Early attack on Iraq

CJW

I was wondering if an early attack on Iraq has been attempted by other SC players (probably) for the allies (i.e. turn two). It is one of those areas that the Axis cannot defend and all you really need do is take the oil wells for UK and you have a 30 point bonus/turn. OK so you annoy the US but with a little planning you could take Iraq as well and be a thorn in the Axis side in the med for the rest of the game.

If other players have tried this how successful has it been?

What do you need an army/HQ for? On turn one you operationally move the Egypt core out so that you you then have it and the resident french core adjacent to irag. Turn two you declare war and the UK core captures the oil wells and sits there. You cannot recapture them with the Iraq core because then you lose Iraq. Only way to do it is capture the oil well and fly in figthers to Baghdad. With oil wells captured the UK earns +30 points/turn. Capturing Iraq would be good but it is a later goal if the oppurtunity presents itself (i.e. you move another core or so across)

Like I say it's just a thought

Replace the the corps with an LF until the fall of france and the italian readiness does not increase. ;)

Since you can´t really counterattack without this airfleet in GB switch to an corps defence in France and plan an Italien Gambit with your English troops, knocking out the italien fleet securing your investment in Irak.

20-40 Rounds of +30 MP for GB until the axis retakes Irak (if it does retake ist)it is a lot of MPS......

Agreed. In almost all the games I have played the Axis take Iraq anyway so you might as well get something out of it while you can. 30 rounds of 30 extra points is 900 MPPs for GB...not to bad.

Originally posted by CJW:

I was wondering if an early attack on Iraq has been attempted by other SC players (probably) for the allies (i.e. turn two). It is one of those areas that the Axis cannot defend and all you really need do is take the oil wells for UK and you have a 30 point bonus/turn. OK so you annoy the US but with a little planning you could take Iraq as well and be a thorn in the Axis side in the med for the rest of the game.

If other players have tried this how successful has it been?

and don't forget, axis get for bagdad, 30 turns, 10 mp.....=300 mp

so with the usa loss(of later joining) of 3x 180 mp=540

and the ussr loss of at least 2 x +/- 450 mp= 900

i think taking only the oilfields in iray is VERY unprofiteble, if bagdad is not taken

Originally posted by Sanmaya:

and don't forget, axis get for bagdad, 30 turns, 10 mp.....=300 mp

so with the usa loss(of later joining) of 3x 180 mp=540

and the ussr loss of at least 2 x +/- 450 mp= 900

i think taking only the oilfields in iray is VERY unprofiteble, if bagdad is not taken

Yes, axis gets although 10 MP per round still:

- Depending on the axis player strategy the US enters sometimes the war after the declaration of war against the UDSSR . In this case you don´t loose anything.

- You have these extra MPs early on. Like an investment in a bank early MPS are muchmore useful than getting them late.

- KB of UDSSR is early on not influcened by a declaration of war

- An advantage of the declaration of war is an additional corps +125 MP for the axis

It is a creative idea, but there are some flaws I think.

I haven't seen any games where the USSR comes in before the USA, unless Axis attacks Turkey... The typical (tried and proven) strategy is to knock off many minor countries and collect lots of MPPs until the last minute, then go after USSR with a massive invasion at the last possible moment... All those minor country DOWs bring the USA into the war first. So the Allied DOW will cost them in terms of delayed US entry I'm sure.

- operating the air fleet in and out cost you 100MPPs, 50 of which come early and can be used to help the defense of France.

- Axis will probably be able to retake the oil fields in Fall/Winter of 1941 fairly easily, unless Allies knock out Bagdad. In this case the Axis player can choose to delay the invasion of Spain and get the about the same MPPs. Both the USSR and USA will delay entry into the war in this case (I'm not sure exactly how long but at least 2 turns I think) effectively granting the Axis as much as 1000 MPPs (Axis production >500 with Norway, Sweden, Romania and Iraq).

my 2c

FF

[ June 25, 2004, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: Friendly Fire ]

Originally posted by Friendly Fire:

It is a creative idea, but there are some flaws I think.

I haven't seen any games where the USSR comes in before the USA, unless Axis attacks Turkey... The typical (tried and proven) strategy is to knock off many minor countries and collect lots of MPPs until the last minute, then go after USSR with a massive invasion at the last possible moment... All those minor country DOWs bring the USA into the war first. So the Allied DOW will cost them in terms of delayed US entry I'm sure.

- operating the air fleet in and out cost you 100MPPs, 50 of which come early and can be used to help the defense of France.

- Axis will probably be able to retake the oil fields in Fall/Winter of 1941 fairly easily, unless Allies knock out Bagdad. In this case the Axis player can choose to delay the invasion of Spain and get the about the same MPPs. Both the USSR and USA will delay entry into the war in this case (I'm not sure exactly how long but at least 2 turns I think) effectively granting the Axis as much as 1000 MPPs (Axis production >500 with Norway, Sweden, Romania and Iraq).

my 2c

FF

@ Friendly fire: ;) I agree with you it is an unusal strategy with many flaws ( the reason why it isn´t played much by the Allied player)

Regarding your first point: Attacking Irak => transfer of airfleet => you should adapt IMHO a defensive corps defense in France => freeing troops for some aggressive moves elsewhere : Spain, Med, Italian gambit.

Looking forward to play against you smile.gif

If the Italian fleet is dead you can still kill the Allied fleet and still take Iraq. Take Vichy-Algeria and use LW with HQ in Sicily to pound Royal Navy till it's dust <if it doesn't get out of your way> then transfer over Armies, corps to Tobruk and go in slowly. 4-6 airfleets pounding Alexandria with HQ support will kill it. That's the extremely slow way to go but I've had to and done it successfully many times. Put Germany Armor to head your attack in front of the Land units. When Alexandria and Suez finally fall from overhwelming Air Power push right through to Syria and then you've got a direct resupply route to smash Iraq when you choose to.

For Allies to take Iraq the UK should build up a good bid and transfer her units via Suez and use some of her fleet as a Sacrifice to prevent the Axis from getting Iraq first. If the Allies get it first and or let Russia get it then it's a Massive plus for them. The Germans need Gibraltar and Spain to make Iraq valuable. Who cares about Readiness for US/USSR if you get huge bonuses in MP, if the Germans are playing that slowly they're betting on Tech or something. In the end the Allies always have the MPP Upperhand, and they can only take it from you by Vamping the Minors. Good luck in your exploits folks