"Return of the Allies"

SeaMonkey

Anyone wishing to square off against a really competent Axis AI needs to try this scenario. Its a real nail biter, one of those that you keep telling yourself just one more turn and then I'll quit.

I designed this scenario with all the idiosyncracies of SC's AI in mind, with excellent input from JJ and ideas from stahlwolf. On the intermediate setting, +1 experience, it took me 5 times to finally get "Europe awakens to rebuild the ashes of war" and that was Nov. 13, 1945 with a +197 rating.

This damn thing had me thinking what i could do, when i laid down at night to go to sleep, when I was eating, when I was driving to work, how in the hell was I going to win? Now I know some of you experts out there are saying "yeah sure", this is the SC AI, totally incompetent, okay for you, try the expert setting, +2 experience, and feel like a stepchild.

Yeah, I know, this is SC and its way long in the tooth, but I have to say this scenario made me feel like the days I first started playing, kept shaking my head in frustration "this is totally impossible to win". So if you need something to fill those long cold snowy, rainy, miserable winter days with no surf, try "Return of the Allies", and if you can beat it...like I just did,.. finally, ...then I'll make it tougher. Yeah right!!! your gonna win your first time out...dream on and put your shoulder pads on, come to think of it, strap your kneepads on to, cause your not worthy of this SC AI.

[ February 01, 2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SeaMonkey,

Thanks for sending it, looking forward to giving it a test run. I haven't seen you this enthusiastic about a scenario in ages! smile.gif

Honored to have played a small role in helping to shape the background material. The threads all of that was tossed around in, mainly the two of us and Shaka, were really a delight; some of the best discussions we've had here in a long time. smile.gif

-- I know there were at least two other people in there and I'm sorry about not recalling who they were because there were so many posts, but it was a great thread all around.

-- -- Okay, Michael Dorosh was one of them. :D Hope he posts more to SC2, a lot of his input is excellent. smile.gif

But I did CT, I did beat the AI. It just took me 5 times. Just for that, I'm going to send you an extra special CT version with a little helping of South Texas picante sauce....you know....the kind with the Habenero peppers in it. One way or another, tomorrow, Mr. CT will have a case of the "red" ass.

JJ, I should be thanking you. It was your inspiration and some of the AI hints from "UK Fallen" as well as stahlwolf's idea to create a custom with the AI considered. I had not given it any thought before as I was always wrapped up in H to H games. Once I got started and entered into the testing, the results were even more intriguing as I observed the AI moves with FoW off. It was just a matter of trying every conceivable strategy and then figuring an AI deployment to counter them and giving it the tools to do so. Now I know there is no way I could have tested every single approach to beat the AI, so when some of these expert SC players can figure it out, it will be time for some new modifications and we will all have to put our thinking caps on once again. Already from my win there are a couple of items on the "tweak" list. Hope you enjoy it and perhaps it will help you out with cabin fever during one of those Northeastern winter storms.

[ February 05, 2005, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]

Thanks SeaMonkey, I'm hoping to skip the rest of the Northeast Winter this year. In a couple of days we're going off to a cruise on your very own Gulf and won't be back to February 10th!

I'm looking forward to playing the new scenario first thing on our return. Right now I'm stuck getting things out of the way so I can go on vacation without me having to worry about business for a week. No doubt we'll find a way of hitting an iceberg off the coast of Mexico! :D

There seems to be an SC trend now toward H vs AI scenarios. I don't suppose it will be of much use to ask Hubert to give us V 1.08 that we all know he's been holding as a surprise -- the one where the AI is a genius!

Okay, Hubert, stop throwing things, you'll hurt your code writing arm! :D

hi Curry,

I'm at work currently, but will send you the file tonight when I get home.

Unfortunately for a human Axis player this scenario is a "walk in the park" against the best SC allied player there is, of course unless he is a beginner. Then again there are the optional settings that could perhaps even the playing field. What I'm saying is that it was specifically designed to be a challenge for a veteran Allied SC player against the AI, and that it is or so it seems to me.

Kind of funny so far that no one has jumped back into this thread claiming they have won. Oh well it is still early and I have moved on to stahlwolf's MidEurope Pact until I get further feedback.

If this scenario is popular enough, I will release its "read.me" orientation file and for anyone needing some helpful hints, I will divulge the ambiguous instructions for one of the strategies that allowed me to win without being a spoiler. Of course I'm hoping that many successful strategies will be invented by our veteran corps of players.

Good fun seamonkey.

My first attempt went down to defeat. I was much too aggressive even attempting to take Turkey.

My second time is much better. Playing slower and much less agressive. Good news is I have retaken the UK. But Ireland still holds out and is a pain. Will have to spend time and MPP's to retake it. Also good news in North Africa as I have taken Tobruk. But its June of 1943 and may run out of time. Russia holds Leningrad - Moscow down to Karkov and the southern river line. Holding ok in Russia but not yet ready for the offensive.

Like I said, lots of funa and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys SC.

[ February 04, 2005, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Curry ]

Hella Fella,

I finally had time to test it and I, too made it in 1945, but I played in girls mode (beginner) and its a nicely designed mod. I like it and will try "men mode" and later "hero mode".

Many nice ideas and good variety to the usual SC scenarios.

Could not find any ideas by me though..:)

Keep on our excellent work...i am waiting for the next..:)

On its way, guys.

Anyone interested in the prologue to this campaign?

Remember the thread that incited this campaign was posted in the SC2 forum(Canadian MPP, 2nd page), that should give you some orientation of the "what if" world situation it originates in.

[ February 05, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: SeaMonkey ]