Fuel for the fire?

hehe, I would have restrained myself, but with the thread topic I can't help myself to observe that

seeing the pictures, it becomes obvious to me how the tripod would considerably enlarge ammo capacity and astonishingly facilitate barrel change and therefore completely alleviate the Bren's main drawbacks... ;)

I love Markus because he is sassy!

Found this at MLU:

"Points of interest: 126,000 tripods of Mk I, Mk II design were manufactured by Canadian Cycle and Motor (CCM), more than half under sub-contract from Inglis. The SMLE rifle could be used as an emergency AA leg by snapping the rifle's bayonet lug onto the AA leg slot."

Every Canadian kid has heard of (or owned a bike by) CCM...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

...manufactured by Canadian Cycle and Motor (CCM)...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

CCM makes hockey helmets and pads as well, do they not? Not that I'm any kind of hockey fan, but an interesting connection.

Let's track down some more tripod production figures too, even if prod. fig.s are not the end of the argument.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The SMLE rifle could be used as an emergency AA leg by snapping the rifle's bayonet lug onto the AA leg slot."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds clever, I wonder how often, if ever, it was actually practiced?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

heh, I would have restrained myself, but with the thread topic I can't help myself to observe that seeing the pictures, it becomes obvious to me how the tripod would considerably enlarge ammo capacity and astonishingly facilitate barrel changes and therefore complete alleviate the Bren's main drawbacks...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was under the impression that the Bren was equipped with a quick change barrel. I seem to remember from my training as a school cadet, way back in the days of yore that indeed it had this thingy called a carrying handle and a lock on the barrel which was flicked up, after cocking the weapon and which allowed the No.2 to change the barrels quickly. Am I misremembering or something?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ogadai:

[/qb]

I was under the impression that the Bren was equipped with a quick change barrel. I seem to remember from my training as a school cadet, way back in the days of yore that indeed it had this thingy called a carrying handle and a lock on the barrel which was flicked up, after cocking the weapon and which allowed the No.2 to change the barrels quickly. Am I misremembering or something?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, you haven't misremembered. Yes, the Bren did have a quick change barrel. Andreas is merely trolling for a response. Slappy believes that Brens are machines guns but rather automatic rifles. Which indicates more about his ignorance of the difference between the two classes of weapons rather than necessarily reality.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Brian ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:

Andreas is merely trolling for a response. Slappy believes that Brens are machines guns but rather automatic rifles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you been smoking that weedy stuff again? I have not even posted to this thread, Eumundi.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Have you been smoking that weedy stuff again? I have not even posted to this thread, Eumundi.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually I think it is just harrassing fire. One over the bow just to keep the waters in turmoil so to speak.

[ 10-22-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by M Hofbauer:

hehe, I would have restrained myself, but with the thread topic I can't help myself to observe that

seeing the pictures, it becomes obvious to me how the tripod would considerably enlarge ammo capacity and astonishingly facilitate barrel change and therefore completely alleviate the Bren's main drawbacks... ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In fact. even though it was used rarely enough to be the Commonwealth equivilant of a Ferdinand, it still created this uber weapon capable of firing 25,000 rounds a minute despite having a barrell that masses half that of the MG 42 and magazine feed. And that tripod only masses 250mg, so it does not impede a squad at all. One marvels at the anti commonwealth bias that BTS displays for not adding this rare uber weapon to the line up of commonwealth death machines.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Have you been smoking that weedy stuff again? I have not even posted to this thread, Eumundi.<hr></blockquote>

My apologies. You're right. I got you and Markus (?) mixed up.

The gist however remains the same. Slappy believes a weapon classified as an LMG should instead be treated as an AR...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Commissar:

Actually there is Tamiya News Report that shows pictures of small arms of WW2 and it has a Bren on a tripod.<hr></blockquote>

That alone should constitute indisputable proof that everybody used them all the time!

;););););)

Michael

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

That alone should constitute indisputable proof that everybody used them all the time!

;););););)

Michael

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]<hr></blockquote>

Actually, I noted that my cousin's new toy soldiers: Commonwealth with soup bowl helmets and bolt action rifles no less, had tripod mounted Brens.

Seriously, the machineguns look like little Japanese top box feed machineguns on wimpy tripods, so I wonder what or where they took the model. I called the plastics company, and it is made in Taiwan from old molds.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]</p>