Question about Tiger!

It means more than a hundred mm. :D

Probably values of more than 100 make no difference in the way armor thickness is modeled, or some such.

I'm sure a person of great, in-depth knowledge in these matters will be along shortly to explain the exact how and what.

As a very much lesser god, I take it to mean : "no point banging your head against a brick wall".

Like Oddball said : the only way to kill a Tiger is to shoot it in the ass.

The mantlet - the piece of metal covering where the barrel enters the turret - is thicker than the front of the turret itself. The thickness of the armor a hit on the front of a Tiger I will encounter, will vary with the exact location of the hit. There will always be at least 100mm of armor, but there can be more if you hit the wrong spot - that is what the "+" means.

Some months ago Tigers in CM had just 100 mm turret armor... Then there was a loooooooong thread discussing that, with lots of photographs, plans, sketches, drawings, jokes, references to penetration tests, etc... which convinced Him (Charles ... ;) ) to change this in the "next patch" - must have been circa 1.07 :confused:

Main thing to know was that a Tiger sported 100mm armor AND 80-100 mm mantlet covering a good part of the turret front

So since then BTS incorporated a "variable armor" effect to the Tiger to simulate the mantlet's armor. "100+" means "100 to 200 mm" in fact, but I don't know the exact algorithm.

Search doesn't give anything to me, so I can't find the thread, but undoubtly others will do that ;)

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

Like Oddball said : the only way to kill a Tiger is to shoot it in the ass.<hr></blockquote>

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

I recently saw a King Tiger popped by a 57mm AT gun from the front at a range of about 130m.

Bad hair day for the KT.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrSpkr:

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

I recently saw a King Tiger popped by a 57mm AT gun from the front at a range of about 130m.

Bad hair day for the KT.<hr></blockquote>

You want bad hair day? Recently saw a Tiger get taken from the front by a Stuart. I think the Stuart commander then went into shock as it was another few moments before I heard the cheering ;) . Granted, it wasn't a KT but it WAS a Stuart that did it. Curse the weak points (not really, after all it was my Stuart).

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

Like Oddball said : the only way to kill a Tiger is to shoot it in the ass.<hr></blockquote>

You know, I have recently been struck by the pure genius of Oddballs approach to tank fighting. The paint round was the right answer for Sherman/Tiger combat.

If you hit the Tiger with a paint round, you could cover the vision blocks and blind it. If you blind it, you can do what ever you want with it. If the crew gets out to whipe the paint off ... bingo.

Wow

:D

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: Rifle1860 ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Cameroon:

... Recently saw a Tiger get taken from the front by a Stuart. I think the Stuart commander then went into shock as it was another few moments before I heard the cheering ;) ...<hr></blockquote>

Maybe the Stuart shot went straight down the barrel. hehe... Improbable yes, impossible no. Can you imagine being inside when the breech explodes?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gen-x87H:

I have lost at least 3 Panther Gs to Daimler ACs from frontal shots.

<hr></blockquote>

The shot trap raises the probability of weap spot penetration, which is originally 1%. Steve once said it is raised to 10%, from my testing it might be more like 5%, or 10% of turret hits or so.

In any case, it is substancial. Don't go against opponents with high rate of fire in tanks with shot traps. Veteran tanks might help as well, since they don't tend to abadon on penetration that easily.