Exel vs Arngrim pbem AAR

Exel

Rematch. Coin dictated the sides to be the same as in our last clash. So I'm the mighty Axis and Arngrim may squel as the puny Allies. ;)

Rules:

- No Rome gambit.

- No extensive concentration on a single non-land unit type.

- Allies may surrender when London, Moscow, Stalingrad and Leningrad are controlled by Axis.

- Axis may surrender when either Germany or Italy has fallen and the remaining major has enemy troops on its soil.

The AARs will be posted with a 5 turn delay, allowing us to comment our moves already in the planning phase, but still keeping the posts fresh.

The game is on, first reports will be posted soon I'm sure. smile.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn 1:

Panzers roll east. Two armies are moved west to counter the possibility of Allied attack via Low Countries. Subs divide in two, other going north and other towards the coast of Canada, with the hopes of at least one of them surviving til French fleet is no longer a factor.

Exel vs Arngrim, the rematch.

Turn 2 17 sept -.39

Axis uses air vs Poland, hence LC gambit possible, but since I was watching the telly at the same time, I’m a bit unsure- don’t even know if the subs raided…

NO DoW Denmark… Hmmm.

Ah well, I’d better do Ireland straight away, It’ll give me experience and bleed Mpp’s from the german anyhow. Polish air moved to france(mine), since it had 5pts left. A free interception/strike on LC.

Med fleet heads for the Atlantic. Entire French fleet sail away, ready to facedown Kriegsmarine this tinme, new tactic, lets see if it pays off…

Turn 3:

Poland is down to two corps and 4th Army prepares to invade Denmark. One of German Panzer Armies met unexpectedly heavy resistance in southern Poland and suffered heavy losses.

Turn4

2 air again used against Poland, subs raid.

Damn! I just realized that moving the F Battleship increases Italian aggression!

New lesson learnt for me, one I will remember for sure. I certainly will _not_ do that when I plan for a long French defense again!

Ok, No Denmark, most of German army in Poland. Let’s do LC!

Ireland only gets the carriers and the BS this time, since I want a nice river-defence ready next turn. And the move works like it was rehearsed. This time I want France to have the plunder, since I´ll be trying to fight aggressively for France this time.

I figure that if I can hurt, divert and blunt the Germans and Italians, the war should be won by the russkis and the US.

[ May 09, 2004, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Arngrim ]

Turn 5:

Allies move through Low Countries, but in anticipation the High Command has placed numerous units to counter such an offensive. USA wont be a threat for quite some time thanks to aggressive Allied strategy. Polish corps around Warsaw are destroyed without further casualties and Poland surrenders. Luftwaffe replaces west and reinforces. Kriegsmarine bombards Copenhagen and 4th Army prepares to invade the city.

Turn 6

Forgot to note the date again, bummer.

Poland annihilated by the fiendish Huns. But on the bright side, the Italians are still not at war.

RN Med are running for their lives. Irish corps destroyed, no more training, but it relieves the carriers to fight in France, or chase subs, who are still not found.

French navy finds KM sub squadron, and sinks half of the wolves.. Bilbao appears, this time the French will fight back!

Bomber relocate to Malta.

Turn 7:

The Allies dispatch a great deal of their ships to Kattegat, but seem to take no effort hunting down Axis subs. Also, with Italian war entry just around the corner I should have no trouble achieving total control of the Med. Western front sees minor skirmishes, while the Wehrmacht prepares to make its thrust through the Low Countries, with the support from an extra airfleet purchased with the Polish plunder MPPs.

Turn 8.

Jan. 7, 1939

Baltic sub flees, but is destroyed by pursuing French. Axis attacks without effect. Southern france blocked by three corps.. Irelad taken. Gneiesenau fleet at 7 str. Italy declares war. 4 units subhunting, nothing found yet…

Turn 9:

French fleets force the Kriegsmarine back to their ports, and naval support for the invasion of Copenhagen is reduced - but Denmark should fall soon nevertheless. A breakthrough is achieved in the Low Countries just as planned, and Allied air forces supposedly take quite a beating in the process as well. Italy enters the war, but the French border is well defended, and no quick breach is expected, but this suits the High Command just fine, as it ties up French troops from being used in the north. Italians start preparing for operations in and around the Med.

Turn 10

The bloody Germans manage to destroy a French army despite river and aircover. B corps plug the gap. Carriers move to French coast. Bomber on Malta damages Fiume to 8. Fierce fleetbattles around Denmark:Sharnhorst at 9, Gneisenau at 6. Montgomery takes command of the british forces.

Turn 11:

French fleets sacrificially throwing themselves into combat with the Kriegsmarine just off of German coast suffer heavy losses. Copenhagen falls but is not yet invaded. Minor fighting in Ardennes to reduce the defenders while main forces reform to continue the thrust with more force on next turn. Italy does only what is necessary to keep French forces tied to the south, while plans for taking North Africa and Middle East take form.

Turn 13:

Allies have built deep defences behind Ardennes with British and Commonwealth expeditionary forces, making rapid advance through north impossible with RAF and RN pounding everything in their reach. Therefore the High Command initiates a new strategy, and panzers and air fleets relocate - covertly, since the French are to think that the main thrust will still take place north of Ardennes - southwards to attack straight through central Maginot, guarded by French corps. In support of this new strategy, Italy takes a more aggressive approach and sends a corps to land behind the French lines in southern France, in hopes of forcing a withdrawal from the Alps allowing the main forces to advance.

The Allies gambled with their fleets in their attempt to wipe Kriegsmarine out of the picture with a push to the Baltic Sea - and lost. Kriegsmarine, though damaged, is still in good fighting shape, and the destruction of one sub fleet cost the Allies three surface ships, including a British battleship. Bad news is that the British found and cornered the sub group lurking in the northern Atlantic.

Denmark surrenders.

• 3 weeks later...

turn 14?

French line is stale mate. Italians land a rogue corps next to Marseilles, I’ll let it run around an d have fun. Gneisenau sunk, Sharnhorst at 5. Airbattles over LC, carriers lightly damaged. Third one on its way. Sub slipped away, hunters are out.

Turn 15:

Verdammt! The Brits found the other sub fleet too. It was camping outside French west coast, and I didn't expect the Brits to scout that sector very soon, especially after finding the other wolfpack in the north. There's not much happening in ground combat, as preparations for the Maginot offensive are still commencing. The feint attack in Ardennes causes moderate casualties to the French. I only hope they will swallow the bait and wont concentrate additional units behind Maginot.

Turn 16 9:th of June 1940

The sub runs into Glouchester, two battleships promptly come to their aid, and it is sunk.

Again heavy airbattles. I throw everything at the germans to allow a carrier to take out Sharnhorst, which it does. The German navy is no more, good news Norway!

The French line holds, but no kills. Damn, I _got_ to resenad a corps to Gibraltar! That’s the lid on the Navy! I can’t believe that I didn’t think of that before!

The loose Italian corps is on a picknick in the French countryside. No problem…

Turn 17:

Allied air offensive delays the start of the Maginot operation, and their combined naval forces whack Kriegsmarine out of fighting condition, as a French battleship deals heavy hits to German cruisers in the Baltic sea and British cruisers make contact with the remaining subs in the central Atlantic. Italy summons Balbo to aid the offense in the south.

Turn 18

Late June.

Germany attack strongly across the entire line, and take the Ardennes hex. France builds up, and hold the line. Germany must bleed mpp’s. Third carrier arrives in the nick of time since GB just got *drumroll* Jet1!

Turn 19:

German navy is finished. But unexpected results are gained in yet another feint attack in the Ardennes, and attention is swiftly moved there from Maginot - and indeed, with Luftwaffe's support a breach is obtained and panzers roll in. It's June 1940, and I have my back against the wall: if I can't break their line for good soon, this threatens to become a stalemate again, and for that I have no more time nor resources. It's all or nothing now.

Turn 20

7 Juli 1940

Axis attack hard and reposition their forces all along the border. No breakthrough.

Italian sneaky corps move towards mine, intercepted by a lone corps from paris, Armor bought to hold the city. Gibraltar now protected by corps. Fighting across maginot, costly airbattles over france. My only hope is that it will be as costly for the germans…

Turn 21:

Not much happening in the front. Germans are trying to break through in the Ardennes, Italians are trying to break throgh in the south. It's June 30th 1940 - I should be in Paris by now.

Turn 23:

Britain gets L1 Jets, and Luftwaffe receives a hammering, but are still able to support the ground offensive, and a Canadian army is destroyed and breakthrough achieved. Italians make slow progress in wearing down the French defenders in south, but meanwhile preparations for Middle East campaign proceed to final stages - execution begins next turn. Malta is heavily bombed by two battleships and a cruiser fleet, and the British strategic bomber is down to 1 strenght. Corps prepare to invade.

Turn 24 August.

Malta is evacuated after heavy bombardment, Italian transport shows up. German army destroyed, new French corps purchased, and the brits just keep up the airpressure. Considering moving the fleet to the med. The Rogue itlaian reached the resource hex, and was destroyed, since it had now become a nuisance.