Buying "Air Superiority"

The Allies had air superiority from D-Day through the end of the war, yes? The ground-to-air defense options in CMBO seems to confirm this (i.e. I can buy a BOFORS as the allies)...

Why not an option for allies to buy “air superiority” for the duration of the battle. Make it reasonably expensive—1.5x the cost of a jabo. Or, if the allies buy a jabo and the axis as well—then neither show up. Either way the allies are out a bunch of points, and the krauts rolled the dice and lost.

I know “air” is a wholly unreliable purchase-- but a recent setup really caused me angst. It had a shock force equivalent to a mechanized company with lots of armor in support—but I kept having this vision of 1 or 2 500# bombs falling in this vehicle park knocking out 10 halftracks. I’d hate to surrender on turn 2 of a 75 turn, 7500 point clash. I didn't trust the BOFORS.

I would have spent 350-400 points just as insurance against any German air. "Air superiority" wouldn't include allied ground attacks, but would increase the liklihood no German air could penetrate the field to the field of battle.

You should just learn to trust your flak. 5 40mm guns should be more than enough to ensure the demise of any fighter.

Buying air supuriority is out of the scope of CM. Remember, you're playing the role of the battalion or company commander here. They couldn't have requested "Enough fighters that there won't be any enemy airplanes around," especially as the Germans.

Just get plenty of flak, don't bunch up your tanks if you hear engine noises overhead, and wait out the rockets or bombs.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by -Havermeyer-:

The Allies had air superiority from D-Day through the end of the war, yes? The ground-to-air defense options in CMBO seems to confirm this (i.e. I can buy a BOFORS as the allies)...

Why not an option for allies to buy “air superiority” for the duration of the battle. Make it reasonably expensive—1.5x the cost of a jabo. Or, if the allies buy a jabo and the axis as well—then neither show up. Either way the allies are out a bunch of points, and the krauts rolled the dice and lost.

I know “air” is a wholly unreliable purchase-- but a recent setup really caused me angst. It had a shock force equivalent to a mechanized company with lots of armor in support—but I kept having this vision of 1 or 2 500# bombs falling in this vehicle park knocking out 10 halftracks. I’d hate to surrender on turn 2 of a 75 turn, 7500 point clash. I didn't trust the BOFORS.

I would have spent 350-400 points just as insurance against any German air. "Air superiority" wouldn't include allied ground attacks, but would increase the liklihood no German air could penetrate the field to the field of battle.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your fear is the entire point! The game makes you think like a real commander would - If you want an arcade game, I suggest Castle Wolfenstein! ;) Don't set up "vehicle parks" - enemy artillery will also be bad for them. Stick to cover where possible. Pray for good luck and invest in a lucky charm. Real commanders could only do the same.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but I kept having this vision of 1 or 2 500# bombs falling in this vehicle park knocking out 10 halftracks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are worried that one bomb run is going to wipe out 10 of your HTs then your problem is not who controls the skies but how you deploy your assets. Remember, a barrage of 81s can wipe out those same HTs as well as any Jabo run, and you're more likely to see that then CAS. Dispersion is a beautiful thing.

------------------

Frag Hanoi Jane

I think Havermeyer's point is that German air attacks on ground forces was virtually non-existent in the ETO. Given that the Americans have no AA capability in CM, the fear of 3 fighter bombers is real, regardless of whether you have a vehicle park or not. (oops, wait, is the bofors american as well as british?). And yes, I did have 3 fighter bombers. Was that historically accurate? Probably not. But hey, it's a custom scenario.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

That's not entirely true. There were isolated incidents of German air raids on US positions. As related in "Overlord" by Hastings - the commanders made a Bug Stink and some high ranking officer in the air force brought back recon photos showing the roads behind allied lines jammed with truck and vechicles of all kinds, and photos of the roads behind German lines totally empty. The ground commanders got the message and shut up.

Sh*t happens in war.

Hey Juardis and Hav, is this the battle that I built for you? Have you started yet?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Given that the Americans have no AA capability in CM, the fear of 3 fighter bombers is real, regardless of whether you have a vehicle park or not. (oops, wait, is the bofors american as well as british?).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Americans, French, Canadians, and British have 40mm bofors guns. They're the deadliest things in the world against buildings. Area fire from one will take out a light building in half a turn, easy.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 01-17-2001).]