mac users help...

I've been playing CM since July and have been installing mods since the MACMOD manager was released. I've just started getting a problem with my graphics. During gameplay or gamesetup or map editor my graphics go schizo and change their appearance. I've read a thread were maybe it was because the resource file was all used up. I've recently done a clean install with the game and installed one mod (DD's hi-res grass) and now the problem comes up pretty quickly. My computer exchanges grass graphics with flag graphics etc..

Could it be a ATI problem?

Like I said this problem just started happening lately and its been getting worse.

Imac DV SE 256mb ATI rage 128

I'm losing my mind trying to fix this. I might just trash anything ATI and re-install.

Have you upgraded anything else about your system, such as the OS or hardware ? What's the memory partition allocated to CM ?

I'm not sure which resource file has the grass in it, but you may want to replace that resource file and try AFV mods, building mods, etc. (but avoid the hi-res grass mods for now) and see if your problem happens again. You may also want to run Disk First Aid or whatever disk diagnostic you have just to be sure there isn't any corruption occuring with your file system.

[ 04-11-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I would revert back to the original setup to start with. As was stated above I would stay away from hi res grass, and go with lo res vehicles given the small amount of vram an iMac has.

I have also noticed that I get similar problems after my Mac has been asleep and woken up. I suspect something gets a trifle scrambled in the process of going to sleep and then returning the memory state to running again.

I've got the same problem Hoopenfaust. CM on acid! It's not your machine, it's the high res grass and sky graphics. I'm running a G4 450 with 199 megs ram and I had the same problem. My solution was to get rid of the offending graphics file. You'll notice that when the MACMOD manager writes the file to your Data Folder it will make a copy of the old file and rename it, just find the duplicate files, rename them and trash the newer files. You're back to where you were. Hope that helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kmead:

I have also noticed that I get similar problems after my Mac has been asleep and woken up. I suspect something gets a trifle scrambled in the process of going to sleep and then returning the memory state to running again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting you should mention that. For while now I've been noticing that if I put my Mac to sleep and wake it up several times over the course of the day it is prone to freeze up or crash. Quitting all open applications and doing a restart once in a while seems to help prevent the problem.

Michael

Yeah I had the same thing...the graphic resource file that contains all the grasses gets corrupted very easily, especially with DD's hires grass. if you open that file in ResEdit you will see some of the PICT IDs are missing, and maybe some are empty. This is the corruption. It results in other textures being used for the missing grass ones (like the side of a tank) and makes CM look like the end of 2001 A Space Odyssey.

The way I fixed it was to use ResEdit to delete ALL the resources in that graphics file, then open DD's grass BMPs in an image editor one by one and copy and paste them into new PICT resources named correctly.

Make sure you get every resource in the series (I forget,...something like 1500-1519 lo-res and 1550-1569 hi-res).

Put each of DD's pics in BOTH the hi and lo res resources. (ie. his file 1500.BMP gets put in a new resource called 1500 and 1550). Then re-save that graphics file. Make sense?

After a hell of a lot of messing around I found this was the only way to get DD's grasses to work on my SE imac.

Good luck