Clash of Steel?

Night Moves

Hi all. First off, I'm not trying to trash this game or anything, as I have just downloaded the demo and am eager to try it out.

I was just wondering if anyone out there who had played Clash of Steel in the past could tell me how this game is different? It looks similar, but hopefully better.

Thanks, and we'll see you around.

Well.. erhm.. I have played the demo twice or so, and then felt the need to moslo Clash of Steel: Future Edition. And as far as I can tell the games are similar as far as both being on the strategic scale. The maps being similar, same unit sizes. There are several small, albeit important differences though. As for example how the two games handle navies, production, politics, and air power.

All in all, I enjoy the heck out of both games and will definitly buy SC whenever it is released.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

Wasn't Saving Private Ryan just an updated of A Walk In The Sun? What the hell was Speilberg thinking of, anyway? ;)

LOL

And here, after all this time, I thought that I was still the only guy on earth to notice that! :D

Well, I played the demo a bit last night. It was a limited view, but it looked pretty good. Yes, it's similar, but the combat seems a little more well thought out then COS. I didn't really get into the politics too much, but it looked like fun. Definately a game I will keep my eye on. This one could be one of those games that changes the face of the industry.

I must have had my head in the sand called EverQuest (or Diablo, or StarCraft, etc.) for too long. I don't remember Clash of Steel. Who was/is it made by ? Is there a web site ? I couldn't find anything on yahoo or even wargamer.com that referenced it.

Thanks for any direction you can provide to the new war gamer on the block.

[ June 21, 2002, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Zagurim ]

Originally posted by Night Moves:

Hi all. First off, I'm not trying to trash this game or anything, as I have just downloaded the demo and am eager to try it out.

I was just wondering if anyone out there who had played Clash of Steel in the past could tell me how this game is different? It looks similar, but hopefully better.

The demo does look nice, and if I hadn't known about CoS I would have been desperatly looking for my credit card by now. But based on what I've seen in a couple of tries of the demo I really fail to see that the few added features would be worth the 30-40 € this game is bound to cost, especially since one crucial feature (and a few others) of CoS seems to have been omitted; the choice to have several ground units attack at once. This feature alone makes CoS a more realistic game. Without the possibility to make more than one to one attacks, where is the military strategy?

All this said, I really want to like this game... please convince me that I am wrong so I can happily buy this game (get the world economy going)! :D

Originally posted by Scanian:

At this level, you have to remember that many units (divisions, brigades, etc.) ARE attacking at once. At least imagine that as the units go at it... I do, and it helps a great deal... so does the ale!

It's a fun game, and that's what matters to me.

Enjoy!

Aloid

Originally posted by Moon:

Scanian, the game is $25 plus S&H.

Martin

I'm afraid that doesn't convince me that buying SC would make me a happier man. Come on, give me some real evidence that this game is actually more worthwhile than CoS! :(

I wasn't trying to convince you, just clearing up an apparent misinformation about the price. You can convince yourself by playing the demo before deciding if you want to purchase or not. If it's not a game for you, so be it.

Martin

Originally posted by Aloid:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scanian:

At this level, you have to remember that many units (divisions, brigades, etc.) ARE attacking at once. At least imagine that as the units go at it... I do, and it helps a great deal... so does the ale!

It's a fun game, and that's what matters to me.

Enjoy!

Aloid</font>

The most important thing about computer games is to have fun. Very true, but...

Based on the demo, to me it just looks as if SC is a much less realistic game than CoS although it looks basically the same. From what I've seen of the battle mechanics the results seem to be basically random whatever units you try to attack with. Attacking a corps with an army almost always causes an equal amount of damage to the army as to the corps. Another feature from CoS that is not in the demo (at least) of SC is retreat, units just sit until they are annihilated. Not very realistic... sure, total annihilation has happened IRL, but if that is the only way to gain enemy ground this game falls very short of realism.

The things I like about SC are the experience gaining mechanism and the fact that the AI seems competent from what I've seen. But unless more realistic battle mechanics is introduced in the full version, I can't see why I should buy the game, even if it only costs 25$... will there be significant changes?

Originally posted by Scanian:

From what I've seen of the battle mechanics the results seem to be basically random whatever units you try to attack with. Attacking a corps with an army almost always causes an equal amount of damage to the army as to the corps.

Might want to take a look at the combat again... if you have a well supplied, experienced corps at a high state of readiness I'd say it would do fine against an army group that has been on the move for a while, perhaps low on supplies and at a lowered level of cohesion. One of the nice details of the game I've found is that unit cohesion (in the form of readiness state) and plannign (in the form of leadership bonus') are reflected in combat.

Another feature from CoS that is not in the demo (at least) of SC is retreat, units just sit until they are annihilated. Not very realistic... sure, total annihilation has happened IRL, but if that is the only way to gain enemy ground this game falls very short of realism.

Armeegruppen don't move on a dime. IF you organize a wounded army sized unit to move in a week you are doing well... I think it's quite realistic not to have these (up to) quarter million man counters pingponging around europe as a result of an enemy move. Because some other game did things one way and this one doesn't doesn't make this one unrealistic... As a pair of games that can both be called Super-Sized Panzer General I don't especially think that hard realism has much to do with either.

One thing I'd like to see (other than paratroopers)is the availalability of a 3 (or 4) player version. That the Bear might do things a little differently than you might want to sitting at SHEAF... Both playing to the destruction of the Reich... BUt both also having slightly differing victory conditions...

[ June 24, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Compassion ]

"One thing I'd like to see (other than paratroopers)is the availalability of a 3 (or 4) player version."

Oh yes!!! Bring that on, imagine the PBEM games with several players involved!!?! The Email-diplomacy.

I was hoping it would handle more than twoplayers out o the box.

• 2 months later...