European Union (beware of bureacrats bringing gifts)

reiver

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German,which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5-year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted

to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of

the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th"

with "z and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from words kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech

oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Zen ve vil rul ze world!!!

It would be easier if everybody would speak, write, & communicate in English. Now, some of these dudes learning English got one heavy accent, the Legend can't understand them. German dudes do very well with English, but their limitation is the total vocabulary. Now, my favorite are the "funny English" dudes: Irish, Aussies, & people from Boston...Man, I can't understand them! Now, Southerners got that funny twang, but I love that country/gospel music. Indian dudes do okay, just if they'd slow dow! Great thing about the United States, EVERYBODY knows what a dollar is, Coke, & Mickey D's smile.gif

I do agree.

But what's this bull**** about a new spelling??

And a friendly warning to you,Sbeu, I wouldn't say I was French in this forum, about 3/4 of the members have an unexplainable hatred for the French(me not included,I'm belgian,btw).

Most French have left this place after some traumatizing expreciences in the GF,or have retreated to the 'looking for french-speaking opponents'-forum.

Originally posted by Roosevelt45(the 2nd):

And a friendly warning to you,Sbeu, I wouldn't say I was French in this forum, about 3/4 of the members have an unexplainable hatred for the French(me not included,I'm belgian,btw).

Most French have left this place after some traumatizing expreciences in the GF,or have retreated to the 'looking for french-speaking opponents'-forum.

That means 3/4 of the people are idiots!

I'm not French but I think it's as idiotic to hold political issues against an entire people as it is to make blanket stereotypes about them. The Irish don't want to be seen as a bunch of drunks, the Italians don't want to be seen as a bunch of criminals and the Germans don't want to be seen as a bunch of nazis etc & etc, so what's all this stupidity against the French supposed to mean?

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

That means 3/4 of the people are idiots!

I'm not French but I think it's as idiotic to hold political issues against an entire people as it is to make blanket stereotypes about them. The Irish don't want to be seen as a bunch of drunks, the Italians don't want to be seen as a bunch of criminals and the Germans don't want to be seen as a bunch of nazis etc & etc, so what's all this stupidity against the French supposed to mean? [/QB]

That's what I said too. :D .

But appearantly it's a GF thing, my apologies.

You are of course very welcome, Sbeu.

The french government is very lame. A few select french dudes are probably okay (Pierre, Louie, & Antonet), but the rest...eh, I can do w/o.
Yes Like Lafeyette and those French who died to helped us earn our independance from the British! (And the Germans (Hessens) who were mercenaries for the Brits. Funny how time changes things, it was the Americans and the French against the British and the Germans).

lafayette.jpg

Curry

The Britain Hessian connection is an interesting one. The King of England was German at the time!

I'm not certain but I believe he was also the Prince of Hess and Hanover, though I'm shaky ground here. If he was, then the Hessians were probably his subjects. ;)

If not, they were pretty close.

In any case, many of the Hessians sent to Nort America remained here and even while in battle had little sympathy, ir any with either the British or the colonists.

Aside from which, during the American War of Independance there was noghing like a modern Germany to side with anyone. Only numerous German states.

Brother Rambo

Another interesting idea.

As I've made apparent over time, I'm don't take the Bible, either the Old or New Testament, literally. I'm not a debunker, not looking for proofs of any sort, to me a person's faith is sacred and if I don't believe it myself I'm still not out to in any way lessen what he other person believes.

We had near neighbors a few years back who took whatever their scripture was, so literally that their children were not allowed to believe in evolution. Dinosaurs never existed, the fossils were placed within layers of stone by agents of Satan, that sort of thing. To me Christianity means reconciling scripture with science, not saying it doesn't exist and the stars are a collection of twinkling trinkets.

Having said all that, it's because the story of Adam and Eve either needs to taken literally or within the context of modern science.

There was an intersting documentary last night on The Science Channel on the relationship of Neanderthal Man to Homo Erectus. The old idea was that neanderthal was slaughtered by a newer improved version. The new idea is they were probably around for comparable periods and Cro Magnum just survived and adapted better, possibly consuming a disproportionate amount of the available food supply. They even found what appears to be the remains of a child from a human between the two human types. And there's little doubt they both derived from a common ancestor.

I'm curious about where Adam Eve fits in. I believe it is a lingering account from that ancient period. I see no reason why it can't be interpreted in a religious perspective even if not taken literally with the apple and snake, which I feel are symbolic of evil and temptation.

Anyway, if all of that falls through we've still got the Hessians to fall back on. And the French are off the hook! ;)

Except for those telltale cave drawings. :cool:

JJ - not sure the true connection of the Hessen's. ( I think you spelled it correctly) Whether it was through King George or through the province. Perhaps someone can help us. Any Germans out there that know their German history very very well? But clearly they were German mercenaries.

The bottom line is it was the Brit's and the Germans even if the Brits had to pay the Germans. (Please note I did not say Germany, because you are right there was no Germany as we know it at that time, you are correct, I meant "Germans".) I do believe that you are also right and many of them stayed and become some of the first "German Americans".

[ September 14, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: Curry ]

Sir Jersey --- Too bad you don't live out here on the West Coast, you could have gone out with us. Went to a cool dinner party last weekend. My buddy from golfing (older Jewish dude) has alot of people over for burgers, beers, & social talk. All kinds of viewpoints about every subject. His brother is actually a State Senator, I was surrounded by Democrats! We had a great time discussing various possibilities of existance, future, politics, name it...

Food was great! One of the guy's brought wine (he's a sales rep. for an Oregon company for the stuff), local Hood River micro-brew, & GREAT SEATLLE COFFEE! That coffee was absolutely awesome! Legend needs a bag of that stuff!

Far as the neighbors who tell their kids not to believe in Dinosaurs? Well, they are nuts, stupid, & can't even defend the Faith correctly. The Bible has some wild stuff in it,"sons of God (fallen angels) having sex with chicks, creating some funky giants, pre-Noah-flood". Bible has mention of a unicorn too smile.gif

Far as you not being "fundamental" to the core of all the scriptures....well, God told us to "Repent, & Believe the Gospel", not "figure everything out" smile.gif

I know you grew up around alot of that East Coast goofy religious system stuff & have been stuck discussing religion with a bunch of knuckle-heads. But remember buddy, we love you & more importantly, God loves. Jesus is available to you 24/7, call on his name for salvation, don't worry about every detail.

ABC....Accept, Believe, Confess, that you are a sinner, Jesus died & rose from the dead to seal the deal.

I'VE ALWAYS LOVE THIS SCRIPTURE:

Chapter 38

1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb?

9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it,

10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors,

11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?

12 Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place;

13 That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it?

14 It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment.

15 And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken.

16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?

18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.

Rambo stated -

Screw Pershing, my Uncle K. crossed the Atlantic, hunted & sunk U-Boats.
If your uncle truly crossed the atlantic and sunk U-boats during the WWI era then I doubt that he would agree with you to "Screw Pershing". General Pershing was a great American hero and in his time was much bigger than Pattor or Ike ever became. He was a great American!!! I would not have expected you, Rambo, to DISPARAGE a Great American and a great General like General Pershing. IF you know your history it was the French who wanted to take our American Doughboys and just through them into the line placing them under the control of the French and the Brits in WWI. It was Pershing who said, "NO" that will never happen and insisted on our American force acting under American commanders and acting independentaly under the allied command. General Pershing was a very good General and a Great American in his day.

No, Uncle K. was in World War 2. I'm acting more like my Uncle, he was never fond of "the big Admirals & Generals" because they spent their time in the rear. My Uncle's destroyer was sunk early in the war, only a handful survived. Uncle K. was promptly put on another ship, he served thru the entire war, later worked for NASA & is alive today at the ripe age of 79! He lives in Austin, Texas.

Uncle J. was thrown in a detention camp while traveling to Romania as a small kid, along with other relatives, they escaped! Screw you Hitler! He later lived a nice life as a lawyer in Maryland, he died a few years ago of natural causes. I got alot of relatives who served, both my parents came from HUGE families smile.gif

"There's goes 'old Blood & Guts. Yeah, our Blood, his Guts." --- quote from the movie Patton.

16 Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?

17 Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death?

18 Hast thou perceived the breadth of the earth? declare if thou knowest it all.

Well, the Lizard King saw all this

And more.

Much more.

morrison.jpg

Trouble is, as it usually is,

He departed

This poor paltry Earth

Before he could tell it all,

In poetic and in musics,

Though,

What we did hear

Was... quite some kind of story. :cool:

Began on the Desert.

As it always does.

Ended, in Paris,

As it... never really does. ;)

Do I get the prize? Maybe the Lizard King is a fallen devil?
Mebbe so, mebbe so... heark to this! :cool:

Only a few got the call, brother rambo,

Only a praeternaturel few.

Here's another that did...

swaggart.jpg

Now,

YOU know, and I know,

Who this is.

What MOST don't know,

IS... he and James Douglas Morrison

Are as kin

Under the molten skin.