Can someone explain "the rule of 76's"

Originally posted by ThomasZ:

I've seen it mentioned in several AAR's and I suspect it limited american and german armor purchases but I'm not clear what the rule is. Can someone clue me in?

Ooh! Ooh! Me me!

Go to http://www.Rugged-Defense.nl/cm/Fionn3.htm, among other places.

------------------

Swede

Rommell, you magnificant bastard! I read your book!

-- GCS as GSP

In general its a set of rules for insecure candy-asses who have nightmares about being shredded by an 88mm or 90mm.

Only jeeps, trucks, and pistols are allowed.

------------------

As I walk through the Valley of Death, I will fear nothing, for I am the meanest mother*#*#** in the valley. (George S. Patton)

Thanks for all the feedback..

out of curiosity, can't they prevent these kinds of fights by raising the costs of the uber tanks. Sure I love them as much as the next guy but given the choise of 6 stuarts and say 2 panthers in open ground I'll take the stuarts.

Guest Andrew Hedges

Originally posted by ThomasZ:

Thanks for all the feedback..

out of curiosity, can't they prevent these kinds of fights by raising the costs of the uber tanks. Sure I love them as much as the next guy but given the choise of 6 stuarts and say 2 panthers in open ground I'll take the stuarts.

But if they raised the cost of the uebertanks, they would be unrealistically expensive. And the point of the Fionn's rules is not to prevent certain kinds of battles, or to (as some people have suggested in other threads) balance the game; the point of the rule is to permit people to fairly fight battles without uebertanks.

That is, if Fionn's rules are not in effect, a lot of players feel like they need to buy the ueberste Tanks because they're afraid that their opponent will do the same thing on his side. So the US player buys a Jumbo because he's afraid the Ger player will purchase a KT. The German player might not have originally wanted to buy a KT, but now feels that he must, in case the US player bought a Jumbo. So a bunch of games devolved into KT vs. Jumbo slugfests, which is not exactly characteristic of much of the fighting.