COMBAT MISSIONS: Situation Report

As you some of you may have noticed, COMBAT MISSIONS has been inaccessible over the past 24 hours. I have spoken to the server hosts and they have informed me they can't handle the amount of bandwidth the site is generating, specifically the high number of simultaneous users downloading files at anyone time. In fact, they told me that the site had crashed their server twice within a couple of hours over the last weekend. Because of this they decided to take the site offline.

Nice of them to warn me and all this is despite of the fact that i paid them a large amount of money last week to have the site hosted on a high-bandwidth server!.

So, where does that the leave the site - HOMELESS!. Guess i will just have to find another host and i have no idea how much time that will take to accomplish.

I will be back!.

ps - In the short term i may go back to www.combatmissions.co.uk , although due to lack of diskspace on that site, i would have to serve just a selection of the total mods available.

Manx.

[This message has been edited by Manx_CM (edited 03-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Manx_CM (edited 03-05-2001).]

Guest barrold713

Wow...Kudos Steve. That is a truly magnanimous and generous offer. I hope Manx is able to keep up his site with your assistance as it is a good source.

BDH

------------------

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

- Ben Franklin

Mike...thanks for the offer. I appreciate it!.

The problem isn't with diskspace - it's solely a bandwidth issue. I knew beforehand, but was informed by the server host, that NO web hosting company operates an unlimited bandwidth policy, even though they may quote this in their sales pitch. Basically every server has it's limits and even hosts that offer this will just pull the plug out if you compromise their service.

I can't afford to pay huge amounts of money for massive dedicated servers that do allow for unlimited bandwidth and hugh numbers of concurrent user logins and downloads.

I don't know how Madmatt copes at CMHQ, but maybe the only alternative is not to host mods!.

Thanks again Mike!

Manx

Originally posted by Manx_CM:

Mike...thanks for the offer. I appreciate it!.

The problem isn't with diskspace - it's solely a bandwidth issue. I knew beforehand, but was informed by the server host, that NO web hosting company operates an unlimited bandwidth policy, even though they may quote this in their sales pitch. Basically every server has it's limits and even hosts that offer this will just pull the plug out if you compromise their service.

I can't afford to pay huge amounts of money for massive dedicated servers that do allow for unlimited bandwidth and hugh numbers of concurrent user logins and downloads.

I don't know how Madmatt copes at CMHQ, but maybe the only alternative is not to host mods!.

Thanks again Mike!

Manx

I was just about to say that about how Matt does it with CMHQ, but with the latest current standing of the slowest AAR ever, that doesn't surprise me. wink.giftongue.gif

So you sign up witha high-bandwidth server and you generate too many hits for their service? Gee, makes you wonder doesn't it?

One way to do it might be to set up multiple Angelfire accounts, with a couple of mods on each. That way, you could just link to them from the main account, and no one account would have a bandwidth overload. This is how I have The Last Defense set up, and it works fine, although it is a hassle remebering which account you have to upload to.

If you want, I can describe this in a bit more detail.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

The Last Defense- Mods, Scenarios, and more!

Originally posted by Manx_CM:

ps - In the short term i may go back to www.combatmissions.co.uk , although due to lack of diskspace on that site, i would have to serve just a selection of the total mods available.

B]

Would offering this service some free hard disks get you more space? I might be able to help out if they would consider that. DekeFentle@mn.mediaone.net

------------------

Winning is why we play!