Screen Resolutions

The problem with the whining is that right now when the game runs at 1024x768 it will use the default refresh rate, usually around 60Hz. On some monitors this rate can be very low and appear to flash quite a bit or 'whine' in your case. Originally the game was designed to identify the highest refresh rate available on your system at 1024x768 and switch to that rate, but it appears that on some systems if the default monitor driver is used, sometimes the reported refresh rate will be higher than what the current monitor settings can allow. This caused the black screens on day one of the demo release.

As a workaround you can reset your refresh rate manually once the game loads, or use a third party utility that locks refresh rates at various resolutions, Powerstrip comes to mind. This is just temporary solution and I'm working on a better system for the final.

I hope this helps,

Hubert

Hey Hubert,

I too would would like to see this minor video resolution worked out. I don't mind the game running at 1024x768, but it causes issues with resizing my desktop when I use the escape key and also resizing windows upon exit to 1024x768.

I run 1280 resolution on a Dell laptop with an ATI rage mobility pro video card. Running Windows 2000 professional OS.

Anyway, thought I would pass this along, but you seem to be already working on the bugs. Great job! Really enjoying the demo.

Cheers,

Sarge

Yeah when you escape the game it will be at 1024x768 since the game is still running (I might be able to work around this), but it stays at 1024x768 when you actually exit the game, meaning you hit the 'Exit' button and cleared the credits? and does not return to your original resolution, something other than 1024x768.

Just want to clarify so I can be sure, because it should. Either way glad to hear that you are enjoying the game.

Hubert

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Yeah when you escape the game it will be at 1024x768 since the game is still running (I might be able to work around this), but it stays at 1024x768 when you actually exit the game, meaning you hit the 'Exit' button and cleared the credits? and does not return to your original resolution, something other than 1024x768.

No. Upon exit it will return to 1280 resolution. The escape key work around would be nice. I consider that my 'panic' button. "nothing to see here...just my boring desktop...move along now..." ;)

Anyway, the issue with exit (not escape) is that my neatly arranged desktop icons are moved to the left to accomodate 1024 while the game is running and upon exit. Also windows that may have been open to a larger size are reduced to exactly 1024 x 768. A small annoyance really but these little things do add up....

Hope this clarifies things.

-Sarge

[ May 25, 2002, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Sarge Saunders ]

I get this as well. All my icons that I placed around my background picture get moved upon exiting. ie they migrate to the upper left corner of the desktop. No big issue - just mildly annoying. One work around is to never stop playing I suppose :D

Yeah this is going to be a problem if you use custom positions for your icons and a higher resolution than 1024x768 which the game runs at. A nice utility that saves and restores desktop settings is 12Ghosts, you can check it out at the following link, and I've heard that it does a pretty good job in this respect:

http://www.12ghosts.com/ghosts/sl.htm

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by Cpl Carrot:

I get this as well. All my icons that I placed around my background picture get moved upon exiting. ie they migrate to the upper left corner of the desktop. No big issue - just mildly annoying. One work around is to never stop playing I suppose :D

CC,

What could you possibly know? I hear you associate with Newbies. tongue.gif

Speaking of newbies...

I'm just checking if I have that embarrassing title of "Junior Member" after all these years.

;)

Edit: Woohoo, I'm now a member... after almost three years :-/

[ May 25, 2002, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: von_M ]