Topographic maps of Italy - a website

Here is a great website for scenario creators: it contains all topographic maps of Italy, down to 1:25.000 scale (and to 1:10.000 orthophotos).

Unfortunately it's all in italian: follow these steps to enter and use it.

1) go to www.atlanteitaliano.it

2) click on "Cartografia" (upper menu bar)

3) click on "Accesso" below "Accesso libero" (free access)

4) click ok to read the policy

5) click on "Accetto" (footpage)

*) if it asks for an userid/pw just leave blank and press Ok

6) choose "Installazione automatica" (or manual, as you wish. you're going to install an ECW viewer to see the map through your browser)

7) after installing, you should see an ECW logo on the left side. look right and click on the blue "QUI" (here) to go to the maps

*) if it asks for an userid/pw just leave blank and press Ok

8) here you are. select the region you want to see from the left map menu, and choose the type of map from the right frame.

"Ortofoto B-n" are B&W orthophotos. IGM (Istituto Geografico Militare) are the topographic maps used by the italian army, ranging from 1:500.000 to 1:25.000 for each region.

If you need help, translations or anything you can mail me!

ciao

massimiliano

Sorry Hans, they're not downloadable.

There are some useful tools for viewing:if you click on the "Immagini affiancate" icon (2nd from left, top left corner), you can get a twin view of orthophoto & 1:25.000, or B/W orthophoto & colour orthophotos, as you wish.

Moreover, clicking on the "Immagini sovrapposte" icon (3rd from left, top left corner) you will get an overlay view. It's very useful to overlay orthophotos with IGM maps, so you can see the name of the places on the photos!

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Best of all the IGm 1:25000 seem to be WW2 era!

This is not correct.

Thanks so much for this excellent resource.
This is.

A bit of clever screen capturing will enable you to save these maps.
As is this. FWIW, 1:15,000 seems to be a good scale at which to be able to read the detail on the "IGM 1:25,000" maps

Originally posted by JonS:

This is not correct.

JonS,

Do you know what era these maps are from? The cartographic quality and the fonts sure do appear to be from the 30's and '40s.

There is something in the information page about April 1941 blah blah 1999. translation anyone?

Originally posted by simovitch:

AndrewTF

I got screen captured bitmaps of San Vittore del Lazio. email me and I can attach them and send them off.

cheers.

btw - I grew up in Ross :cool: and went to grade school in San Anselmo... small world!

Ross... wow! Ritzy. I grew up in Novato and find myself living there yet again. smile.gif

Check your e-mail, and thanks! I'll use the maps to complete the world's longest scenario-in-progress.

I have to side with Hoolaman here. For the 1:25000 topo's: based on the ortho/topo overlay comparison at San Pietro Infini, The topographic quality of the maps, and the annotation style, I would have to say that these are pretty close to the 1940's.

This is one for the cartographic forensic files. :D

I have been looking at the ORSOGNA area (east coast, ARBRUZZO region, SW of ORTONA, roughly x=439432, y=4675656), and the size of the towns there is very different to 1940s. Also, there are sewerage ponds, and most tellingly a large number of new, major routes with 'clover leaf' on and off ramps.

Maybe some parts are new, some are old.

*shrug*

I will remain sceptical that they are 1940s.

[ February 06, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: JonS ]

Actually, you are correct, checking out some of the other regions, including *parts* of Arbruzzo region, there are modern maps amongst them. The true test is to bring up the satellite overview and compare.

However *most* of the maps, including the Lazio region and even all of Rome, are old. The Leonardo daVinci international airport is not even on them, and I am pretty sure construction began for it began in 1958.

ah, ok. I stand partially corrected then smile.gif While rummaging about there the other day, I noticed one of the overlays consists of the grid of maps, with dates for each map. Unfortunately I couldn't tell which map it related to. A bit more rummaging should be able to put two and two together (It crashed on me, and besides its hella slow on a 56k dialup :( )

• 2 weeks later...

I think this one deserves a *bump*

Any scenario designer can find all of italy in 1:25000 topo. It is a gold mine.

As we have established, *most* of the maps seem to be wartime era give or take a few years.

So check it out!!

As noted above a freeware program called screenprint32 v3.5 can be used to save or print a screengrab of the maps.

If anyone is having trouble getting the maps, post your exact requirements including region and nearby towns, and I will see if I can find them and pass them on via email.

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by Hoolaman:

If anyone is having trouble getting the maps, post your exact requirements including region and nearby towns, and I will see if I can find them and pass them on via email.

I'm having trouble opening it. Could be because I am using Firefox as my browser.

If possible, can you scan for me the area Villa Strada (not to be confused with the town of Strada) / Villa Bonazza? This is roughly 14 miles south of Florence, and just north of Tavarnelle (also known as Tavarnelle Val di Pesa). It is just west of route 2, the main N-S highway leading to Florence.

E-mail me if you have any question. I do appreciate this.

BTW, thanks to JonS for the reference.