OT: NetZero, anyone use it?

I'm going to drop my ISP in the very near future, because for $21 a month, I don't get alot out of it.

I'm seriously considering getting NetZero, and saving some cash.

Besides the BANNERS, are there any problems with it? Any Limits to E-Mail attachments and such?

Anyone?

I've never used it, but I think that chick in their commercials is HOT wink.gif

Except for that funny hat she wears.

------------------

What a bunch of horsecrap. -Steve

[This message has been edited by Vanir (edited 03-06-2001).]

I used to use Juno and the ad banner was a major problem when I tried to play TC/ICP it would pop up anytime I moved the mouse pointer anywhere near the top of the screen. Also keep in mind that freeware providers reserve the right to boot you offline any time they feel their server is too loaded down,which can be very annoying when you're in the middle of a good game.

------------------

Nicht Schiessen!!

We have a Netzero account (and a Juno account) at home. Both providers are beginning to closely monitor time online, time-of-day accessibility, bandwidth used, etc., and users who are 'excessive' are forced to use a paid ISP (JunoWeb, for example, for Juno customers...$9.95 US a month or so).

My guess is that just as some of the other free ISP's have closed shop, this is probably the beginning of the end for Netzero and Juno.

However, to answer the original question: We have been quite pleased with the Netzero account. There seem to be fewer dropped connections than with the other free ISP's.

Roadrunner Highspeed Cable Online baby! Nothing beats the always-connected, SUPER-fast downloads and web-sites that pop up the INSTANT you click on them. I have roadrunner to thank for 300 MB worth of mods!

I can afford the $40 bucks a month for the ease of use and lack of stress. Computers are my hobby and I want the BEST. (At least that's how I rationalize it to my wife! smile.gif )

------------------

And King Xerxes looked to King Leonidas and spoke. "Our Archers will rain arrows down upon you to blot out the sun."

And King Leonidas replied: "Then we will fight in the shade."

I use netzero part-time.

For me, it has worked as well as, or better than, the pay dial-up account I had before. I'ves had few spontanious disconnects or busy signals on login but of course, it will depend on sevice in your area.

You only get 40 hours a month free so TCP/IP is impossible unless you've got room on the battlefield for a big old banner ad. With a 17"+ monitor you might be able to overlook it but the time limit is still going to hold you back.

I've used it for PBEM and had no probs with attachments at a half meg.

Also, every 15+/- minutes, a pop-up message reminds you that:

"you can click on a banner ad to visit that site!" smile.gif

5 minutes later a second window pops up.

"Press button in 30 seconds or you will be disconnected."

So, like watching sports on TV be ready to time your breaks.

Unless, you prefer high-speed it defintely beats paying for dial-up.

Juno is an alternative but I find the most annoying factor in it is that it's banner ad is set to start every newly openned window's blue task bar directly under the ad. Thus, you are forced to constantly move the banner around. A wee bit o' a boder.

Hope this helps.

Guest Rommel22

I tried Netzero in the past and it is TERRIBLE!!! I use to play PG2 online just like CM now. And the banner would apear now and than and when I accidently clicked on the banner the game crashed. Also I got dropped every 30 min, It was the worst ISP I used, EVER!

Plus it aint all that free! The calls you make to dial up are charged to your phone bill. I know it's local but after a while the bill builds up.

I don't recommend it, AT ALL!!!

------------------

Rommel22s Kampfgruppe site:

http://rommel22diarys.homestead.com/MyPage1.html

"I saw 5 Germans walking down the side of the road, so I followed them for a few yard to get closer. Then I shot them! Later that day I found out the war has been over for a few weeks." - someone

I don't know where you live, but $21???

If your in any decent sized metro area, you should be able to shop around and find a good ISP for $10-$15.

If your only choice though is $21 or free, then is you don't do any real online gaming, then go for free.

I'm not sure what you mean Rommel when you say your getting charged for a local call. Where are you at where that happens. I know here in Houston, unless your on a very cheap metered type service, pretty much all calls within the same local area codes are free. There are a few exceptions, but in those areas, you have to dial a 1 before the call, so you know if it's getting charged.

Don't do it. I tried to use it and i found the service very intrusive and the connection very unreliable. Very frustrating to be downloading .5M files only to be summarily kicked off the server.

Yikes!

A Lot of differing opinions here...

I do very much hate paying $21 (nearly $22 really) a month for my ISP (AT&T).

I guess I'll shop around for a cheaper service, before switching to NetZero.

Thanks for the advice people!