Why can't I equip my Ami's with this?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CMplayer:

Okay since you seem to have all the answers can you explain this to me?

Why does a mirror reverse right/left but not up/down.

[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

A mirror makes a reverse appearance only for objects that are in the plane that is defined by the position of your eyes, the observed objects and the point of the mirror you are looking at.

I'm not sure whether German Flak optics share this severe limitation, probably we find people who say they don't :)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

A mirror makes a reverse appearance only for objects that are in the plane that is defined by the position of your eyes, the observed objects and the point of the mirror you are looking at.

<hr></blockquote>

Those three points are in a straight line, so they don't define a plane.

Those three points are in a straight line, so they don't define a plane.<hr></blockquote>

Excuse me?

<pre>

mirror

/ \

/ \

me \

\

car_behind_me

</pre>

You need a lot of high-level physics of folded space etc. to claim that this is a straight line :)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redwolf:

Excuse me?

<pre>

mirror

/ \

/ \

me \

\

car_behind_me

</pre>

You need a lot of high-level physics of folded space etc. to claim that this is a straight line :)<hr></blockquote>

I stand corrected. I was thinking of your eye, the point of the mirror, and where the object _appears_ to be. Still, your explanation doesn't explain much to me. I'm probably too stupid. The challenge is to explain it so even I'll understand.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

You got it. I've seen this picture before, or another one off the same roll of film, with an explanatory caption.

Michael<hr></blockquote>

Yep, I got it from here. Here's the caption "This Tiger II from the 2.Kompanie/schwere Panzer Abteilung 506 was captured by American troops and restored to running condition by Company B, 129th Ordnance Battalion by 15 December 1944." In regards to actual use of captured Big Cats, here is one pic from Achtung Panzer!.

cuckoo_1.jpg

This vehicle was operated by 4th Battalion 6th Coldstream Guards Tank Brigade. The section of Achtung Panzer! on the Panther contains some info on Russian use as well.e10_2.jpg

[Edited because I can't get the right picture.]

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]

[Edited again because I keep getting dumber.]

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: panzerwerfer42 ]</p>

Cornelius Ryan wrote a book about the last days of Berlin(forgot the name)

In it he said there was a unit which used captured vehicles and he claimed they had several Tigers

Thought it was Pattons famous division 4th?? armoured,hell on wheels?

Maybe this picture is from that division

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

The reason for the star to be "upside down", is for when another tank driver looks into its mirrors sees it "upside up" :D

<hr></blockquote>

Why does a mirror reverse right/left but not up/down.

<hr></blockquote>

I confess, I never use the mirrors ! :cool:

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stoffel:

Cornelius Ryan wrote a book about the last days of Berlin(forgot the name)

In it he said there was a unit which used captured vehicles and he claimed they had several Tigers

Thought it was Pattons famous division 4th?? armoured,hell on wheels?

Maybe this picture is from that division<hr></blockquote>

The Russians outfitted a couple Guard companies entirely with Panthers. Perhaps a few made it to Berlin. In regards to the KT, I think it was used for study on it's capabilities. I don't think it was ever used in combat.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Lord General MB:

Soldiers,

You punks dont know anything!

Its a Tiger II dressed up by some Germans to look like a Russain heavy tank. "Duh" :rolleyes: <hr></blockquote>

Those damned Russains! (That was Saddam's grandfather and great uncle, yes?)

Ryan's book, btw, was The Last Battle.

Why does a mirror reverse right/left but not up/down.<hr></blockquote>

Because you normally rotate on your vertical axis in order to look into the mirror. It is possible, however, to rotate on your horizontal axis instead so that up and down will indeed be reversed.

Michael

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Bump out of respect for JasonC's birthday. Your education is our gift to you, my brother.<hr></blockquote>

Good spirit, Michael. (I hope that Jason drops in to read.) Jason, you may post on this BB like the "forum encyclopedia"; and per the earlier Firefly discussion, an encyclopedia with potential "errata." But....you're our encyclopedia!! :D

Make sure to treat yourself today. smile.gif

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Offwhite:

I thought they did, in the southern hemisphere anyway... maybe argie or one of our Aussie friends can tell us for sure.<hr></blockquote>

The only noticeable change in how things works in phisics between both hemispheres is realted to the Coriolis effect: water flushs, tornados, etc, spins in the opposite direction than in the North.

Ah! Also, we grow because the weight of the head stretches our bodies ;)