Exel vs Arngrim pbem AAR

Exel

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T48?

29 June-41

Resolution is sunk, Alexandria corps annihilated by Italian air.

British corps advance on Algiers.

British take Copenhagen.

Russians take Warsaw, Russians sweep forward, expecting resistance soon.

Timoschenco given command at the western front.

Turn 49:

Battle in southern France keeps the western Allies occupied and their feeble offensive attempt and the Axis counter-attack result in rather heavy losses for them. Eastern front is not so good, Königsberg is surrounded but it holds against overwhelming odds. Warsaw is pounded heavily but the corps withdraw. Berlin and Prague are defended by hastily summoned armies, and are each supported by additional corps. In the fleet battle just off of the coast of French North Africa the British sink the last Italian battleship. But the subs retaliate, and a British battleship is sunk as well. Now it's one near-mint British battleship and badly understrenght cruiser fleet versus lightly damaged Italian sub fleet. Brits also prepare to re-invade Algiers, but Alexandria on the other hand is emptied and Italians prepare to invade. Plans to attack Iraq are cancelled, but preparations for a blitz invasion of Greece take place. If Germany manages to delay the Soviets for a couple of turns and the west Allies yet fail to advance on Italy, the invasion of Greece and its plunder should give Italy what it needs to fight its own war after Germany collapses.

Btw, we seem to have some inconsistency in our AAR files, Arngrim's postings being one turn ahead of mine here and one turn behind there. Blame the long (3 weeks?) pause we were forced to have. :/

T 50?

13 July -41

Italians and Germans continue struggling in southern France. Mostly ignored by the allies. Alexandria falls.

Königsberg captured by Russia, Algiers captured by British. Subhunting in Med, minor damage.

Konev is given command

Turn 51:

Alexandria taken, ground forces move to ports and air fleet relocates to Sicily with intentions to attack the British ships nearby. Sub war provides a tad more casualties to the Brits than to the subs themselves. Königsberg ties up Soviet troops and buys Germany time to strenghten the defences around Berlin and Prague, though the latter is already threatened by Soviet armor. The front line in southern France is stable, but the French casualties are higher, especially due to an elite - though badly understrenght - Italian army directly under Balbo's command. This allows West Germany to be defended with only few corps, as the French wont be going anywhere without exposing their underbelly to the army in the south.

Arngrim got ahead of me in the AAR postings (missing some turn descriptions somewhere?), so here goes another:

Turn 53:

West Germany evacuated and left open for the French in the face of imminent Soviet threat towards Berlin. A coherent line is established against them, but it will now be only a matter of time before it is squashed in between two armies, the Soviet and the French. Italy also starts withdrawal in southern France, partly to ensure that the French wont flank to Italy from the now open western Germany, but mainly to get better defensive positions as attacking is no longer feasible. British cruiser fleet sunk, but the sub fleet is dangerously few in numbers now, and the air force fails to cause much damage to the remaining British battleship. Another British cruiser fleet sails in, though it is severly understrenght as well. Italian invasion fleet sails towards Greece.

27 Juli -41

Glouchester sunk.

Axis withdraw in the west and in southern france. Probably building a meatwall against the Russkis.

Cologne and Essen taken by France.

Kiel taken by the british.

Bock hammered to 20%

Russian army on steady advance.

Still no real resistance, guess they're all in France.

Italian sub sunk. The seas are allied.

British corps outside Tripoli.

Chuikov given command. That should be enough HQ’s. Time for the Russian air to build up.

Turn 55:

Wehrmacht sets up for its last stand in central Germany, in and around Berlin, with Bock - now appointed Reich's Feldmarschall - in command. The Army is surrounded from all directions, but it still fights on valiantly, destroying a Soviet corps outside Berlin. Italians continue their withdrawal in good order, southern Germany is evacuated and a new line established in the Alps. In the west the Italian elite army counter-attacks while the corps around it pull back to the line. Africa, too, is evacuated and is now open for Allied invasion already on its way. Invasion of Greece begins, and the defenders of Athens don't stand a chance against the veteran Italian armies disembarking from their landing craft directly to the gates of the city.

24 Aug -41

Germans fight for Berlin, and manage to kill a tank. I have more.

Italians take Greece and prepare to defend Italy.

Russians pound Berlin, and the troops trying to hold the west and southern areas, Slaughtering Germans in droves. German army in Germany are down to 1 fullstrength, and one 50% army in, and next to Berlin.

Berlin estimated to fall next turn.

I suspect that the finns are marching on the northern Russian town, I hope they take it, as that would transfer the Siberians, giving me more air and HQ for free!

Losses:

Land: Air: Naval:

Axis : 25 1 7

Allies: 21 1 10

[ June 09, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Arngrim ]

Turn 57:

The defensive ring in central Germany tightens and a Soviet tank army is destroyed outside Berlin. German troops now totals 3 armies and 4 corps. Italy suffers a setback as RAF wipes out the elite army in southern France. More troops are summoned to the eastern Alps while withdrawal in the west slowly continues. Greece falls and troop deployments for Yugoslavian campaign begin.

Turn 59:

Germans defenders are down to two armies, but they still destroy yet another Soviet army outside Berlin. Italy gives up plans to attack Yugo and pull most of the forces in Greece to reinforce the homeland defences. Garrisons are left to Athens and Albania. Re-entering North Africa with limited force is also considered.

*note to Arngrim: you are really missing some turn AARs

September 7 -41

Italians take up defensive positions on their border.

Berlin falls, red army head south.

GB&F assigned western Italy, Russia assigned eastern Italy.

New HQ’s for France and GB should appear next turn. Russia has over 1500 MPP’s to spend, I’m sure I can find something to do with them…

-Exel: -I really don't check the dates. I suspect that you write AAR before and after your turn.

Turn 61:

Italy stands alone. The lines hold, and some small scale counter-attacks are made with good results. Western front is commanded by Balbo with one army and three corps, while Gariboldi commands one army and two corps in the east. One more army is moving up to join with Gariboldi's troops, while another starts entreching in Rome. One army is sent to Tobruk to meet with the advancing British, while a corps is sent behind them to take Tripoli. Air fleet rebases to Corsica to harrass the British navy while there still is a chance - I suspect the RN carriers are well on their way to the Med.

Originally posted by Arngrim:

-Exel: -I really don't check the dates. I suspect that you write AAR before and after your turn.

Nope, I write them after each turn, though I may sometimes comment on the events of your turn too.

Forgot the date.

Reorganizing the troops to break through the lines. Navy is entering the Med.

Russia think that rocket tech would be cool to have, just in case they ever want to go into space after eating up Italy….

Turn 63:

Nothing much going on, minor clashes and reinforcing along the fronts. Tripoli taken without resistance and the British Africa corps (hehe) are now cut off between Tobruk and Tripolitania. Brits sail in more ships, but they're all understrenght and a battleship receives a pounding from Italian Air Force.

I still would have enough reserves to take Yugo in a blitz with little luck, but any delay would be fatal to my troops participating in the campaign. Also, it would expose my southern holdings to the Soviet onslaught, and the plunder wouldn't quite be enough to compensate that.

[ June 09, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Exel ]

November I think.

A bit uninspired, I never liked kicking a man when he’s down, but this is the way Exel wants it.

Italians decide to fight for the med. Take Tripoli. The navy is now in the med, but not in position to strike yet.

GB decide to ship a corps a turn instead of the HQ, just to keep the Italians honest in the med. Allies attack along the line. No breakthrough yet. Swiss and Yougo DOW, mostly to expand the frontline. Swiss holds, and I’ll get around to beating Yougo eventually. More Russian air, and a new HQ

Turn 65:

The Allies brutally attack via neutral Switzerland and Yugoslavia. Their breakthrough attempt fails, but the Swiss are forced to withdraw in line with the Italians to close the gap. An Italian army moves behind them in anticipation of Swiss surrender. Yugoslavians pull into line west of their capitol, and Italian corps move to reinforce from Albania. Now I hope I had decided differently about Yugo - at least I would have gotten the plunder before facing the Soviet steamroller. Air force sinks a British battleship, but carriers are spotted - I suspect that'll be the end of my air war...

Dec 14

Attacks along the line. A carrier arrives in the med theatre, so does the Russian cruisers.

Russian air starts to take its toll. Swiss surrender.

Allies pound away across the entire front, no real progress, apart from Marseilles, evacuated to shorten the Italian line I guess. Navy bomards away an Italian air that was left out of supply on sicily???

The corps railway from GB is well underway. Marseilles port will also provide landing corps to help speed up italy’s surrender.

Tech breakthrough! Russia gets AT 1

Turn 67:

Soviets breach through the line in the east and reach the gates of Venice, but an army is brought up while HQ pulls back. British corps run into the defenders on Tobruk and get beaten. Counter-attack reduces them to two. Corps close on Algiers.

Turn 69:

British corps are on the run in Africa, but the chase doesn't produce any results yet. I hope I can annihilate them before they reach Tripoli again and before the RN gets in range to strike. Algiers taken, but the corps there will surely be destroyed. Italian corps pull back to Albania from Yugo after receiving a beating. Yugos break their line and send one corps west to slow the Soviets down on their voyage south. Gariboldi disbands and a new corps is formed to fill a gap in the west. Army from Rome is moved north - this war will be fought to the end in the Alps.

8 March -42

attacks along the frontline, those mountings really make the going slow.

Italian rogue corps killed, british and French sail to threaten coastal areas.

More Russian air puschased.advancing a bit in Yugoslavia, have a lot of troops that cant reach the frontline, might as well get some experience….

Turn 71:

British Africa Corps reduced to 1, Italian army to 4. Tripoli two turns away, carriers just 1... Italians pull back in places to fill the gaps created by Allied attacks, and a corps is brought to Rome to prevent invasion threat.