Fun Fact: there are times when a hornet's opinion disturbs us more than an emperor's.

Mark Twain.

IMPACT OF THE HUMAN DIMENSION ON A THREE-MAN-CREW TANK

The Soviets arguably produced one of the best tanks available before and during World War 11, the 5-man-crew T-34. Subsequent improved Soviet tank models were evolved from @ basic design. Their analysis tbLat 90% of the hits made on a tank occurred above a meter from the ground resulted in a prime design imperative to lower the frontal profile of the tank.

(Garbage characters intentionally uncorrected.)

I wouldn't call this a 'fact' but it makes a fun story: the space inside the initial T-34's was so cramped that the Soviets gave preference to smaller people to crew the tanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jasper:

I wouldn't call this a 'fact' but it makes a fun story: the space inside the initial T-34's was so cramped that the Soviets gave preference to smaller people to crew the tanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...including quite a few women.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Mark Twain.

I wouldn't call this a 'fact' but it makes a fun story: the space inside the initial T-34's was so cramped that the Soviets gave preference to smaller people to crew the tanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did the Germans: Michael Wittman was practicaly a midget...

Henri

Isn't this still true with the T-72, that average sized people are usually too big for the tank?

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Speaking of this, anybody see the movie The Beast, about a Soviet tank that got lost in Afghanistan?

How'd they cram FIVE guys in that tank?

DjB

ps I know it was fiction. At first view of the movie I thought "why are they so off base? They should have only 3 men." But then realized that the personal drama needed 5 characters for the movie to work.

[This message has been edited by Doug Beman (edited 01-11-2001).]

... the best tanks available before and during World War 11, ---

Their analysis tbLat 90% of the hits made on a tank occurred above a meter from the ground resulted in a prime design imperative to lower the frontal profile of the tank.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>World War Eleven!?!

I must have slept through most of my history classes... wink.gif

About the analysis; this is the reason the S-tank was made with such a low profile. And the suggested 2-man crew was scrapped because the tankers didn't want it. (Something about each crew members burdon with maintenance, not a need for combat.)

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Srategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Michael Wittman was practicaly a midget...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah but he was large in stature. smile.gif

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

Hi,

Indeed the Russian tanks are build for the smaller portion of the population.

When the Swedish army bought a number of T-72s they had a hard time finding tank crew to evaluate them. T-72s cramped space require a 1.65m man, while the S-tank is fair for a 1.80m crew although not spacious.

The S-tank can easily been used with a 1-man crew, and fully combat operational with a 2-man crew, however the non-combat duties is not fun even with a 3-man crew. A platoon of 10-12 man is not optimal when maintaining defense structure around the camp as well as doing maintenance on the tank. It was fun but tiring!

Cheers Jonas