Why no 'Hunt' order for infantery?

The manual says about the 'Hunt' order:

Move at medium speed, stop when enemy target spotted and engage enemy until destroyed or out of sight.

That sound to me like something that can be done by infantery, too. Very interessting for AT-teams. I'm sure that has been discussed already hundret times, but...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Old Crow:

You wouldn't want your squad stopping to cook up a mess of rabbits, would ya?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's a rabbit with a gun...

But that don't answer my question

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scipio:

The manual says about the 'Hunt' order:

Move at medium speed, stop when enemy target spotted and engage enemy until destroyed or out of sight.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's pretty much what the "move" command already does for infantry.

Because hunt is a vehicle w/gun command not an infantry command? Hunt replaces the sneak and crawl command that infantry have, but for vehicles basically.

The infantry have

move

run

crawl

sneak

All except crawl and run they will fire at enemies, sometimes even run when they slow down and start firing at uncovered enemies.

Hunt would seem somewhat redundant.

~Tiger

They do? Then I want to know why that damned AT-team don't stop and fire on the tank that was moving in 25 m away right in their LOS. Intead they run closer and get killed by the tanks machinegun... Before someone ask : YES, they realy could see the tank, and NO, they was NOT out of ammo.

AT teams are not the same as infantry weapons. It has a much slower rate of fire compared to rifles, smgs, etc. They can not fire on the move (i.e. from the hip) so you have to really plan their movements carefully. A hunt command would not help here either, as AT weapons are not generally fired "from the hip" as you move. Try moving your AT teams under cover and in smaller increments instead of like infantry.

~Tiger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

AT teams are not the same as infantry weapons. It has a much slower rate of fire compared to rifles, smgs, etc. They can not fire on the move (i.e. from the hip) so you have to really plan their movements carefully. A hunt command would not help here either, as AT weapons are not generally fired "from the hip" as you move. Try moving your AT teams under cover and in smaller increments instead of like infantry.

~Tiger <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, 10-15 seconds are enough time, but thats a relativ question.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Banshee:

I hate the fact that there isnt a command for "move forward and when you see the enemy stop and fire" (i.e. hunt). The closest that comes to this is Sneak but they only stop when fired upon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the closest command is MOVE. It's most certainly not the sneak command. Sneak means do everything you can not to be seen and fire only if fired upon.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Phoenix:

Actually the closest command is MOVE. It's most certainly not the sneak command. Sneak means do everything you can not to be seen and fire only if fired upon.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess it's just a matter of what you think is more important, the stopping of movement or the firing. Sneak gives you one, Move gives you the other.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iggi:

Another command that I would like is ...move forward and if you spot anything, stop, do not shoot unless fired upon. This would be good for recon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This could be accomplished *if* a infantry "hunt" was added by just adding a HIDE command at the end of the HUNT.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

Guest Michael emrys

What I've done, and it's worked so far with me, is to stop my troops about 10-20 meters inside the tree line with a hide order. Then in the next orders phase, if no-one has opened fire on them I unhide them and either use them to provide overwatch for other squads, or advance them further. The same basic idea works in urban areas, or if over open ground in folds and depressions that provide some cover from direct fire.

Michael

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Michael emrys (edited 01-17-2001).]