Map mods?

bharris

Don't get your panties in a bunch, Kuni. I'm not suggesting anything illegal. I own the game, and was looking for a different map for the board. Most developers today encourage modding, and I am assuming Battlefront does too.

Originally posted by bharris:

Don't get your panties in a bunch, Kuni. I'm not suggesting anything illegal. I own the game, and was looking for a different map for the board. Most developers today encourage modding, and I am assuming Battlefront does too.

For 3 and a half years the moderators have locked threads concering this issue, one dude even tried to prolong gametime in the demo. This is something BF is not accepting and I think your excuse is as much worth as Gollum's promise not to kill the hobbits in the lord of the rings. But remember slimey that in the end of part 3 Gollum fell into the fire of mount doom. Let that be a warning to all who are decieved by evil. The good side always prevail.

Stop spreading illegal thoughts, we have a resonsibility towards the children.

@Col. Gen. Guderian & bharris --- Trying to hack games is not recommended. Being bold & blunt doesn't it make it right. Good intentions doesn't mean you're right either. Does the outside of the box say,"Please hack me with new graphics?". I appreciate Kuniworth addressing this issue, you guys should follow his example. "You think I'm funny, am I here to amuse you?" --- Joe Pesci in the classic movie Goodfellas.

Speaking of Goodfellas, think I'll grab a Full Sail Amber brew & pop that legendary flick in, while I chill out after a round of golf.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Does the outside of the box say,"Please hack me with new graphics?"

Hell no. I think we got some potential criminals in the forum...I think this Harris should think twice if he can sleep at night knowing he want to hack Hubert's game. How can you live with the disgrace of trying tto get 12-14 year old to behave as criminals? Are we out to create murders and bank robbers or play the game? What is going on, are you gonna take their place in death row in say 50 years time?

[ April 23, 2005, 07:01 AM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

errrrrr

imo

If you buy a game fair and square, you can do what you want with it 'xept

-altering and/or distributing the game for financial gain or evilness

-Hacking to disrupt other people gaming experience (cheats etc.)

Hubert provided SC-1 with an editor

and has gone to great lenght to make sure about EVERYTHING will be editable in SC-2. Why is that? Modding enhance the game longivity.

I suspect the only reason altering the terrain isn't included in the sc1 editor was that too much script and game AI relied on the current terrain so that altering it was an inpraticable/impossible obstacle for scenatio building

if the guy wants a shot at it for his own use, he's not ruining it for you. If he manage to do it he's won't threaten anybody at gunpoint to install his mod, no? ;)

Originally posted by Korut Zelva:

errrrrr

imo

If you buy a game fair and square, you can do what you want with it 'xept

-altering and/or distributing the game for financial gain or evilness

-Hacking to disrupt other people gaming experience (cheats etc.)

Hubert provided SC-1 with an editor

and has gone to great lenght to make sure about EVERYTHING will be editable in SC-2. Why is that? Modding enhance the game longivity.

I suspect the only reason altering the terrain isn't included in the sc1 editor was that too much script and game AI relied on the current terrain so that altering it was an inpraticable/impossible obstacle for scenatio building

if the guy wants a shot at it for his own use, he's not ruining it for you. If he manage to do it he's won't threaten anybody at gunpoint to install his mod, no? ;)

I think you are missing the point. Gollum tried to HACK the hobitts to pieces but got his head overheated in the flames of mount doom. I think it was Einstein who once wrote "space is only space as long as people does'nt mix with gravity or some shots of rum" same applies here, besides if someone would edit the product this could mean strange world champ games and then Moon would be forced to ban anyone like with Carl Baker who talked about how Ma Baker poked the judge up the ass or spam-king Herr Zebra who got a big truck of Madmatt running him over.

To sum up; Hubert is not in favor of stripping his game of it's panties.

[ April 23, 2005, 06:57 AM: Message edited by: Kuniworth ]

In my opinion, it would be very good that Furysoftwar proposes to players an " add one " for SC1, with an editor of map. Personally, I would be ready to pay second time the price for the game to have this add one: I believe that, with this editor of maps, SC1 would be then THE wargame of century.

SC 1 is the best game I nerver played. But without editor of map, it's really pity !

All the wargamers likes making original scenarios, for example for the war in Pacific or the war of Spain, etc....

PLEASE, Furysoftwar, give us this map editon, it is a question of life or death! :D

Just wanted to pop in to add a few comments wrt this topic.

Officially, editing the graphics, sounds, and/or the campaigns using the editor are perfectly fine and in fact encouranged, BUT, discussions and/or questions related to *hacking* the game code to play in a manner not originally designed or intended is unfortunately unacceptable within these forums. So we ask that you kindly respect this and consider it off topic.

Now, just for some background on this (and of course this does not cover all of the reasons), one of the main strengths of SC, in terms of game play and overall sales, relies on the fact that all players have access to an identical version of SC that plays in a manner in which it was originally intended to play. What this does is create a level playing field for all players and it is hoped that in this way competitive play via PBEM or TCP/IP is fair and relatively free from cheating.

Now, while it would also be nice to be able to *hack* the game to play in a variety of alternate forms, this would in the end be very damaging to current and future sales (wargame sales is a tough enough business as it is) as it would extend gameplay beyond that for which the product was originally priced and intended.

So what can Battlefront and I do to relieve the suffering? ;)

Well, first off we have tried to put out a game that has been reasonably priced (with qualitative value in return) and at the same time listen to what players like, dislike and presumably want.

In the end I think we have listened and the success or failure of SC2 (with its extensive editing capabilites) will be the judge of that. In the meantime we just ask for your continued support and of course patience, thanks!

Kuni,

I think you jumped down this guy's throat a little too quickly, all he was asking is where do the GRAPHIC mods reside for terrain and resource tiles. There are at least two graphic versions that I'm aware of, the original 'grey' and the later 'green-enhanced graphic/dialog box" version. Knowing where they and other similar mod files reside would be more than welcome...and given that HC encourages legitimate modding, it is a shame that Battlefront do not have some official space that stores said files.

I intend very seriously to prosecute in court against Furysoftwar for act of mental cruelty : indeed, to propose screenshoots of a game waited for several months without information about the dangers of the effects of frustration is an act of cruelty.

I think, no ? :D

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Col. Gen. Guderian:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kuniworth:

go and play in the yard and stop this encouragement of illegal activity.

I sincerely hope you're joking. </font>

When I first visited this site, I was frankly amazed at the number of posts, some members had contributed. There insight and enthusiasm, was one of the reasons why I chose to purchase, SC1. But honestly Mr. K. you are really posting crap at the moment. If you have nothing better to do than keep winding up people, just to increase your post count, I suggest you save your junk for the general forum.