Need map of Wouwsche/Wouwse Plantage (NL)

Try this link De Woonomgeving

Unfortunately, comments are in Dutch:

In order to locate 'Wouwse Plantage'. I suggest you start by clicking "Provinciaal Niveau" and move map southwards with the arrows until the center is somewhere between Bergen-op-Zoom and Roosendaal. (near Belgian Border, North of Antwerp)

Select "straat niveau" and try to Locate Woensdrecht (military airfield). Wouwse Plantage is a couple of clicks to the east.

Once you found the location, you can zoom in until a topograhic map unfolds. You can choose present representation or a map of ...1832 Good luck.

I know the area quite well, It's basically flat, but some sand dunes remain from the times, the sea was much more further inland. Lot's of forest patches with tall conifers alternated with heather and moors.

Good Luck

Yet another great resource - thanks.

Now another question: was the Plantage used for logging of timber back then (I assume so based on it being called a Pine Plantation, which implies harvesting), or was it just a nature reserve? If it was used for logging, did they clearcut, or just do selective cuts, leaving most of the stand intact. I'd like to know what sort of logging zones to include on the map ("mix of olive grove & rocky = clearcut" vs "scattered trees = selective cutting).

[Calling all Dutch logging grogs! :D ]

The Wouwse "Plantation" was actually created by a Belgian "Baron" who made fortune in the Congo during the 19th. century..

He built a little "castle" and soon other people started to settle nearby. (sawmill, forge, bakery, laundry etc..)

A description of the area you can find here:

Wouwse Plantage

Het bos is opgebouwd uit relatief kleine bospercelen met verschillende bostypen. Deze bostypen worden afgewisseld door tussengelegen landbouwgronden. Enkele oude lanen doorsnijden het gehele terrein. Bij elkaar leidt dit tot een aantrekkelijk en afwisselend bosbeeld.

The forest consists of relative small parcels of different types of woods. The bounderies between the different type of woods are made by acres destined to agriculture. A few old avenues cross the domain. All this puts together an attractive and diverse environment
I found also an interesting detailed map of the area here: map of Wouwse Plantage

Please note the "woeste gedeelte" on the map. This so called "wild area" contains sand dunes of up to 20 meters high (see Bergvlietse Duinen) and some moors. The area is now turned into a golf course which has claimed a large stock of golf balls with my name on it... :rolleyes: