D

ps: sorry to hear ZAPP* is leaving. I see your comment on AIR. Ever thinked about a max. AIR-units in laddergames ? Just a idea....

[ April 27, 2003, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: 88mm ]

Zapp:

As Rambo sez - play some golf, or otherwise take a break/vacation - from SC, not running the ladder. - As far as I'm concerned, you've more than done your bit running the ladder - Thanks.

After your vacation, Herr General, your troops, will no doubt again require your leaderhip.