Clash of Steel?

Kryx

Is this by the same author as the old Clash of Steel game?

It seems to be a very very close approximation of the game. Some things seem to be upgraded.. as in the naval components are integrated into the main screen, but some things seem to be lost that Clash of Steel had. The ability to combine force efforts in assaults, and the politics seem to be completely random now where in Clash of Steel there was points and pressure that could be applied.

I have missed Clash of Steel since it stopped working back when I think I got my first Pentium. I tried to order the game.. but the order form returned a CGI error.. hrmm.. I will try again later.

-Kryx

Does anyone recall the board game (I think Avalon Hill) called Fortress Europa? It seemed to me that it was a watered down version of The Third Reich. Anyway, I thought it was a very good, very playable game. Based on my early impressions, SC seems to be very much like Fortress Europa.

I played Fortress Europa about twenty years ago. While it didn't have the headache inducing complexity of Third Reich, it was a playable and challenging game.

Unlike Third Reich, it only covered the Western Front from Overlord onwards.

Go to http://www.aardwolfgames.com/aardmakehtml.mv?look4=1409.00000&src=DETAILS if you want a quick nostalgia fix.

Thanks for the site! Wow, what a treasure. I looked around the site and found another old game that reminds me of SC... Hitler's War. To be honest, I think I was referring to Hitler's War and not Fortress Europa. Anyway, lots of memories came crashing into my head. Memories like - breaking counters out of the sheets, taking hours to set up a map only to have my dog crash into it... and others of the same ilk.

Thanks again! smile.gif

I wonder what proportion of visitors to this site are also (or were also?) board wargamers. Under conservative estimates my collection is worth (and insured for) £5000 but 99% are entombed in boxes probably never to be played again. Maybe I'll take them along to the antiques roadshow one day.........

My personal favourite is AH's Russian Campaign followed by XTRs Storm in the West.

To continue the "stroll down memory lane" and date myself...

Sometime in the early to mid 80's, I attended Origins (the wargaming annual convention) in Detroit. Played in the Squad Leader tourney (lost, 1st round ; my Dad played too - won 1st round, lost 2nd to eventual champion). But, what was fun was the auction that ocurred near the end of the convention. This is what I remember: Original Midway, mint condition being sold by AH. I can only imagine what that puppy would be worth today. And, talk about a fun game - Midway with all the add-on variants published in The General. Hey, someone go make a "true" computer game of Midway and I am there!

Sorry, have to stop thinking about this stuff - reminds me of leg-warmers, Flashdance and Pac-Man...

I haven`t had it (played lots of AH`s "Submarine"!) but it was rather primitive as simulation and memorable by its u-boot metal pieces in a box.. .

Did anybody liked/played Storm across Europe from SSI first on C-64, later on PC? It was just like SC but area movement, very playable, quite tough and consuming.

Regards Hon.

Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

That link to the board-game site is also much appreciated by me. smile.gif

I thought I either owned, or had played all of the old AH games, but somehow (... how could this be?) I missed out on that Charles Roberts game -- "U-Boat." Anyone play it, or know something about it?

Hitler's War was beautiful as a game and as an intellectual excercise; i.e. how abstract can you make a game and have it still simulate historic events. So few hexes, no units below the army group level, instantaneous movement overland. Fascinating & fun.

Before Avalon Hill prettied it up (a little), Hitler's War was a cheap minigame printed on cardstock and sold in a ziplock bag; I almost wish they'd kept it that way and sold it for $8. Might have gotten new people into the hobby.

When I read elsewhere of people advocating that SC be expanded to cover the whole world at one scale I harkened back to my own attempt to do the same thing using Hitler's War and Aide de Camp (boardgame helper software). Suffice to say it wasn't pretty.

[ September 18, 2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: BobWarlock ]