Stacking

I understand the resons why ground units cant stack and dont have a problem with that; I even can live with the fact that air units cant stack with ground units; what I would like to see though is naval units being able to stack. I dont like a fleet taking up so much ocean. This seems like it would be an easy thing to pull off and it would be much better to move them as a group.

The only instance that I see, by playing the demo, where not being able to stack land and air units could be a problem, is Malta. I am very keen to try to go all out for Suez at least once as the Axis and I will want to capture Malta in preparation for that. Seems like Malta may be an easy target without being able to base both land and air elements there.

Maybe I'm missing something or things will be different in the final game. Time will tell. This seems like it will be a very enjoyable game and I cant wait to get my final copy. Hats off to Herbie!

I agree with you up to a point. For example, if the Axis would invade Malta, they'd probably put all the ships that they could on one spot to cover the landings, not all around the island. But what you must understand is that one ship (e.g. a Destroyer) already represents an entire fleet (the Destroyer plus support vessels) so it does make sense that ships/fleets cannot be stacked as it could create too much confusion.

SS_Obergruppenführer is right, one naval counter isn't just 1 ship. When it says "Carrier Hood" or whatever the name was, I like to read that as Hood is the main ship where the fleet commander sits or something. I mean, in the 1940 scenario that we play in the demo, UK has probably 300 ships or something, and it's only portrayed in 10 units or so (can't remember the exact number). So that would be 10 fleets, not 10 ships.

I doubt you can place all thoose ships into one single hex without them seeing each other, atleast not in normal weather. And weather effects give no penalty in this game, so smile.gif

~Norse~

Personally, I'd have to agree with blackbellamy on this one. In a 50 mile area there could definitely have been the entire german navy and probably most of the british navy (although I'm pretty sure they would run into each other).

For the purposes of the game, it seems that not having stacking is the better way to go. It helps play balance. Consider having stacking and a player would consolidate all their ships into a very small area. In responce the other player would eventually do the same and it would just be a big shootout every game. Not much for tactics/strategy there, right?

Stacking has confused me as well.

In Advanced Third Reich you could only put so many land units or air units or naval units in a hex. But the presence of a land unit did not preclude the chance to base air units in the hex. And a port meant naval units could be there as well.

My question is, why would a land unit prohibit an air unit or a naval unit from cohabiting a hex?.

It doesn't seem to make practical sense currently. It appears to arbitrary, to say sorry just one counter regardless of what the counter is.

The stacking of navies was actually a minor point as the effect of not being able to stack on Malta was my main concern. Just seems like Malta will be much easier to take than it should be. Guess you could always post an infantry unit there and keep a carrier close but that is a poor substitute.

I realize it is Hurbert, just being a little familiar for some reason. Certainly no offense meant.