Scenario Selection Suggestion for CMBB CD

As I played through the scenarios provided on the CMBO CD, I remarked on something. While the scenarios were nice, I had no roadmap to suggest how I should play through them. They are arranged alphabetically, which basically means at random for purposes of what's inside of them. I would scan through the list, opening something that would peak my interest, and then decide whether or not to play it.

Something I would suggest for CMBB would be to arrange the scenarios in a more logical order. Why would it help if they could be ordered differently? First, it might be nice for certain types of scenarios to be grouped. Large Attacks here, small meeting engagements there. More general battles here, "trick" battles there.

Second, grouped by date you could more intuitively go through the battles. In essense, PLAY A CAMPAIGN. Not by some complicated (from a design standpoint) method of keeping the same troops and watching them progress, but rather by playing a series of scenarios that bring you through the entire war. Having scenarios arranged by date would help facilitate this.

Even without a different sort criteria, I believe BTS should provide a roadmap of scenarios to go through in the Manual. ie. "For those player who wish a historical tour, play these scenarios in order..." With creative naming, they could even have them arranged properly in the scenario list.

eg. Include the following scenarios...

1)Warsaw

2)Opening of Barbarosa

3)Push to Moscow

14-25)Several Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad

the long retreat

30)Berlin

Provide 20 or 30 of the right scenarios, tell the player the order in which they should be played (maybe as simple as numbering them like above) and do their best to provide connectiviety between battles through the scenario descriptions.

If done correctly, this would even serve to help educate someone new to WWII in how the overall flow of the East Front. Set it up like a teaching tool. Heck, I'ld be happy to help out (Shameless attempt to become a beta-tester). :D;);)

I agree absolutely. Battles should be sorted chronologically, so if you play them in order you could almost feel like playing campaign (or whole war). If they are sorted alphabetically, it's kinda strange to play 3rd battle "Berlin - last stand" and 28th battle is "Stalingrad: city of heroes". I hope BTS will consider this.

I would love to see the option to arrange the scenarios in a number of different ways. To be able to sort them instantly into different groups such as, Size, Date, Forces, etc would be very nice.

As it stands most of us have 100's of scenarios and to have them all in your sceanrio folder is inpractical. I keep another few folders in mt CMBO directory to sort out my scenarios.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kipanderson:

Hi,

Grouping them by date and type would be a good idea, in my view.

All the best,

Kip.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You could of course have suggested a system like we have at Der Kessel (shameless attempt to get Grego and Berli some more work)

;)

When I received the game, the first thing I did (after reading the manual) was make a table of all the scenarios and operations and their corresponding dates, and then sorted them by date.

I am now playing through all the scenarios and operations in historical order as the Allies, unless the briefing suggests the scenario is best played from the Axis side first, in which case I have skipped it for now.

That does mean that the very first game you play is "Ham and Jam", that very exciting night missions!

As the earlier (summer) scenarios use Magua's beautiful Normandy scenary, I am not really looking forward to the winter settings...

I keep track of my playing record in the same table; so far all wins. smile.gif I have just started the Stolberg operation (September 17? 1944), so many more games to go. Someday when I have more time I'd like to try some PBEM too.

If there is interest I can email or post the table (or at least the scenario/date part of it.) I can't do so right now as I am, well, not at home. ;)

I like the idea. It would feel like you are playing a campaign because as in real life commanders (for the most part) did not stay with exactly the same command and unit throughout the war. Example that comes to mind for me is Rommel. From (I believe) commanding just a division, to bigger things like Afrika Corps and then Fortress Europe in France. If any of this info I have listed is wrong please correct me!!! smile.gif There is nothing wrong with getting a correct answer.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lars:

For a quick fix you could just rename the scenario files.

040844(scenario name)

220845(scenario name)

European dates will work best, I think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea, but I think it works better with yy/mm/dd