Guys do MODS make a big difference?

IDF

They certainly do and there are tons of great mods out there from trees to Tanks,grass,uniforms small arms,sky,sounds of all sorts.Even the game interface has mods.There are some good threads on Essential Mods,do a search for them and they should give you some good suggestions.Personally I check this board on at least a daily basis mainly to check for new mods.Try it, I can (almost)gaurantee you will like it.

The mod makers have made it an entirely new game. If you have the card to run them, can use FSAA, and load all of the mods in it is stunning compared to the original graphics.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

I've installed nearly all existing mods, and even if the game is great even without, I recommend heartily some of them, that really add to the game appeal :

- Buildings, the standard ones are not very good, and unhistorical;

-HiRes vehicles : some of them (by F Carrera Buil, MadDog, ...) are very very good, and when you play "close" to the troops the HiRes makes a big difference.

-Winterized vehicles, that go better with snowy grounds

- And I personally like GRIDDED HiRes Grass, it helps distinguishing terrain heights, and "toned down" graphics

To see for yourself, have a look at the CM Outpost (ex -Kump's), it has lot of comparative pics :

http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/

As for sounds, I installed mods but cannot be so affirmative, they always sounded right...

I've installed nearly all existing mods, and even if the game is great even without, I recommend heartily some of them, that really add to the game appeal :

- Buildings, the standard ones are not very good, and unhistorical;

-HiRes vehicles : some of them (by F Carrera Buil, MadDog, ...) are very very good, and when you play "close" to the troops the HiRes makes a big difference.

-Winterized vehicles, that go better with snowy grounds

- And I personally like GRIDDED HiRes Grass, it helps distinguishing terrain heights, and "toned down" graphics

To see for yourself, have a look at the CM Outpost (ex -Kump's), it has lot of comparative pics :

http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/

As for sounds, I installed mods but cannot be so affirmative, they always sounded right...

They certainly do.

If I were to prioritise, I would get

- a subdued terrain mod (DD's is very nice)

- a building mod (Magua's or Panzertruppen)

- an interface mod (I prefer my own smile.gif)

and follow up with as many vehicles, uniforms, guns etc. as possible. There are a lot of these.

The default terrain is too bright, and the buildings not too interesting. The standard interface is close to being unplayable for me now.

Originally posted by IDF:

I mean I havn't touched any yet but I plan to. But I think the sounds and graphics are great as is !!! Do Mods make it much better?

Concerning sound MOD's is there such a difference?

As I recall, the much of the Madd Matt mod packs were actually supposed to be in the orig. vers. of the game. See the readme file which incls. the following text:

"Dan 'Kwazydog' Olding: Beta Tester and the man MOST responsible for the textures in the Final Game. Much of the MDMP was stuff he meant to have included in the game but because of time and space on the CD they didn't make it in. All the graphics in the MDMP except the Winter Hetzer are Dan's!"

If you have nice speakers, I highly recommend that you also get the sounds.

Stefan

I have gone through a trial and tribulation of sorts, with mods. At first, I dowloaded as many as I could, or the ones I liked. But after time, I realized my mod situation was way over my head and a complete mess! smile.gif

So I decided to dump every mod and start a new. That decesion was a good one, because now I have a set of mods that make my CM really shine. Thats what I like about mods really. You can enhance the look and feel of your CM, but you can also pick and choose, so that you can give it a certain look and feel. For instance, aka Tiger, who makes absolutley the most beautiful mods around, has a collection of battered and mudded vehicle, tank mods. This is great because it gives CM that war torn look and feel to it, unlike the original CM bmps. Then to add to the war torn look I add aka panzertruppen's buldings which are incedibley detailed and have a beat up war like look to them, to enhance my war torn theme for my CM. So, you probably get the idea of how I go about modding. I try to keep it similar in theme, so that it gives me that war torn feel.

Well, good luck and happy modding. I hope this helps.

Also, I have found sound mods to be WONDERUS! I have just recently been experimenting with them and I find them great! For instance: The panzer elite mod that comes from the CMHQ site contains a sound mod of an HMG42 german MG. With this mod, I am able to hear much more vividly the MG sound, and I am able to remember it and identify it with ease in the game. Its amazing really. I love it!

Well, happy modding.

They can most certainly make a difference.

Depending on your hardware (primarily the graphics card):

You can have several hi-res mods that look pretty, but might slow down the game if your VRAM isn't up to it.

Or, if you're on the low end of hardware, use even lower res/colour mods to speed up the game.

Cheers

Olle

------------------

Strategy is the art of avoiding a fair fight...

Detta har kånntrollerats av Majkråsofft späll-tjäcker.

Until yesterday I'd not downloaded any mods. I'd been happy with things as they were. Finally deciding to give it a go I decided to re-work the terrain and see how things went. WOW! A real eye opener. Why I never did this earlier I'll never know. I had to lie down with a cold compress! The game has gone to a new level of visual satisfaction. I think CMHQ has a good selection plus a guide of what to do which is important if you're just getting into the scene. My tip would be to download what takes your fancy but then to only install gradually. Take the time to check periodically what difference it has made, and more importantly, if you like it. Better to know which .bmp files you've just changed than go mad change the lot and then have a devilish job changing them back if they're not to your taste. Enjoy!

Originally posted by IDF:

Do Mods make it much better?

Simple answer: Do bears **** in the woods?

Complex answer: If you want the most realistic looking terrain and vehicles, then yes they do. The stock graphics really kinda suck compared to what's out there now.